The Rush Forum's Top 200 TV Shows

KenJennings

We know this drill by now. Rules copied over from similar threads:

1) One show per post .. They should be shows that YOU enjoy, not so much shows that you feel have achieved greatness thru popularity or influence.

2) A TRF member can only post an movie every 5 picks.

3) Please copy and paste the list as you post.

4) Please give a brief reason beneath your pick as to why you're choosing that particular show. That way it'll be a little more than just a huge list thread.

We'll start by going for 200... if we want to make it more, we can go from there.

• Like 3

1) Star Trek

I consider Star Trek the most important TV show ever created. The influence it has had on science, technology, social issues, and humanity's general view of the future is incalculable. Your cell phone, your iPad, your 3D printer, your computer's voice interface- Star Trek did it all first, inspiring the world of technology. Star Trek has also advanced social justice, using allegory to bring difficult issues to the forefront of minds that otherwise may have been pigeonholed by the realities of the day- and it did so without ever being mean spirited or alienating, and putting people out. The vision of the future it presented was uniquely optimistic and vibrant. It gave us iconic characters that have stood the test of time by motivating us all to be better. There's no wonder the series has survived for 50 years, influencing millions in its time.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 3

1) Star Trek ( Ken Jennings )

2) The Wire ( Maverick )

3) Kung Fu ( Johnny Blaze )

4) Mad Men ( Rushian King )

5) All In The Family ( Narps )

6) The Twilight Zone ( Lucas )

Rod Serling and a host of brilliant writers break ground .. Often imitated, never duplicated

Richard Matheson was a genius

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 5

Btw for the record my copy & paste skills blow lol. Also All In The Family as a breakthrough and iconic show pretty much speaks for itself. Sorry for breaking the rules so quickly...

Btw for the record my copy & paste skills blow lol. Also All In The Family as a breakthrough and iconic show pretty much speaks for itself. Sorry for breaking the rules so quickly...

The first few years of All in the Family are better than any other sitcom ever. The problem is I don't think it sustained in the later years

• Like 2

The first few years of All in the Family are better than any other sitcom ever. The problem is I don't think it sustained in the later years

Agree 1000%. As with most everything in life it went on way too long(notable exceptions Barry Sanders & Jim Brown to name a couple). Most people and entities never know when enough is enough...
  • Like 1

2) The Wire ( Maverick )

7) Six Feet Under (custom55)

Great HBO series and the casting was perfect. I was very sad once the series ended. Loved the theme song !!!

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Agree 1000%. As with most everything in life it went on way too long(notable exceptions Barry Sanders & Jim Brown to name a couple). Most people and entities never know when enough is enough...

Yeah, TV shows go on for way too long in the US. Even a lot of the great ones become hit and miss once they get past the fifth or sixth seasons. They get too far away from the original intent of the show that later seasons don't have the same impact and have too much filler. I've have seen shows that have fallen off in later seasons and have been able to recover though. There are a select few that have been able to keep it strong through a long run.

All In The Family is no exception. It was a fantastic, groundbreaking show but there isn't too much that is must see in the later seasons.

• Like 1

8) 30 Rock (Segue Myles)

One of my favourite shows ever. It is something I return too when my depression gets bleak.

• Like 3

2) The Wire ( Maverick )

8) 30 Rock (Segue Myles)

9)Taxi (thesweetscience)

10) The Ren and Stimpy Show (hemibeers)

• Like 4

2) The Wire ( Maverick )

8) 30 Rock (Segue Myles)

9)Taxi (thesweetscience)

11) The Venture Bros. (ReRushed)

A great blend of sci-fi, fantasy, comic books and pop culture. A wonderful parody with characters that will endear themselves to you. Great stories, great plots, great jokes.

• Like 2

The only sitcom that sustained all the way through its long run is Cheers. If someone doesn't list it soon, I probably will.

• Like 2

2) The Wire ( Maverick )

8) 30 Rock (Segue Myles)

9)Taxi (thesweetscience)

A great blend of sci-fi, fantasy, comic books and pop culture. A wonderful parody with characters that will endear themselves to you. Great stories, great plots, great jokes.

Since I can't copy and paste I'll do this lol. One of my personal favs...

12 Green Acres so silly it's hilarious(at least to me it is)

• Like 1

The only sitcom that sustained all the way through its long run is Cheers. If someone doesn't list it soon, I probably will.

Cheers didn't drop off too badly in the later years. They also had a few major cast changes which helped to keep things fresher. Not every long running show has that or can replace major characters but they rolled with the changes very well.

2) The Wire ( Maverick )

8) 30 Rock (Segue Myles)

9)Taxi (thesweetscience)

Since I can't copy and paste I'll do this lol. One of my personal favs...

12 Green Acres so silly it's hilarious(at least to me it is)

13. X-Files (Permanent-Rush)

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 4

Cheers didn't drop off too badly in the later years. They also had a few major cast changes which helped to keep things fresher. Not every long running show has that or can replace major characters but they rolled with the changes very well.

:yes:

Rebecca and Woody were good replacements for Diane and Coach. The transition was smooth and not a rehashing either.

Additionally, the series finale is one of the best, if not THE best, ever for any tv show.

2) The Wire ( Maverick )

8) 30 Rock (Segue Myles)

9)Taxi (thesweetscience)

12) Green Acres ( Narps )

13) X Files ( Permanent Rush )

14) The Odd Couple ( Lucas )

Tony Randall and Jack Klugman .. The iconic opening and theme song .. 1970s Manhattan .. IMHO, the greatest chemistry a cast ever had ..

• Like 2