Jump to content


Donna Halper's latest blog, re: Neil


  • Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

Sponsored Post

#82 Anthemic

Anthemic

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 742 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostLucas, on 20 September 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 20 September 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 20 September 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 September 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 15 September 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 15 September 2017 - 11:13 PM, said:

"In my former shallow, perhaps callous, world-view, I had enjoyed my life and appreciated my family and friends, but I had often been annoyed by the feeling that everyone else just wanted something from me.  But now life, which I had once idealized as a generous deity offering adventure and delight, had betrayed my faith viciously, and in the aftermath it was people who had held me up and held me together with unstinting care and unimagined affection.
"With regard to 'unimagined affection,' I confess that I am one of those people who, in a deep and secret place, can never imagine why anyone would actually like them.  Respect maybe, or even appreciate, but not really care for.  This psychology (or psychosis or neurosis) is not about self-esteem or pride, for most people seem to possess sufficient reserves of these qualities, or some facsimile thereof, but it is more a sense of one's ineptitude in the social graces, a perceived 'disability' in what seemed to be the normal social routines of being charming, funny, entertaining, and forthcoming with another person...."

Ghost Rider p. 35

Peart was feeling absolutely gutted at the time - I know (and unfortunately too many others do as well) what he was going through.  A self-professed socially awkward individual who has just lost the two people he probably loved most in the world is probably going to be pissed at life, and at other people.  In grief I will confess I had those thoughts - why are so many shitty people allowed to live when my wife, the epitome of sweetness who never hurt anyone in her entire life, had to die so young?

If you don't think age, relentless physical decline and devastating loss will change you, will change your attitude towards people . . . well, enjoy it while you can, I guess.

Sorry, folks.  Just feeling particularly lonely and raw tonight.

You make a great point Toymaker

But as you point out, suffering and loss is universal .. It is one thing to feel animosity or anger towards other human beings, but another thing altogether to write it in a book ..

Loss and the gut wrenching realities in life can take people into some unpleasant places, but it is up to that person to make the decision which way is out ..

Do I resent and despise others, or do I find the bond and spark we all share - and see life and all living things as they are - precious and to be respected ..

Neil has professed that over and over in his lyrics

We all say shit we don't mean and we all have our boiling point ..

As I mentioned, Neil has played a big role in a very happy and positive place in my life .. but to see him come across as he has, I have lost some respect for him ..

What he wrote was cowardly, and if picking on people for being overweight or typically American or being less educated is his way of coping with loss - instead of doing something positive like volunteer work or at least sympathizing with the hell that life can be for all people - then I'm not going to have a whole lot of respect for him as a man

People put him up on a pedestal because he's famous and they can identify with some of the lyrics he has written. But he is as human as the rest of us and with the same issues.

Conversely, because of who he is and his contributions to a rock band, fans will cut him a lot more slack when he says something demeaning, condescending or elitist ..

Relate some of the stories about how he treats people he doesn't even know and what he says in his book in an anonymous fashion - without knowing who said it - and I would think a lot of the people who feel it is just Neil being shy would think "What an ass"

HAHAHA!  I love being that condescending Hard Core Rush Fan Prick then.  I have my 2112 stripes to prove it.  I have the right.  I love making fun of Neil, but at the end of the day he will always be my number one.

Neil rules man.  Oh and "The Color Of Right" is a piece of shit.


Hey!  I've earned my place in Rush Fandom.  I literally paid for Neil's bikes.  Alex's golf clubs and Geddy's autographed baseball collection.

I've paid my dues man, and RUSH has never let me down live.

They are the greatest band that will ever be on the face of the earth to me.

Right?

Like Entre said last night.  I am fearless on here.

I had thin skin.  But know to quote a great RUN DMC album and their last epic release, my skin is "TOUGHER THAN LEATHER!"

I honesty don't care what many of you think about me.  I used to and it hurt.  But over the years I was able to figure out who my real friends were on here in this fuckingg one dimensional communication white box cyber land.

Through all of the ups and downs on here I have managed to survive and thrive.

I will never change.  I will just try to take it down to a 5 if some asshole on here ever tries to challenge me.

Remember.  I will NEVER provoke or start drama.

However if someone ever fuckks me then I will "GO FOR THE THROAT!"  LOL!

LOVE,

Y&T


RUSH RULES!

THiS FORUM IS GOOD!

No one is perfect.


God I love Neil.

That's ironic right?  LOL

I am FEARLESS.

