Foo Fighters or Weezer song?

Texas King

Foo Fighters or Weezer song?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Foo Fighters or Weezer song?

• Foo Fighters - Everlong
    • Weezer - Say It Ain't So

Say It Ain't So for me. I love both songs, but I didn't used to love Everlong, so I can understand how some may not like it a little better than I can for the Weezer song.

btw, you don't listen to Weezer for maturity the same way you don't listen to Sabbath for happiness or Dream Theater for subtlety. If you think the point of Buddy Holly is to touch you on a deep level, or the point of El Scorcho is to illustrate a healthy, rational understanding of one's romantic attractions, you're really misunderstanding Weezer. It's all mainly about reconnecting with the emotional power and/or distress of your 15-year-old self, which can be cathartic, giddy, and often both.

• Like 1

Also, thinking about this further than I did in my other post... I'm sorry, but the Weezer song is waaaaaay more mature than the foos song in this case. This is a rare instance of Rivers Cuomo not only writing from his heart, but not letting his emotions obscure or undermine him.

The backstory behind Everlong is essentially related to the dissolution of Grohl's first marriage, which, while it is mature, it still results in a sort of cliche, slightly overdramatic love song. An excellent one that really captures Grohl's feelings at the time, but not really as serious as the Weezer song.

The backstory behind Say It Ain't So is about how River's experienced his parents' divorce through his father's drinking, then looking on in horror years later, after his mother got remarried, when he notices "somebody's Heine" in his icebox, presumably his step-father's. The song deals with the trauma of watching your parent's divorce unfold, then the terror of thinking it's happening all over again. Say It Ain't So also deals with the prevalent, and difficult theme of self-blame apparent in so many children of divorce. "Say It Ain't So, my love is a life taker" seems to imply that, though Rivers has been loving and accepting of his step-father, just like he was with his birth-father, both fathers have decided to end their lives within the family, and that Rivers blames his own emotional attachment for the tragedy of the divorce. The bridge is also interesting in that it finds Rivers attempting to reconnect with his birth father in this time of crisis, who "cleaned up, found Jesus" and is living a good life away from the family he deserted. This shows the clearest connection between the two father-figures in the song, "like father, step-father" with Rivers at the epicenter of their drinking and divorce "the son is drowning in the flood!"

Say It Ain't So is probably the most mature song in Weezer's cannon, and Everlong isn't so much that for the Foos, which might instead be Walk, or My Hero. But your claim that the Weezer song is immature is just false.

• Like 2

I don't dislike Dave Grohl or the Foo Fighters, but they just never moved me ... They are just kinda like rows of telephones poles along the street - you know that they are there, but you just never notice them

I love Weezer - great band, and Say It Ain't So is a great song

• Like 3