Sponsored Post

#22 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

US Men's team is eliminated from the World Cup, losing to Trinidad & Tobego!  Beyond the obvious hit to the US soccer program, pundits are calling this a marketing disaster.  But will it really it matter to US soccer viewers?

https://www.wsj.com/...-fox-1507749391

The failure of the U.S. men’s soccer team to qualify for the 2018 World Cup creates a major headache for broadcaster 21st Century Fox Inc., which faces the prospect of smaller TV audiences and diminished advertiser interest without Team USA on the field.

#23 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

How the United States Missed the World Cup, Minute by Minute

https://www.nytimes....-world-cup.html

Posted Image

COUVA, Trinidad and Tobago — Just win the game. Win the game against Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday, the United States national team knew, and nothing else would matter.
But the Americans didn’t win. Over 90 excruciating minutes, and then a half-dozen more in extra time, it all went very, very wrong. Even a tie would have been enough for the Americans. Even with a loss, they still might have been all right, depending on other results. But those went wrong, too.
And so the United States is not going to the World Cup in Russia next summer, but Panama is, and Honduras might. “It was a perfect storm kind of a night, where everything that could have possibly went wrong did, in this stadium and two others,” Michael Bradley, the American captain, said.

To be continued...

#24 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

Part 2:

1st minute Three Games, Three Countries

The ball rolls off the spot to kick off World Cup qualifiers here in Couva, Trinidad; in San Pedro Sula, Honduras; and in Panama City. The United States qualifies for next year’s World Cup with a win or a tie. But if the Americans lose, and Panama and Honduras both post wins, over Costa Rica and Mexico, they’re out. Their opponent, Trinidad, is in last place in the qualifying group, with one win in nine games.

But...

At 17’ Americans Stunned by Own Goal
The first sign of trouble comes at the same time as a hint of potential salvation. In San Pedro Sula, Oribe Peralta gives Mexico a 1-0 lead over Honduras at about the same moment United States defender Omar Gonzalez swings his leg toward Trinidad forward Shahdon Winchester in Couva. Gonzalez and Winchester both are racing to be first to a routine cross, but Winchester gets there first and the ball ricochets off him, then off Gonzalez’s shin, and then in a spinning loop over goalkeeper Tim Howard.

https://twitter.com/...909225849937920

:facepalm:

#25 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

Part 3:

Even with a loss, USA gets in if Panama loses against a solid Costa Rican team.  But when Panama is awarded a goal that never crossed the line, USA's fate is sealed...

#26 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

Part 4:

Honduras' win over Mexico featured a bizarre own goal that came off the crossbar, hit the goalie if the head, then went in...

#27 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

View PostCitizen of the World, on 11 October 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

I know FIFA rankings are controversial but 6th for Poland is very impressive
I think Poland will drop to 7th place in the upcoming ranking. That will still give us a top seed for the World Cup draw to be held December 1st. As far as the controversy, when you stink for many years, and then start winning game after game, you jump up the standings very fast.

Edited by blackhawkrush, 12 October 2017 - 12:03 AM.

#28 Citizen of the World

Citizen of the World

The Majestik Moose

• Members
  • 4099 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

View Postgoose, on 11 October 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

Part 3:

Even with a loss, USA gets in if Panama loses against a solid Costa Rican team.  But when Panama is awarded a goal that never crossed the line, USA's fate is sealed...

That was not a goal, a penalty probably for a trip, but a terrible call. I always wonder in this situation about a fix as Costa Rica had already qualified.

#29 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

View PostCitizen of the World, on 12 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Part 3:

That was not a goal, a penalty probably for a trip, but a terrible call. I always wonder in this situation about a fix as Costa Rica had already qualified.
:yes:

Thanks, Trump.

:lol:

#30 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:17 AM

View PostCitizen of the World, on 12 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Part 3:

Yes, and also, they went back to deciding things with goal differential when teams are tied on points, which gives room for all kinds of craziness taking place. I guess 1982, Germany vs Austria was so long ago it can't happen again, right?  :eyeroll:

#31 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

Slask 0 Wisla 2 :) Imaz and Lopez with the goals. We're moving up in the standings, making contact with the leaders. :madra:

#32 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Cracovia 3 Pogon 0 :atickhum: Just like that, we're out of the relegation zone.  :D-13:

#33 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

Your playoffs in Europe for the World Cup: Italy-Sweden, Switzerland-Northern Ireland, Croatia-Greece and Denmark-Ireland.

#34 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Sandecja 1 Cracovia 1 :moon: Normally, getting a point away from home is a good thing. Not this time. While leading 1-0, Krakow sees Sandecja go down to ten men, and scoring the equalizer with three minutes left. :facepalm:

#35 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Wisla 0 Legia 1 :moon: Penalty kick awarded to Krakow, then taken away upon review. :eyeroll: Amazingly, we're still only three points from the top.

#36 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:35 AM

Lech 1 Wisla 1 :) Krakow can feel lucky getting out of Poznan with a point. Lopez quickly scored and the team decided to try and win this game 1-0. The plan failed in the 94th minute. :(

Edited by blackhawkrush, 28 October 2017 - 12:35 AM.

#37 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22895 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

Cracovia 1 Termalica 1 :sigh: Helik scores a fantastic goal, but just like Wisla the night before, Krakow surrenders the lead in the closing minutes. :(

#38 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3022 posts
  • Interests:art, supernatural, Holy Trinity of Metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

My mother is currently watching Premier League soccer.  I have a green Bayern Munich jersey that I don't wear anymore. I know.  It's a different league. Same sport though.

Edited by Boots, 29 October 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#39 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8890 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

f**k football now

#40 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8890 posts