Neil is "FAITHLESS"

Earl, my post was about Neil, not you

when you think a message board is your shrink, everything is about you!

#83 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:23 AM

Donna Halper also did a radio interview on Sept 21 that touches upon this topic here.

#84 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:31 AM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

Well, you can hear it a lot if you talk to Earl. He can hook you up! :P

#85 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:31 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

Well, you can hear it a lot if you talk to Earl. He can hook you up! :P

Y'know... hangin with Earl would be a trip.

#86 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 521 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cygnus X-1
  • Interests:Many

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

I'm personally fine Rush retired when they did, instead of doing endless Greatest Hits tours.

#87 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 23 September 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

Well, you can hear it a lot if you talk to Earl. He can hook you up! :P

Y'know... hangin with Earl would be a trip.

It'd be more like an expedition! ;)

#88 snowdogged

snowdogged

    Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

  • Members *
  • 4741 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 23 September 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

Well, you can hear it a lot if you talk to Earl. He can hook you up! :P

Y'know... hangin with Earl would be a trip.

It'd be more like an expedition! ;)
....with a good chance of ending up dead or in jail. :D

#89 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

View Postsnowdogged, on 23 September 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 23 September 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

Well, you can hear it a lot if you talk to Earl. He can hook you up! :P

Y'know... hangin with Earl would be a trip.

It'd be more like an expedition! ;)
....with a good chance of ending up dead or in jail. :D

Nah. But I can totally imagine going deaf within 30 seconds as everything is screamed at you "Earl style"...


Earl: JOHNNYBLAZE!!! I'M BLESSED AND I'M CURSED!!! HOW THE FUKK ARE YOU?!

Me: Not too shabby. How about yourself?

Earl: YOU KNOW ME! LIVIN' THE DREAM, 24/7! WANNA GRAB SOME BEERS?

Me: Sure. But hey, why are you screaming?

Earl: AM I?!

:hail:

#90 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3764 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

View Postsnowdogged, on 23 September 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 23 September 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

Well, you can hear it a lot if you talk to Earl. He can hook you up! :P

Y'know... hangin with Earl would be a trip.

It'd be more like an expedition! ;)
....with a good chance of ending up dead or in jail. :D
it would be sort of like this movie...

https://www.youtube....h?v=8m662obIvhY

#91 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3885 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

View Postsnowdogged, on 16 September 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 15 September 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 14 September 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 14 September 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View PostRon2112, on 14 September 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Meh.  Written like a non-musician describing a colleague retiring from an accounting firm.

You don't just quit playing music if you love it that much.  You learn how to live within whatever limitations nature is imposing on you.  We are allocated only so many days to create music.  Sitting at home and staring out the window seems like such a waste.

Been playing in bands for 35 years now, and I imagine I'll do it for 35 more.  Until they find me dead and someone has to pry my guitar out of my slowly rotting hands.

This is why Neil bagging on Charlie Watts in the R40 movie rubbed me the wrong way.  Say what you want about the Stones....Charlie is out there doing what he loves.  Not sitting on his front porch, carping about his arthritis.
if that's your passion and you want to die with 'your boots on', then great. But for many people, the last thing they want to be doing while they're retired is doing the same thing they did while working. As much as Neil has traveled I could totally see him not wanting to travel and to be a bit of a home-body. As uncomfortable as it is to say, some musicians are just too old to perform (charlie watts) and need to hang it up.

After 40 years...seriously...what musical challenges are left for any of the guys in Rush?

just because you're a good soldier doesn't mean you have to die a soldier.

True, but there's another side of it for musicians that involves passion for music and loving what you do. Let's face it, Neil hasn't enjoyed the process of touring for quite a while and his love for drumming has probably lost out to how much pain he's in while doing it and how incredibly difficult it must be for him to perform at such a high level now.

Like others, I am shocked he continued as long as he did. I think it was partly doing it for Alex and Geddy and partly the financial part of it. I think Neil would have retired from touring much sooner if not for the fact that Rush's popularity really took off in the last decade. Prices have gone up more and more and they were selling out more and more arenas. It was probably tough for Neil to walk away from the million dollar + incomes that came with doing a tour.

I doubt anyone in the band was expecting Rush to be even bigger in the 21st century than they were in the 20th century.
There is no question that Rush gets much more media exposure in the 21st century and more respect from the media in general, but there is no f'ing way Rush is bigger than they were when Moving Pictures was released.

