Jump to content


Donna Halper's latest blog, re: Neil


  • Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

  • Members *
  • 9846 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

I really couldn't give a f**k.......

Sponsored Post

#42 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

View PostFridge, on 15 September 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

I really couldn't give a f**k.......

Bastards!  LOL

#43 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:50 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 15 September 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 September 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 September 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 14 September 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

I just don't get why some people are taking Peart's choices so personally . . . or it seems that way.

In spite of the wealth and adoration and perks of being a superstar, it must really suck sometimes.  Dude makes a decision and suddenly every fan is on the spectrum between "he's a f***ing idiot" and "he's earned his retirement."

Maybe it really wasn't an easy decision to make?

Isn't this a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation"?  If he retires, people get pissed because he "didn't do it correctly."  If he tries to keep going the best he can, he gets shit for leaving out drum fills and for exercising his rights to privacy like he has for the last thirty or so years.

There must be some perfect way he could have retired.  Unfortunately, he's a fallible human being and could only come up with lame excuses like I'm in pain and I have a family I'd like to spend time with.

Yeah, some people are just greedy and/or short-sighted with their hobbies and other things they enjoy. And, for some Rush fans, this unfortunately includes the band.

Whatever way Neil was going to retire, it was going to bother some folks. "He could've kept going", "I wish he had done it another way", "True artists and musicians never stop", etc.

Gene Simmons will endorse your post JB for 5000 USD.

Gene knows about overly obsessed fans. Why else would there be Kiss coffins and toilet paper for sale?

"...you like my 7-inch leather heels and going to all of the shows BUT..."

Yep!

I surprised they don't market a 7 inch "Love Gun" strap on or dildo.  Even GHOST has Papa dildos and anal plugs for sale!


What do KISS, RUSH and GHOST all have in common?   MARKETING GENIUSES!

The Alex Lifeson golf club set.

The Neil Peart drummer/biker gloves combo.

Geddy Lee sunglasses.

Are these things on the market? I'm joking of course but I wouldn't doubt that one or all of these could sell.

I could see Alex marketing his own golf clubs!  That would sell!

#44 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:51 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 15 September 2017 - 12:49 AM, said:

View PostFridge, on 15 September 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

I really couldn't give a f**k.......

Bastards!  LOL

Los Bastardos!

Signed,

Sergeant Baker

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 15 September 2017 - 12:52 AM.


#45 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10815 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:13 AM

ehh, I see no problem with fans being put off by Neil

The neat and tidy notion that fan are upset with Neil for retiring just is not accurate

I love the guy, and without Neil, some of my favorite music and best times I had growing up would not have happened ... He's a one of a kind in the history of rock and roll, but the old adage of it's best not to meet your heroes definitely applies to Neil ..

Retiring - whatever .. good for him

But that doesn't change the eye rolling blog entries or the condescending things he has said in his books ...

Ya know what ?? .. Neil is an asshole sometimes ... so what ... So is Gene Simmons, and will always love him

It's OK to be disappointed or put off by Neil ... Doesn't change the way I love his music

I'm just glad Donna Halper was able to make it to Rush's induction to the Walk Of Fame

Posted Image

Edited by Lucas, 15 September 2017 - 01:14 AM.


#46 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:45 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 15 September 2017 - 12:51 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 15 September 2017 - 12:49 AM, said:

View PostFridge, on 15 September 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

I really couldn't give a f**k.......

Bastards!  LOL

Los Bastardos!

Signed,

Sergeant Baker

PRIMUS SUCKS!

#47 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

View PostLucas, on 15 September 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

ehh, I see no problem with fans being put off by Neil

The neat and tidy notion that fan are upset with Neil for retiring just is not accurate

I love the guy, and without Neil, some of my favorite music and best times I had growing up would not have happened ... He's a one of a kind in the history of rock and roll, but the old adage of it's best not to meet your heroes definitely applies to Neil ..

Retiring - whatever .. good for him

But that doesn't change the eye rolling blog entries or the condescending things he has said in his books ...

