2017-18 Football/Soccer thread

blackhawkrush

What an outcome, with Sweden seemingly crushing Mexico's hopes, only to have the unlikely upset of Germany by Korea to help Mexico advance!!!

:dweez:

Sad for Greyfriar and my sister's family. :(

Thanks goose. I'm not really sad that they're out. The whole performance was one big disgrace. The "team" was autocratical, arrogant and airless, so they got what they deserved.

We're in good company now...

France, champion 1998 - out after the first round in 2002

Italy, champion 2006 - out after the first round in 2010

Spain, champion 2010 - out after the first round in 2014

Germany, champion 2014 - out after the first round in 2018

We should try harder to learn from history...

• Like 1

Looks like I missed a great match between France and Argentina.

It's worth getting up early from no on. The level of play should jump up considerably. Argentina had their moments, but France throughout the game was quicker, had more quality players, and showed it can turn it on after a disappointing group stage.
  • Like 1

It's worth getting up early from no on. The level of play should jump up considerably. Argentina had their moments, but France throughout the game was quicker, had more quality players, and showed it can turn it on after a disappointing group stage.

I was up with the puppy, but saw the early goal from France and went out to do yard work.

How about Uruguay?!?

VIVA AMERICA!!!! VIVA LA CELESTE!!!!

• Like 1

I was up with the puppy, but saw the early goal from France and went out to do yard work.

How about Uruguay?!?

VIVA AMERICA!!!! VIVA LA CELESTE!!!!

Two great looking goals for Uruguay. It should be another interesting spectacle against France. As for Portugal, there's going to be questions asked about maybe too many changes made from the Euro tournament...
  • Like 1

Russia takes out Spain. Not surprising really, when you waste 70% of the game passing the ball amongst your defenders. :facepalm: Two crazy goals in the Croatia-Denmark match, but it would've been even crazier if a team that couldn't beat out Poland in the qualifiers ended up in the medal round. :P
  • Like 1

Too close for comfort for Belgium today. I like this team, but if they go down to Brazil 2-0...there's no coming back from that. Side note: Chadli, after scoring the game winner, ran right to his teammates, instead of somewhere in the stands. Very refreshing. :cheers:

Too close for comfort for Belgium today. I like this team, but if they go down to Brazil 2-0...there's no coming back from that. Side note: Chadli, after scoring the game winner, ran right to his teammates, instead of somewhere in the stands. Very refreshing. :cheers:

Bummed that I missed that game.

Switzerland was the better team, but Sweden managed to get to the quarterfinals. Winning goal was a terrible shot, straight at the goalkeeper, but Swiss defender helped Sverige a lot with a deflection. Also, the referee ended the game sooner than he should've.

England's penalty nightmares come to an end, unless you want to watch them on youtube. Not a bad life, when you have to get through Colombia and Sweden in order to achieve a semifinal spot. And if we end up with Uruguay, Russia, Belgium and Sweden in the last four, I'm gonna have a heart attack. :bang bang: :heart:

Uruguay, Croatia, England, & Belgium is my call for the semis.

The latest info says Cavani will start on the bench. That's a big problem for Uruguay. Croatia should be too much for Russia. Sweden will put up a wall, and try to get it to penalty kicks. Belgium in the semis would be nice but...

Swiss RTS sport decided to count how many minutes Neymar spent on the ground so far: Mexico ( 5 minutes, 29 seconds ) Serbia ( 1 minute 56 seconds ) Switzerland ( 3 minutes 20 seconds ) Costa Rica ( 3 minutes 3 seconds ) Total number, 13 minutes 50 seconds. :clap:
  • Like 2

Swiss RTS sport decided to count how many minutes Neymar spent on the ground so far: Mexico ( 5 minutes, 29 seconds ) Serbia ( 1 minute 56 seconds ) Switzerland ( 3 minutes 20 seconds ) Costa Rica ( 3 minutes 3 seconds ) Total number, 13 minutes 50 seconds. :clap:

DhQ1pR-VQAElILQ.jpg

https://www.cnet.com/news/world-cup-brazils-neymar-has-spent-14-minutes-on-the-floor/

• Like 1

DhQ1pR-VQAElILQ.jpg

https://www.cnet.com...s-on-the-floor/

I always say, when these guys stop playing soccer, they should go to Hollywood and get jobs as extras in war movies. :bang bang:

France too much for Uruguay, especially in the absence of Cavani. We may have found another player to get death threats in the future. Let's just hope they're not as crazy in Uruguay as they are in some other countries. And is it high time to stop the play clock, at least during a foul or non-foul as the case may be? They almost came to blows over time wasting today.

Yea, add the loss to Belgium into those minutes! Neymar flops as much or more than anyone in the NBA.

Yea, add the loss to Belgium into those minutes! Neymar flops as much or more than anyone in the NBA.

And they say hockey is uncivilized. Neymar does one of those cow flops on the ice, he'd be doing two in the box. Thank God we won't endure any more of that s--t.
  • Like 1

Belgium nails Brazil, 2-1 !!!! It was an awesome game!

Yes it was! Brazil had their chances, but were either off target or hot robbed by the Belgian keeper (that final tip save was magic!)
  • Like 1

He didn't have much of a chance to increase the number because Brazil fell behind early on in the game. It's funny how players only do things like that when their team is in front. ;)
  • Like 1