Jump to content


Rush song "Show Don't Tell" sounds like...(which musical act)?


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 snowdogged

snowdogged

    Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

  • Members *
  • 4741 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 12 September 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

RUSH?

Wrong!
How can a question be wrong?

Sponsored Post

#22 Sticklight

Sticklight

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

Sounds like Rush, obviously.

#23 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

  • Members *
  • 9844 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

View PostStormtron, on 12 September 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

The intro sounds like music from Donkey Kong Country, then it sounds like Rush, then when the hook comes I turn it off.

The chorus:
(Show me, don't tell me)
You've figured out the score
(Show me, don't tell me)
I've heard it all before
(Show me, don't tell me)
I don't care what you say
(Show me, don't tell me)

sounds like Pet Shop Boys to me.


Please step away from the crack pipe.....

#24 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 8915 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Sounds like Rush but without any bass...so shitty Rush.

#25 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

View PostStormtron, on 12 September 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

The intro sounds like music from Donkey Kong Country, then it sounds like Rush, then when the hook comes I turn it off.

The chorus:
(Show me, don't tell me)
You've figured out the score
(Show me, don't tell me)
I've heard it all before
(Show me, don't tell me)
I don't care what you say
(Show me, don't tell me)

sounds like Pet Shop Boys to me.

Right right...and Force 10 sounds like Information Society. :sarcastic:

#26 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

View PostFridge, on 14 September 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

View PostStormtron, on 12 September 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

The intro sounds like music from Donkey Kong Country, then it sounds like Rush, then when the hook comes I turn it off.

The chorus:
(Show me, don't tell me)
You've figured out the score
(Show me, don't tell me)
I've heard it all before
(Show me, don't tell me)
I don't care what you say
(Show me, don't tell me)

sounds like Pet Shop Boys to me.


Please step away from the crack pipe.....

HAHAHAHA!  Hey Fridge!  That's my line!  LOL!

I must be on crack again!  I absolutely LOVE "Show Don't Tell!"   Incredible riff!  Great to drum to!

Signed,

Capitan Stating The Obvious

Edited by RUSHHEAD666, 14 September 2017 - 09:49 PM.


#27 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

I don't hear Heart at all and I just went through an 80's Heart phase.

#28 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

Pet Shop Boys?  WTF?

Signed,

"WEST END EARLS"

#29 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5898 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, still waiting for TK to legitimize his claim by providing some audio evidence.

#30 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 14 September 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

Yeah, still waiting for TK to legitimize his claim by providing some audio evidence.

Absolutely. Same.

#31 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

View PostStormtron, on 12 September 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

The intro sounds like music from Donkey Kong Country, then it sounds like Rush, then when the hook comes I turn it off.

The chorus:
(Show me, don't tell me)
You've figured out the score
(Show me, don't tell me)
I've heard it all before
(Show me, don't tell me)
I don't care what you say
(Show me, don't tell me)

sounds like Pet Shop Boys to me.

Right right...and Force 10 sounds like Information Society. :sarcastic:

HAHAHA!  "Repetition!"  

So "What's On Your Mind" Johnny?

Loved that first record.

#32 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:56 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 September 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

View PostStormtron, on 12 September 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

The intro sounds like music from Donkey Kong Country, then it sounds like Rush, then when the hook comes I turn it off.

The chorus:
(Show me, don't tell me)
You've figured out the score
(Show me, don't tell me)
I've heard it all before
(Show me, don't tell me)
I don't care what you say
(Show me, don't tell me)

sounds like Pet Shop Boys to me.

Right right...and Force 10 sounds like Information Society. :sarcastic:

HAHAHA!  "Repetition!"  

So "What's On Your Mind" Johnny?

Loved that first record.

By-Tor sounds like Blondie.

The Trees, like Molly Hatchet.

It's all so obvious.

Signed,

Flirtin' With Debbie Harry

#33 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1437 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Secret Touch sounds like The Song Remains the Same.

What You're Doing sounds like Heartbreaker

The Necromancer sounds like Bridge of Sighs.

Show, Don't Tell sounds like... Rush. Rush lite - but Rush.

Edited by Wil1972, 18 September 2017 - 03:46 PM.


#34 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

View PostWil1972, on 18 September 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Secret Touch sounds like The Song Remains the Same.

What You're Doing sounds like Heartbreaker

The Necromancer sounds like Bridge of Sighs.

Show, Don't Tell sounds like... Rush. Rush lite - but Rush.

Wow!


:goodone:

#35 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:18 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 15 September 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 September 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

View PostStormtron, on 12 September 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

The intro sounds like music from Donkey Kong Country, then it sounds like Rush, then when the hook comes I turn it off.

The chorus:
(Show me, don't tell me)
You've figured out the score
(Show me, don't tell me)
I've heard it all before
(Show me, don't tell me)
I don't care what you say
(Show me, don't tell me)

sounds like Pet Shop Boys to me.

Right right...and Force 10 sounds like Information Society. :sarcastic:

HAHAHA!  "Repetition!"  

So "What's On Your Mind" Johnny?

Loved that first record.

By-Tor sounds like Blondie.

The Trees, like Molly Hatchet.

It's all so obvious.

Signed,

Flirtin' With Debbie Harry

Hahaha!!!  Lately Debbie looks like a "Disaster" so I get it.

Signed,

"In The Flesh"

Blondie was in "Videodrome" by David Cronenberg!  TO THE NEW FLESH!

#36 Texas King

Texas King

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1449 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

View PostWil1972, on 18 September 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Secret Touch sounds like The Song Remains the Same.

What You're Doing sounds like Heartbreaker

The Necromancer sounds like Bridge of Sighs.

Show, Don't Tell sounds like... Rush. Rush lite - but Rush.

All 3 previous songs that you mentioned are a way more :rush:  than Show Don't Tell. Show Don't Tell is one of the most atypical Rush songs in their catalog. I can't believe that many people here think otherwise. When I'm listening to SDT, the fact that Geddy is singing it, is the only reason why I relate this song to Rush. Musically this song is not Rush at all.

#37 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1437 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostTexas King, on 19 September 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 18 September 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Secret Touch sounds like The Song Remains the Same.

What You're Doing sounds like Heartbreaker

The Necromancer sounds like Bridge of Sighs.

Show, Don't Tell sounds like... Rush. Rush lite - but Rush.

All 3 previous songs that you mentioned are a way more :rush:  than Show Don't Tell. Show Don't Tell is one of the most atypical Rush songs in their catalog. I can't believe that many people here think otherwise. When I'm listening to SDT, the fact that Geddy is singing it, is the only reason why I relate this song to Rush. Musically this song is not Rush at all.

I think the only song I have heard that made me think "this is not very Rush-like" is the Roll the Bones rap. I accepted a long time ago that part of what makes Rush who they are is their ability to navigate all sorts of musical landscapes and still retain that adventurous progressive spirit. Not saying I like every song, or that all were successful, but they were always trying different things, and that makes them exciting to me. Show, Don't Tell is just a piece of that puzzle that makes up the whole image of Rush.

And I am not saying I do not like those other songs - I really like all three. But was just making the point that Rush have always worn their influences on their collective sleeve and SDT is one where I hear more Rush than anything else.

Edited by Wil1972, 19 September 2017 - 08:10 AM.


#38 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1089 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:56 AM

'Show Don't Tell' has the D4/E guitar riff (that comes in 20 seconds after synthesizer intro), which also appears 11 seconds into 'Promise' from Alex's solo album 'Victor'.

In a strange way, both songs are musical cousins to one another.

Edited by RushFanForever, 21 September 2017 - 03:56 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users