I can't think of a metric that would measure Rush being bigger during Moving Pictures than they became in the 21st century other than record sales and even that isn't as clear cut with the downloading/streaming that goes on that would negate sales. They've played to more people and earned more money (touring, merchandising, licensing, etc...) per tour  and have become more of a footprint in pop culture.

Moving Pictures is a huge album and their biggest seller having sold more than 4 million copies but nearly half of that occurred in the 21st century.

#92 snowdogged

snowdogged

    Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

  • Members *
  • 4741 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

View Postytserush, on 23 September 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

View Postsnowdogged, on 16 September 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 15 September 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 14 September 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 14 September 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View PostRon2112, on 14 September 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Meh.  Written like a non-musician describing a colleague retiring from an accounting firm.

You don't just quit playing music if you love it that much.  You learn how to live within whatever limitations nature is imposing on you.  We are allocated only so many days to create music.  Sitting at home and staring out the window seems like such a waste.

Been playing in bands for 35 years now, and I imagine I'll do it for 35 more.  Until they find me dead and someone has to pry my guitar out of my slowly rotting hands.

This is why Neil bagging on Charlie Watts in the R40 movie rubbed me the wrong way.  Say what you want about the Stones....Charlie is out there doing what he loves.  Not sitting on his front porch, carping about his arthritis.
if that's your passion and you want to die with 'your boots on', then great. But for many people, the last thing they want to be doing while they're retired is doing the same thing they did while working. As much as Neil has traveled I could totally see him not wanting to travel and to be a bit of a home-body. As uncomfortable as it is to say, some musicians are just too old to perform (charlie watts) and need to hang it up.

After 40 years...seriously...what musical challenges are left for any of the guys in Rush?

just because you're a good soldier doesn't mean you have to die a soldier.

True, but there's another side of it for musicians that involves passion for music and loving what you do. Let's face it, Neil hasn't enjoyed the process of touring for quite a while and his love for drumming has probably lost out to how much pain he's in while doing it and how incredibly difficult it must be for him to perform at such a high level now.

Like others, I am shocked he continued as long as he did. I think it was partly doing it for Alex and Geddy and partly the financial part of it. I think Neil would have retired from touring much sooner if not for the fact that Rush's popularity really took off in the last decade. Prices have gone up more and more and they were selling out more and more arenas. It was probably tough for Neil to walk away from the million dollar + incomes that came with doing a tour.

I doubt anyone in the band was expecting Rush to be even bigger in the 21st century than they were in the 20th century.
There is no question that Rush gets much more media exposure in the 21st century and more respect from the media in general, but there is no f'ing way Rush is bigger than they were when Moving Pictures was released.

I can't think of a metric that would measure Rush being bigger during Moving Pictures than they became in the 21st century other than record sales and even that isn't as clear cut with the downloading/streaming that goes on that would negate sales. They've played to more people and earned more money (touring, merchandising, licensing, etc...) per tour  and have become more of a footprint in pop culture.

Moving Pictures is a huge album and their biggest seller having sold more than 4 million copies but nearly half of that occurred in the 21st century.
Rush sold 4 million copies of Moving Pictures by 1995, so you are gravely mistaken in saying that they sold half of the 4 million in the 21st century. Also they made more money on touring and merchandising in the 21st century because that is the way most bands/artists make money these days. They used to tour to promote the albums and make most of their money from album sales but now they have to rely on touring and merchandising to make the bulk of their money, Rush's fan base practically doubled after the release of Moving Pictures and then went down considerably with the release of Signals.

#93 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:23 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

I love Faith No More!

#94 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

View Postsnowdogged, on 23 September 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 23 September 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 September 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 20 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Angel dust...now there's a phrase I've not heard in a long time.

Well, you can hear it a lot if you talk to Earl. He can hook you up! :P

Y'know... hangin with Earl would be a trip.

It'd be more like an expedition! ;)
....with a good chance of ending up dead or in jail. :D

Nah. But I can totally imagine going deaf within 30 seconds as everything is screamed at you "Earl style"...


Earl: JOHNNYBLAZE!!! I'M BLESSED AND I'M CURSED!!! HOW THE FUKK ARE YOU?!

Me: Not too shabby. How about yourself?

Earl: YOU KNOW ME! LIVIN' THE DREAM, 24/7! WANNA GRAB SOME BEERS?

Me: Sure. But hey, why are you screaming?

Earl: AM I?!

:hail:


HAHAHAHA!  GOOD ONE JB!!!