Ya know what ?? .. Neil is an asshole sometimes ... so what ... So is Gene Simmons, and will always love him

It's OK to be disappointed or put off by Neil ... Doesn't change the way I love his music

I'm just glad Donna Halper was able to make it to Rush's induction to the Walk Of Fame

Posted Image

Yep!  Again!  I wouldn't trade my meeting with Neil for all the tea in China.  It was expected.  But gazing into his beady little black coal eyes and big bloated red face for five seconds in a Mexican Standoff was priceless.  It was truly as if time truly did stand still.   Incredible moment.  Yep!  So what, I met my mentor.  My drumming hero.  I passion for RUSH and my love for Neil will never falter.

I will listen to RUSH music for the rest if my life.

Fuckk It.

#48 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:37 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 15 September 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 15 September 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

ehh, I see no problem with fans being put off by Neil

The neat and tidy notion that fan are upset with Neil for retiring just is not accurate

I love the guy, and without Neil, some of my favorite music and best times I had growing up would not have happened ... He's a one of a kind in the history of rock and roll, but the old adage of it's best not to meet your heroes definitely applies to Neil ..

Retiring - whatever .. good for him

But that doesn't change the eye rolling blog entries or the condescending things he has said in his books ...

Ya know what ?? .. Neil is an asshole sometimes ... so what ... So is Gene Simmons, and will always love him

It's OK to be disappointed or put off by Neil ... Doesn't change the way I love his music

I'm just glad Donna Halper was able to make it to Rush's induction to the Walk Of Fame

Posted Image

Yep!  Again!  I wouldn't trade my meeting with Neil for all the tea in China.  It was expected.  But gazing into his beady little black coal eyes and big bloated red face for five seconds in a Mexican Standoff was priceless.  It was truly as if time truly did stand still.   Incredible moment.  Yep!  So what, I met my mentor.  My drumming hero.  I passion for RUSH and my love for Neil will never falter.

I will listen to RUSH music for the rest if my life.

Fuckk It.

So which one of you was Tuco and which one was Angel Eyes? Neither of you could be Blondie of course

#49 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 15 September 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 15 September 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 September 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 September 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 14 September 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

I just don't get why some people are taking Peart's choices so personally . . . or it seems that way.

In spite of the wealth and adoration and perks of being a superstar, it must really suck sometimes.  Dude makes a decision and suddenly every fan is on the spectrum between "he's a f***ing idiot" and "he's earned his retirement."

Maybe it really wasn't an easy decision to make?

Isn't this a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation"?  If he retires, people get pissed because he "didn't do it correctly."  If he tries to keep going the best he can, he gets shit for leaving out drum fills and for exercising his rights to privacy like he has for the last thirty or so years.

There must be some perfect way he could have retired.  Unfortunately, he's a fallible human being and could only come up with lame excuses like I'm in pain and I have a family I'd like to spend time with.

Yeah, some people are just greedy and/or short-sighted with their hobbies and other things they enjoy. And, for some Rush fans, this unfortunately includes the band.

Whatever way Neil was going to retire, it was going to bother some folks. "He could've kept going", "I wish he had done it another way", "True artists and musicians never stop", etc.

Gene Simmons will endorse your post JB for 5000 USD.

Gene knows about overly obsessed fans. Why else would there be Kiss coffins and toilet paper for sale?

"...you like my 7-inch leather heels and going to all of the shows BUT..."

Yep!

I surprised they don't market a 7 inch "Love Gun" strap on or dildo.  Even GHOST has Papa dildos and anal plugs for sale!


What do KISS, RUSH and GHOST all have in common?   MARKETING GENIUSES!

The Alex Lifeson golf club set.

The Neil Peart drummer/biker gloves combo.

Geddy Lee sunglasses.

Are these things on the market? I'm joking of course but I wouldn't doubt that one or all of these could sell.

I could see Alex marketing his own golf clubs!  That would sell!

There was a bag for sale on backstage club at one time.

#50 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10299 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostLucas, on 15 September 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

Ya know what ?? .. Neil is an asshole sometimes ... so what ...

We are no different than Neil Peart.  
I'm an asshole sometimes.
You're an asshole sometimes.
Joe Schmoe across the street is an asshole sometimes.
Geddy and Alex are assholes sometimes.  

