Vapor Trails first listen, after they been gone, your reactions??

nicky6

Couldn't wait to hear it.. so excited after they been gone and almost were not gonna carry on, so first day. went to borders got it at lunch and after work, lye down and put it on and here's what I first thought!! btw (Rush's last best whole studio album to me was Moving Pictures),I really just love the live shows more anyway. Now,, my first reactions were, wow, no catchy songs yet??? until I got to vapor trail, that was the first song that grabbed me as a good song, and then earthshine, I was just dag, this is their big comeback?? Acourse it grew on me over time. thank god they only played 4 songs from it live on the VT tour, but songs on here I still don't like and are not good at all, freeze! out of the cradle, and the worst song to me is "how it is" not rush at all.. whats your thoughts. most rush fans love this cd and think its their best... lots of praise over the years..
  • Like 1

Very much enjoyed it and still do. I love How it is and Peaceable Kingdom, contrary to many Rush fans.

I loved it from the first leaked mp3s, and still do. Raw, honest music born by tragedy.
  • Like 4

Couldn't wait to hear it.. so excited after they been gone and almost were not gonna carry on, so first day. went to borders got it at lunch and after work, lye down and put it on and here's what I first thought!! btw (Rush's last best whole studio album to me was Moving Pictures),I really just love the live shows more anyway. Now,, my first reactions were, wow, no catchy songs yet??? until I got to vapor trail, that was the first song that grabbed me as a good song, and then earthshine, I was just dag, this is their big comeback?? Acourse it grew on me over time. thank god they only played 4 songs from it live on the VT tour, but songs on here I still don't like and are not good at all, freeze! out of the cradle, and the worst song to me is "how it is" not rush at all.. whats your thoughts. most rush fans love this cd and think its their best... lots of praise over the years..

My first reaction was "what is this crap?", but then I heard Geddy sing "like a ghost rider" with the harmony line and thought, "ok, this might be a decent album", but by the end I was back to "what is this crap?"

• Like 4

Got it home turned it up .I thought my speakers were going to blow. Now I like heavy ,heavy,heavy metal but this was over compressed brick walled noise which has been discussed here ad nauseum. Unfortunately this production/mastering drowned out any decent songs that may be lurking underneath.I think I made it to Earthsine and went to bed. No guitar solos and no real melodies.Tried playing it over the next few days but still couldn't get through whole cd in one sitting. Gradually got to love most of the album,but tracks like Ceiling Unlimited and Freeze just don't do it for me. Also I am not a fan of Alex's tone on this album.

Most Rush fans love it and think it's their best? Not by a loooooong shot.

I really like the OP's post.

Pure, simple and honest.

It's truly a turd with no polish in a toilet bowl of No Little Victory at all. Pass the Tums.

Vapor Trails is a shit sandwich.

At first bite it tasted good but most was just the crust and bread.

The more you would bite into the shit sandwich the more shit it became in taste and in audio.

No undigested corn inside this shit sandwich.

It's just pure "Unearthshine."

The Dark Side Of The Moon is better.

Any album by ACCEPT is better than "Shitter" Trails.

Love,

CHRISTINE

• Like 2

I wasn't a fan yet back when it came out. But to me it's a great album except for the horrible production job, but I can look past that, especially with the remixed version. I still consider it the best album since Power Windows or maybe Grace Under Pressure. Easily blows away Clockwork Angels. But they could have shortened the album somewhat, removed a few songs. That's a general problem these days, artists just put too many songs on their albums, simply to fill up the CD capacity.
  • Like 2

I first heard the album through the leaked mp3's. I think this was a couple of months before the actual album was released. I liked the songs , and the heavy vibe of it all, although I remember thinking it was demos that have leaked. I remember thinking "there's gotta be some guitar solos in there somewhere". When I bought the album on release date nothing had changed, but I already liked the leaked version very much by then. Over time "Vapor Trails" has become one of my favorite Rush albums. So much good and dark material on there. "Earthshine" , "Vapor Trail", "Sweet Miracle", "Ghost Rider" and "Nocturne". Fantastic stuff. Edited by Freeze
  • Like 1

I moved from UT back to CT in time for opening night of the tour. By that time I'd stopped listening to VT. Something about the tour made me start listening to again and it really grew on me. The first 11 tracks at least. For some reason I've almost never listened to the last 2 tracks. I bought the remix, but I've only listened to it once. I just never have time for listening to much anymore
  • Like 1

I first heard the album through the leaked mp3's. I think this was a couple of months before the actual album was released. I liked the songs , and the heavy vibe of it all, although I remember thinking it was demos that have leaked. I remember thinking "there's gotta be some guitar solos in there somewhere". When I bought the album on release date nothing had changed, but I already liked the leaked version very much by then. Over time "Vapor Trails" has become one of my favorite Rush albums. So much good and dark material on there. "Earthshine" , "Vapor Trail", "Sweet Miracle", "Ghost Rider" and "Nocturne". Fantastic stuff.

:goodone:

Thematically and lyrically it's certainly some of Neil's best work as a writer. And musically it's a very interesting listen as well. Not standard post-80s RUSH by any means, but in a good way.

• Like 2

General sound of the original album sucks ass. I wouldn't listen to it once again if you pay me 1000 $ to do it.

I don't love VT, not even like it. It's an album that I just don't care for.

Many songs on VT Remixed are OK, but nothing special and not even in a same ballpark with the vast majority of Rush tunes from their classic era(1975-1985). And I think Clockwork Angels(only modern Rush album that can crack my list of top 10 Rush albums) blows VT away(Remixed).

Tracks on VT Remixed that I actually can listen to sometimes: One Little Victory, Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider, Vapor Trail, Secret Touch and Eartshine. Others are not on my radar at all.

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan yet back when it came out. But to me it's a great album except for the horrible production job, but I can look past that, especially with the remixed version. I still consider it the best album since Power Windows or maybe Grace Under Pressure. Easily blows away Clockwork Angels. But they could have shortened the album somewhat, removed a few songs. That's a general problem these days, artists just put too many songs on their albums, simply to fill up the CD capacity.

:yes:

I skip "Ghost Rider" and "Sweet Miracle" every time.

I used to skip "Nocturne", "Freeze" and "Out of the Cradle", but the remix opened my ears to them as songs, where before they just seemed like noisy filler.

Top 5 3 Rush album for me! Suck it Signals! :P

Said it before: VT was something I needed at the time it came out...it was something positive when not much for me was.

However...that mix is unforgivable. How a record label, management team and band could allow that to be released i can't understand.

The songs have a lot of potential I just can't listen to them anymore due to the sound.

Said it before: VT was something I needed at the time it came out...it was something positive when not much for me was.

However...that mix is unforgivable. How a record label, management team and band could allow that to be released i can't understand.

The songs have a lot of potential I just can't listen to them anymore due to the sound.

Get the remix.