#95 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

"I AM I" JB!

I WILL NEVER CHANGE!




earl

#96 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 23 September 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

"I AM I" JB!

I WILL NEVER CHANGE!




earl

I AM I in the Promised Land !

Signed,

Geoff Tate

#97 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3885 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

View Postsnowdogged, on 23 September 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 23 September 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

View Postsnowdogged, on 16 September 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 15 September 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 14 September 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 14 September 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View PostRon2112, on 14 September 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Meh.  Written like a non-musician describing a colleague retiring from an accounting firm.

You don't just quit playing music if you love it that much.  You learn how to live within whatever limitations nature is imposing on you.  We are allocated only so many days to create music.  Sitting at home and staring out the window seems like such a waste.

Been playing in bands for 35 years now, and I imagine I'll do it for 35 more.  Until they find me dead and someone has to pry my guitar out of my slowly rotting hands.

This is why Neil bagging on Charlie Watts in the R40 movie rubbed me the wrong way.  Say what you want about the Stones....Charlie is out there doing what he loves.  Not sitting on his front porch, carping about his arthritis.
if that's your passion and you want to die with 'your boots on', then great. But for many people, the last thing they want to be doing while they're retired is doing the same thing they did while working. As much as Neil has traveled I could totally see him not wanting to travel and to be a bit of a home-body. As uncomfortable as it is to say, some musicians are just too old to perform (charlie watts) and need to hang it up.

After 40 years...seriously...what musical challenges are left for any of the guys in Rush?

just because you're a good soldier doesn't mean you have to die a soldier.

True, but there's another side of it for musicians that involves passion for music and loving what you do. Let's face it, Neil hasn't enjoyed the process of touring for quite a while and his love for drumming has probably lost out to how much pain he's in while doing it and how incredibly difficult it must be for him to perform at such a high level now.

Like others, I am shocked he continued as long as he did. I think it was partly doing it for Alex and Geddy and partly the financial part of it. I think Neil would have retired from touring much sooner if not for the fact that Rush's popularity really took off in the last decade. Prices have gone up more and more and they were selling out more and more arenas. It was probably tough for Neil to walk away from the million dollar + incomes that came with doing a tour.

I doubt anyone in the band was expecting Rush to be even bigger in the 21st century than they were in the 20th century.
There is no question that Rush gets much more media exposure in the 21st century and more respect from the media in general, but there is no f'ing way Rush is bigger than they were when Moving Pictures was released.

I can't think of a metric that would measure Rush being bigger during Moving Pictures than they became in the 21st century other than record sales and even that isn't as clear cut with the downloading/streaming that goes on that would negate sales. They've played to more people and earned more money (touring, merchandising, licensing, etc...) per tour  and have become more of a footprint in pop culture.

Moving Pictures is a huge album and their biggest seller having sold more than 4 million copies but nearly half of that occurred in the 21st century.
Rush sold 4 million copies of Moving Pictures by 1995, so you are gravely mistaken in saying that they sold half of the 4 million in the 21st century. Also they made more money on touring and merchandising in the 21st century because that is the way most bands/artists make money these days. They used to tour to promote the albums and make most of their money from album sales but now they have to rely on touring and merchandising to make the bulk of their money, Rush's fan base practically doubled after the release of Moving Pictures and then went down considerably with the release of Signals.

I said nearly half, not that it makes that statement any more right. In 1995, 14 years after Moving Pictures. We are now 22 years past 1995 and the 4 Million and 36 years out from Moving Pictures. We don't have updated numbers and think it's unlikely we get any in the near future if ever. That's why I said it wasn't as clear cut on this particular point.

You're right in that everyone makes more money on touring licensing and merch, but my argument is that not only does Rush make more money than they did themselves in 1981, but that they also make more money on this stuff than 70 percent of anyone who hits the road today on a tour (That's a lowball number, I think it's high but I can't find numbers so I want to be on the safe side.)

It's certainly possible Rush's fan base doubled after Moving Pictures and it likely didn't double at any point in the 21st century, but the cumulative effect has been a steady growth of the touring in this century. Yes, the industry changed, but mean it made the band's footprint in it got smaller. (Well it did on radio obviously, but so did most everyone else's.)

That said, since it's now over it's likely the footprint will suffer.

#98 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3885 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostRushFanForever, on 23 September 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

Donna Halper also did a radio interview on Sept 21 that touches upon this topic here.

Thanks for posting that. Always good to hear a voice of reason in these interesting times.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users