Every single one of us has said or done something rude, condescending, or deserving of being called an asshole.  The only difference between us and Neil Peart is that we've never published our inner thoughts and negative opinions for the entire world to read.

#51 Tick

Tick

    Mr: 26,000!!!

  • Members *
  • 26346 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm not in this stove!
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 September 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Blah blah blah.... old boring news.  I am surprised Donna wasted her time with this blog............


YYZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
She loves to hear herself rant. Her eternal 15 minutes continues...

#52 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1437 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 14 September 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 14 September 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

If he retires, people get pissed because he "didn't do it correctly."  

THIS is the worst crime of all, IMO.  We fans know nothing about how Neil Peart retired, and how he communicated his retirement to his band mates.  We have never been privy to their personal communications.  It is shameful to state or imply that Neil somehow did his bandmates wrong.  



We know enough to know that the day after Neil mentioned his daughter calling him a retired drummer, Ged was doing damage control in the press stating it wasn't true.  I think that says something about how Neil communicated it to his band mates.

Edited by Wil1972, 15 September 2017 - 09:01 AM.


#53 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostTick, on 15 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 September 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Blah blah blah.... old boring news.  I am surprised Donna wasted her time with this blog............


YYZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
She loves to hear herself rant. Her eternal 15 minutes continues...

Your definition of "rant" greatly differs from mine.

#54 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10815 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 15 September 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 15 September 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

Ya know what ?? .. Neil is an asshole sometimes ... so what ...

We are no different than Neil Peart.  
I'm an asshole sometimes.
You're an asshole sometimes.
Joe Schmoe across the street is an asshole sometimes.
Geddy and Alex are assholes sometimes.  

Every single one of us has said or done something rude, condescending, or deserving of being called an asshole.  The only difference between us and Neil Peart is that we've never published our inner thoughts and negative opinions for the entire world to read.

I don't disagree PM, however, I think more people read this forum than some of Neil's crappy books !!!


;)



#55 Ron2112

Ron2112

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 553 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fairfax Station, VA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

View Postzappafrank, on 14 September 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

View PostRon2112, on 14 September 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Meh.  Written like a non-musician describing a colleague retiring from an accounting firm.

You don't just quit playing music if you love it that much.  You learn how to live within whatever limitations nature is imposing on you.  We are allocated only so many days to create music.  Sitting at home and staring out the window seems like such a waste.

Been playing in bands for 35 years now, and I imagine I'll do it for 35 more.  Until they find me dead and someone has to pry my guitar out of my slowly rotting hands.

This is why Neil bagging on Charlie Watts in the R40 movie rubbed me the wrong way.  Say what you want about the Stones....Charlie is out there doing what he loves.  Not sitting on his front porch, carping about his arthritis.

How about... you do you, and Neil does Neil, and you don't judge him one way or the other?

....which would be great.  Except that Neil is publishing books about this.  Put your feelings out there on paper, and you open the door for discussion.

#56 Ron2112

Ron2112

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 553 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fairfax Station, VA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 14 September 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostRon2112, on 14 September 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Meh.  Written like a non-musician describing a colleague retiring from an accounting firm.

You don't just quit playing music if you love it that much.  You learn how to live within whatever limitations nature is imposing on you.  We are allocated only so many days to create music.  Sitting at home and staring out the window seems like such a waste.

Been playing in bands for 35 years now, and I imagine I'll do it for 35 more.  Until they find me dead and someone has to pry my guitar out of my slowly rotting hands.

This is why Neil bagging on Charlie Watts in the R40 movie rubbed me the wrong way.  Say what you want about the Stones....Charlie is out there doing what he loves.  Not sitting on his front porch, carping about his arthritis.

You've been playing in bands for 35 years now so let me ask you this. Have you been touring as extensively that entire time as Neil did during his years with Rush?

By "touring extensively", do you mean having a crew set up my equipment, haul it to gigs, while I travel on a beautiful bus and the only obligation I have is to show up for 45 minutes of soundcheck and 2.5 hours of playing?

No....a typical Friday gig for most of us is putting in a full day at our day job, setting up at the venue for a couple hours, playing a four hour show, packing up, and getting home at 3:00 am.  Then up at 6:00 to get the kids to sports.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

#57 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostRon2112, on 15 September 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 14 September 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostRon2112, on 14 September 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Meh.  Written like a non-musician describing a colleague retiring from an accounting firm.

