2017-18 Football/Soccer thread

blackhawkrush

No replay on that potential penalty call? If Poland scores that could be very controversial...

And Poland scores!!!

They look at all of these kind of plays, and then tell the referee to review it. No controversy.

If Poland would have tied, there would have been, as with any quickly-made judgment call in a high-stakes game.

Look, with VAR in place, the referee on the pitch plays second-hand role here. All at first is decided in, for the lack of better words, "The War Room." Those guys look at the replay, and then inform the main ref that he should take a peek at the play on the monitor. And they also decide that the play should be stopped, even if the other team is about to score.

Right. Are you saying that process leans toward perfection and is thus free from potential for controversy?

Well, looking at all the crap going on in the past, like Maradona's "Hand of God" and so on, I welcome VAR. It legitimizes the sport of soccer a bit. There are some instances where the final judgements of video reviews can be questioned, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. You disagree?

No, I think it's a welcome addition.
  • Like 1

No replay on that potential penalty call? If Poland scores that could be very controversial...

And Poland scores!!!

They look at all of these kind of plays, and then tell the referee to review it. No controversy.

If Poland would have tied, there would have been, as with any quickly-made judgment call in a high-stakes game.

Look, with VAR in place, the referee on the pitch plays second-hand role here. All at first is decided in, for the lack of better words, "The War Room." Those guys look at the replay, and then inform the main ref that he should take a peek at the play on the monitor. And they also decide that the play should be stopped, even if the other team is about to score.

Right. Are you saying that process leans toward perfection and is thus free from potential for controversy?

Well, looking at all the crap going on in the past, like Maradona's "Hand of God" and so on, I welcome VAR. It legitimizes the sport of soccer a bit. There are some instances where the final judgements of video reviews can be questioned, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. You disagree?

But...my point regarding it's inconsistent use was made today at the 30 minute mark during the Portugal-Morocco match. A pretty clear body-check foul goes uncalled, despite obvious video evidence.

Ronaldo the hero in that game with his 4th goal of the tourney, slipping the defense to put the header on target.

• Like 1

And Poland scores!!!

But...my point regarding it's inconsistent use was made today at the 30 minute mark during the Portugal-Morocco match. A pretty clear body-check foul goes uncalled, despite obvious video evidence.

Ronaldo the hero in that game with his 4th goal of the tourney, slipping the defense to put the header on target.

And also, Pepe played the ball off his hand in the box in the second half, no penalty given. It's not perfect science, but the effort should be, as you said, welcomed.
  • Like 1

I'm watching the Denmark-Australia match (Danes up 1-nil at the 35:00 mark), and I'm struck by how much I enjoy warren barton's color commentary. In contrast, the constant Joe Buck-style faux gravitas commentary style of the American Mark Followill is insufferable.

And VAR is employed (correctly) to award a penalty kick to Australia off a Danish hand ball. It took just over 30 seconds to make the call.

1-1 match, now.

Russia playing out of their minds. Too bad they'll be done after only four games. :P

With two wins and 8 goals under their belt, it looks like they'll be moving on.

Collusion!!!

Croatia putting it to the Argentine, Argies goalie messed up!

2-0 and the Argies are getting pissed.

Can you say goal differential?

Edited by pjbear05

Is 2018 seeing a major power shift?

Is 2018 seeing a major power shift?

I think it's just the fact that when the tournament is played in Europe, the European teams are tough to beat...unless you're Poland of course. :eyeroll:

Russia playing out of their minds. Too bad they'll be done after only four games. :P

With two wins and 8 goals under their belt, it looks like they'll be moving on.

Collusion!!!

I meant Russia's four games. After all, they're looking at either Spain or Portugal. Although, with the results those two got in their last matches, anything is possible.

Brazil gets the win with two goals in extra time, thd first at 90:30. They were the better side, no doubt, but just couldn't get the ball in the back of the net till the very end.

Neymar was a disgrace with his dive in the penalty area good job the decision was reviewed by the VAR and reversed.

VAR has been a real success so far, wouldn't you say?
  • Like 1

Neymar was a disgrace with his dive in the penalty area good job the decision was reviewed by the VAR and reversed.

VAR has been a real success so far, wouldn't you say?

I think it has been a pretty good start for VAR. More penalties I know, but this is not very different from any sport when something new is introduced. Just like when a new rule is introduced into football or hockey there are a lot of penalties to begin. it slows the game down and fans become frustrated. After a while the players learn that they can no longer get away with certain things so they stop doing it. then the penalties will ease up. As an England fan whose country has won a World cup on an incorrect call and has lost a couple of important games on incorrect or missed calls, I don't mind VAR. Edited by Citizen of the World
  • Like 1

How about the match-winner from Germany's Kross just before the 95:00 mark? A perfect bender.

After Sweden had drawn first blood, German fans had to be preparing themselves for disaster. But the team rose to the occasion, looking strong for most of the match.

We're getting down to it now, with some high-stakes matches coming up.

• Group A is locked up. Russia and Uruguay will advance.
  • In Group B, it looks like Iran punches its ticket with a win, while Portugal can advance with a tie or win in that match. Spain advances with a win or a tie and a loss by Iran.
  • Group C is all but decided, with Australia having an outside chance with a Danish loss and a big Aussie win over Peru.
  • The Croats have secured their spot in Group D, and Nigeria only needs a tie to punch their ticket, for all practical purposes.
  • Group E is a toss up, with Brazil and Switzerland at 4 pts and Serbia at 3. The Swiss face a poor-performing CostaRican team, while Serbia most likely needs to win over Brazil.
  • In Group F Mexico's Team Tricolor punched its ticket today with its second win, while Germany and Sweden are tied points-wise, but Germany defeated Sweden head to head.
  • With its two wins, Group G will see Belgium advancing, and Team England controls its destiny with one win in as many matches.
  • Group H is still up in the air, but Japan and Senegal have put Colombia and Poland behind the 8-ball with their respective wins.

Bring it on! :drool:

• Like 1

WHAT A FIGHT!!! What an agony of suspense. Unfuckinbelievable.

Kroos with a perfect shot and not only during the last minute, but in the last few seconds.

Assuming Germany beats South Korea...Sweden 1 Mexico 0, Sweden and Germany advance. Sweden 2 Mexico 1, Sweden and Mexico move on. Mexico 0 Sweden 0, Mexico and Germany end up celebrating. I know which game I'll be watching.

WHAT A FIGHT!!! What an agony of suspense. Unfuckinbelievable.

Kroos with a perfect shot and not only during the last minute, but in the last few seconds.

Just a perfect strike!
  • Like 1

Assuming Germany beats South Korea...Sweden 1 Mexico 0, Sweden and Germany advance. Sweden 2 Mexico 1, Sweden and Mexico move on. Mexico 0 Sweden 0, Mexico and Germany end up celebrating. I know which game I'll be watching.

It'll be a shame if Mexico doesnt advance after getting 6 points, but its possible.

Nothing like trying to follow football on the radio, in Spanish, with no other guide. Such was I this morning, bringing Rocky home from the dog park: "Blah blah blah Inglaterra, blah blah Panama, blah blah Jesse Lingard, blah blah Rueben Loftus-Cheek, blah blah tiro de esquina Inglaterra (corner kick for England), rapid higher pitched blah blah blah GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! INGLATERRA, blah blah blah." By the time I got back to the house it was "Inglaterra quatro, Panama zero. "

OTOH, to our mates across the pond, is Kate working in studio?

Edited by pjbear05