Albums With Great Production and Sound

Mr. JD

There are many albums I listen to just because they sound so good. Garth Brooks is a good example. I really don't care much for his music but his albums sound so good i enjoy listening to them. Here are few others that sound superior;

Kansas - Leftoverture

The Cars - Candy-O

The Fixx - Ultimate Hits

Rush - Counterparts

John Mellencamp - Words and Music (Greatest Hits)

Collective Soul - Dosage

I can list a bunch of others.

What's your opinion?

• Like 2

So far...everything I have heard by Steven Wilson. Really loved To The Bone, and finally listening to his music is mesmerising me. He is a perfect musician!
  • Like 3

As mentioned above, Moving Pictures and Avalon are both beautifully recorded.

The 3 King Crimson "new wave" albums (Discipline, Beat, 3 of a Perfect Pair) were also very well-recorded, as was "Hounds of Love" by Kate Bush.

And I really enjoy the sound of Talk Talk's 'Laughing Stock'.

('Spirit of Eden' while just as musically impressive, has a darker, gauze-like mix, where 'Laughing Stock' is crisp, clear and clean and pretty damn perfect.)

I find the Steely Dan albums so slick they just roll right off my ears!

• Like 2

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack through News Of The World

Rush - MP and PeW, and 2112 and AFTK

Muse - The Resistance, OoS, Drones, T2L

Genesis - Abacab, Genesis, Foxtrot, SEBTP, W&W, Duke, ATOTT

Bowie - Ziggy, Scary Monsters, Low, Station To Station

just some favs from my top five up there, some random others:

Close To The Edge, DSOTM, Animals, The Wall, Back In Black, Paranoid, Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction, Images And Words, Master Of Puppets, Quadrophenia, Who's Next, Led Zep (in general), Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, OK Computer, Wasting Light, To Pimp A Butterfly, Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, Point Of Know Return, Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, Mylo Xyloto, Boston, Van Halen, Is This It, A New World Record, Night Visions, The World's Best American Band, Rumors, Hot Fuss, Dookie, American Idiot, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, The Getaway, Random Access Memories, Screaming For Vengeance, The Number Of The Beast...

and many many more.

• Like 2

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack through News Of The World

Rush - MP and PeW, and 2112 and AFTK

Muse - The Resistance, OoS, Drones, T2L

Genesis - Abacab, Genesis, Foxtrot, SEBTP, W&W, Duke, ATOTT

Bowie - Ziggy, Scary Monsters, Low, Station To Station

just some favs from my top five up there, some random others:

Close To The Edge, DSOTM, Animals, The Wall, Back In Black, Paranoid, Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction, Images And Words, Master Of Puppets, Quadrophenia, Who's Next, Led Zep (in general), Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, OK Computer, Wasting Light, To Pimp A Butterfly, Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, Point Of Know Return, Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, Mylo Xyloto, Boston, Van Halen, Is This It, A New World Record, Night Visions, The World's Best American Band, Rumors, Hot Fuss, Dookie, American Idiot, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, The Getaway, Random Access Memories, Screaming For Vengeance, The Number Of The Beast...

and many many more.

However, Moving Pictures / Permanent Waves / A Day At The Races is my golden standard.

• Like 3

Tangerine Dream's Phaedra come to mind

Fragile still sounds amazing today

Bob Ezrin brought in a calliope, a choir, an orchestra, miked up his kids with a inner-ear microphone and KISS' Destroyer still sounds better than anything today

• Like 1

Don't Cry Now, Heart Like A Wheel, Prisoner In Disguise, Hasten Down The Wind, Simple Dreams; all by Linda Ronstadt and produced by Peter Asher. I'm not sure if you were thinking of solo vocal recordings when you asked the question, but Asher did such a wonderful job of catching the beauty of her voice back then. I really love that period of her work.

Supertramp albums sound fantastic. Famous Last Words and Crime of the Century, in particular. Dire Straits' Love Over Gold and Brothers in Arms are perfectly recorded. Vastly different from those groups' albums, music-wise, but also stellar in sonic quality is Nirvana's Nevermind.
  • Like 3

In the Woods... - Pure

First album in like 15 years. One of my favorite bands and a totally unexpected style change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0scq01SBs

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Astounding album, a sonic MASTERPIECE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chaYm2TqfHM

Paysage d'hiver

Typical of this artist. My second favorite Black Metal act. The absolute master of atmosphere. His music will make you feel as if you're trapped in a blizzard in the alps and are literally at the edges of your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSO77ExdzDk

Edited by Nate2112

Paysage d'hiver

Typical of this artist. My second favorite Black Metal act. The absolute master of atmosphere. His music will make you feel as if you're trapped in a blizzard in the alps and are literally at the edges of your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSO77ExdzDk

:eh: