2017-18 Football/Soccer thread

blackhawkrush

Off video review of Kim's foul, Sweden gets a penalty shot...

Chip shot gives Sweden the lead.

And it looked like Korea should've had a penalty kick after a hand ball in the last minute. Not that I'm complaining, you understand. ;)

Enjoying double watching some of the action as I have local access to Telemundo.

I get to listen to The Man-Andres Cantor!

I wish I had that. Telemundo has great coverage!

Belgium is having too much fun in the second half for my liking. :codger:

I had to leave at the half. Looks like they had a real go of it.

Some interesting results for a lot of the giants so far.

I was on the road camping all weekend, so I missed the games. Loojs like Spain-Portugal was a ripper, and I really wanted to see Germany-Mexico.

Who are you pulling for?

I'm from England originally so I'm hoping they win. Not betting on it though.

Poland-Senegal about to kick off. Any interest here in this matchup?

;)

I hope we play better than Colombia. ;)

No kidding.

Are you singing along to the anthem?

Poland-Senegal about to kick off. Any interest here in this matchup?

;)

I hope we play better than Colombia. ;)

No kidding.

Are you singing along to the anthem?

Yeah, I don't know why they do two verses now. It's the same music. Keep it short and sweet, I say.

Poland burned on the substitution...

It was a case of a player coming back on the field. And nobody told Krychowiak to pass the ball back, especially when you're thinking you're playing against ten men. Bonehead idea.
  • Like 1

No replay on that potential penalty call? If Poland scores that could be very controversial...

And Poland scores!!!

They look at all of these kind of plays, and then tell the referee to review it. No controversy.

No replay on that potential penalty call? If Poland scores that could be very controversial...

And Poland scores!!!

They look at all of these kind of plays, and then tell the referee to review it. No controversy.

If Poland would have tied, there would have been, as with any quickly-made judgment call in a high-stakes game.

And Poland scores!!!

If Poland would have tied, there would have been, as with any quickly-made judgment call in a high-stakes game.

Look, with VAR in place, the referee on the pitch plays second-hand role here. All at first is decided in, for the lack of better words, "The War Room." Those guys look at the replay, and then inform the main ref that he should take a peek at the play on the monitor. And they also decide that the play should be stopped, even if the other team is about to score.

And Poland scores!!!

Look, with VAR in place, the referee on the pitch plays second-hand role here. All at first is decided in, for the lack of better words, "The War Room." Those guys look at the replay, and then inform the main ref that he should take a peek at the play on the monitor. And they also decide that the play should be stopped, even if the other team is about to score.

Right. Are you saying that process leans toward perfection and is thus free from potential for controversy?

And Poland scores!!!

Right. Are you saying that process leans toward perfection and is thus free from potential for controversy?

Well, looking at all the crap going on in the past, like Maradona's "Hand of God" and so on, I welcome VAR. It legitimizes the sport of soccer a bit. There are some instances where the final judgements of video reviews can be questioned, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. You disagree?