2017-18 Football/Soccer thread

blackhawkrush

So, I heard commentary yesterday that purists don't like VAR because it's too "pedantic". Does a toe over the line really merit an offside call?

I say yes, since the value of a single goal is so great.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

I would say "no" because I hate progress and technology. VAR slows down the game and -- in the way it was being used early in the WWC -- it was more like second-guessing the ref rather than helping the ref when there was a question.

That whole "the keeper moved her heel an inch off the line" is pedantic, no question.

But I'm also realist enough to know that if making that penalty was the difference between my team or losing, I'm going to want the re-kick. Players will learn, like the defenders (mostly) have to keep their arms down or behind their backs.

Plus, VAR would have undone the "Hand of God" goal and then maybe we wouldn't have had to put up with so much Diego Maradona preening and English whinging, and that would have been a wholly good thing.

• Like 1

I would say "no" because I hate progress and technology. VAR slows down the game and -- in the way it was being used early in the WWC -- it was more like second-guessing the ref rather than helping the ref when there was a question.

That whole "the keeper moved her heel an inch off the line" is pedantic, no question.

But I'm also realist enough to know that if making that penalty was the difference between my team or losing, I'm going to want the re-kick. Players will learn, like the defenders (mostly) have to keep their arms down or behind their backs.

Plus, VAR would have undone the "Hand of God" goal and then maybe we wouldn't have had to put up with so much Diego Maradona preening and English whinging, and that would have been a wholly good thing.

A true sport doesn't need VAR.
  • Like 1

I don't think she misses the next game. She would have missed the next one if it had been a straight red, but this was two yellows.

I see that Millie Bright is out for this game for the card accumulation, so I was wrong about the red/two yellows.

Come on, you Lionesses!

Rough estimate of blondes on the field: 20/22.

I don't think she misses the next game. She would have missed the next one if it had been a straight red, but this was two yellows.

I see that Millie Bright is out for this game for the card accumulation, so I was wrong about the red/two yellows.

Again not sure, but I think a red card for any reason-accumulation of yellows or outright for a really blatant foul-means that player sits the next game. I think that's for FIFA and it's related national groups. I've mostly seen it in English Premier League games.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

Messi's red card looked like one for the Ref's scrapbook.

Good luck USA in World Cup Final! Miles ahead of other countries from what I've watched (England - horrible, horrible defending is not the same as "playing out from the back"). And anyone who doesn't like US celebrations misses the very important factor that if you score/win you have carte blanche to stuff it in everyone's faces for at least thirty seconds.

• Like 2

Speaking of red cards...see Messi get one today? A little bit of overkill I thought just because he wouldn't step down when challenged by the Chilean player.

The referee must have thought both players were equally aggressive toward each other. Obviously, that was not the case.

Good luck USA in World Cup Final! Miles ahead of other countries from what I've watched (England - horrible, horrible defending is not the same as "playing out from the back"). And anyone who doesn't like US celebrations misses the very important factor that if you score/win you have carte blanche to stuff it in everyone's faces for at least thirty seconds.

You try that around here, young man, and we'll slit your face...sorry. ;)
  • Like 2

You try that around here, young man, and we'll slit your face...sorry. ;)

Confucius, he say "Name go in book".
  • Like 1

Looks like the Dutch women's team is taking a book from their men's team and playing dirty physical. In a true sportTM the simple application of the rules would take care of it, but this is soccer, so...

:P

Lots of potential chances already for the US team, but nobody filling the spot on the cross. :huh:

• Like 2

Soccer, lol.

It can be super boring, with both teams playing it safe. But there was none of that in this match. IMO, both teams elevated the game today.

Chasing the US players around, especially in midfield, was a challenge too far for the Dutch; they looked absolutely gassed by the end of this match, and the US looked like they could have gone into extra time with no worries. I think a lot of people who don't watch much soccer probably think it's easier to defend, but, man, it is exhausting to play in your own half that much.

That defender's boot caught Morgan on the shoulder, so there's no question it was high, and Rapinoe -- probably in her last WWC -- did what she does. It was really over from there.

What a legacy for Rapinoe, Lloyd, Krieger, et al.

• Like 1

And the Gold Cup final is under way, with the US men's team facing Mexico.

Gotta like Mexico's chances here. Arriba El Tri!

Wide open play both ways so far, with the US missing on what is the best chance at a goal at this point. Just wide, and poorly struck.

Mexico. playing a strong second :45...much more artful and fun to watch...

And as I text, they score!!!!!

GOOOOOL...GOOOOOOL...GOOOOOLAZO!!!!

Edited by goose