You don't just quit playing music if you love it that much.  You learn how to live within whatever limitations nature is imposing on you.  We are allocated only so many days to create music.  Sitting at home and staring out the window seems like such a waste.

Been playing in bands for 35 years now, and I imagine I'll do it for 35 more.  Until they find me dead and someone has to pry my guitar out of my slowly rotting hands.

This is why Neil bagging on Charlie Watts in the R40 movie rubbed me the wrong way.  Say what you want about the Stones....Charlie is out there doing what he loves.  Not sitting on his front porch, carping about his arthritis.

You've been playing in bands for 35 years now so let me ask you this. Have you been touring as extensively that entire time as Neil did during his years with Rush?

By "touring extensively", do you mean having a crew set up my equipment, haul it to gigs, while I travel on a beautiful bus and the only obligation I have is to show up for 45 minutes of soundcheck and 2.5 hours of playing?

No....a typical Friday gig for most of us is putting in a full day at our day job, setting up at the venue for a couple hours, playing a four hour show, packing up, and getting home at 3:00 am.  Then up at 6:00 to get the kids to sports.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

You get home after gigs. Peart didn't. Being away takes its toll obviously.

Playing in front of dozens or maybe hundreds as you do can't compare to playing in front of 10,000-50,000 as Peart did. That must take its toll too.

To write it off as if Peart had it easy all those years just isn't reasonable.

#58 Ron2112

Ron2112

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 553 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fairfax Station, VA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 15 September 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:


Every single one of us has said or done something rude, condescending, or deserving of being called an asshole.  The only difference between us and Neil Peart is that we've never published our inner thoughts and negative opinions for the entire world to read.

You're exactly right.  So here's the thing: if you're getting ready to retire with some modicum of class, when you do publish your book, do you go out of your way to bag on fellow musicians, your fans, and every decision your partners have made for the last ten years?

No.  you say thanks for the well-wishes and you sail off into the sunset.

And herein lies the problem that the people some are referring to as "Neil-haters" have.  It's not like he just retired and sailed off.  The book effectively read like a manifesto, distancing himself against everything the Rush Organization did for the last ten years, with him as the pseudo-unwilling hostage.  Now if that's how he really felt, then great.  But putting that out there opens him up to being called a "jerk."

And if you read "The Middle Eight" section of his last book, that's really how he comes off.  It has NOTHING to do with him ending Rush or not.  It's how he expresses himself about it that matters here.

#59 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 15 September 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 15 September 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

Ya know what ?? .. Neil is an asshole sometimes ... so what ...

We are no different than Neil Peart.  
I'm an asshole sometimes.
You're an asshole sometimes.
Joe Schmoe across the street is an asshole sometimes.
Geddy and Alex are assholes sometimes.  

Every single one of us has said or done something rude, condescending, or deserving of being called an asshole.  The only difference between us and Neil Peart is that we've never published our inner thoughts and negative opinions for the entire world to read.
Maybe it takes a special kind of asshole to publish one's negative opinions for the entire world to see.

#60 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1437 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostRon2112, on 15 September 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 15 September 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

Every single one of us has said or done something rude, condescending, or deserving of being called an asshole.  The only difference between us and Neil Peart is that we've never published our inner thoughts and negative opinions for the entire world to read.

You're exactly right.  So here's the thing: if you're getting ready to retire with some modicum of class, when you do publish your book, do you go out of your way to bag on fellow musicians, your fans, and every decision your partners have made for the last ten years?

No.  you say thanks for the well-wishes and you sail off into the sunset.

And herein lies the problem that the people some are referring to as "Neil-haters" have.  It's not like he just retired and sailed off.  The book effectively read like a manifesto, distancing himself against everything the Rush Organization did for the last ten years, with him as the pseudo-unwilling hostage.  Now if that's how he really felt, then great.  But putting that out there opens him up to being called a "jerk."

And if you read "The Middle Eight" section of his last book, that's really how he comes off.  It has NOTHING to do with him ending Rush or not.  It's how he expresses himself about it that matters here.

THIS. :goodone:




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users