Jump to content


Vapor Trails first listen, after they been gone, your reactions??


  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Texas King

Texas King

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 12 September 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Judging from the comments posted, I still think this has to go down as one of Rush's most disliked albums.  :)

Its one of Rush's most polarising albums for sure

Its the Marmite of Rush albums.

I think Hold Your Fire is polarizing as much as Vapor Trails.

Sponsored Post

#62 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42114 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

Let's all give Vapor Trails another listen today.  :cheerleader:

Maybe we will come away with a different opinion of the album. :yes:  Absence sometimes makes the heart grow fonder.  :eh: :unsure:

Edited by Lorraine, 12 September 2017 - 10:53 AM.


#63 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53733 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostRon2112, on 12 September 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 11 September 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:


I know.  Me too.  But I still always feel so bad when I read the comments about the album.  It has to go down as Rush's most disliked album.

Which is amazing.....VT on it's own merits is a fantastic album -- ESPECIALLY since the remaster came out.  Given that it's bracketed by TFE and SnA, Vapor Trails looks like a friggin' masterpiece.
:yes:

I'm happy to be in the Love It camp.

#64 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53733 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 12 September 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Judging from the comments posted, I still think this has to go down as one of Rush's most disliked albums.  :)

Its one of Rush's most polarising albums for sure

Its the Marmite of Rush albums.

I think Hold Your Fire is polarizing as much as Vapor Trails.
Agreed.  Caress of Steel, too.

#65 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

I was definitely thrilled that they were back.  When I was younger, the two years between Signals and Grace Under Pressure seemed like forever; the five years before Vapor Trails seemed to fly by, but I think like lots of other people I was fearing it was the end.  I think I was in a space to dig just about anything they put out.  The way it opened - that powerful drum pattern - was pretty elating.  I thought the opening track was cool.  Ceiling Unlimited blew me away - to me that that's the old Rush spirit in the construction of that song.  I did hear and wonder about the crackling on some songs, but I wasn't disturbed by the mixing that much.  There were some songs that didn't grab me, but since that had been true of every album since Power Windows, I figured that was just the way things were going to be.  Earthshine f***ing slayed me - I almost got run over.  It's not my favourite album, but I think it's one of their more raw and passionate albums for sure.  After all that goopy, airy, bright, tinkly synth stuff, it was nice to hear them make some damned noise again.

Edited by toymaker, 12 September 2017 - 05:02 PM.


#66 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm always here.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 12 September 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Judging from the comments posted, I still think this has to go down as one of Rush's most disliked albums.  :)

Its one of Rush's most polarising albums for sure

Its the Marmite of Rush albums.

I think Hold Your Fire is polarizing as much as Vapor Trails.

mmm maybe, vapor trails more so imo.There seems to be less middle ground opinions than any other polorising Rush albums. Maybe a poll is in order :lol:

#67 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53733 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 12 September 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

I was definitely thrilled that they were back.  When I was younger, the two years between Signals and Grace Under Pressure seemed like forever; the five years before Vapor Trails seemed to fly by, but I think like lots of other people I was fearing it was the end.  I think I was in a space to dig just about anything they put out.  The way it opened - that powerful drum pattern - was pretty elating.  I thought the opening track was cool.  Ceiling Unlimited blew me away - to me that that's the old Rush spirit in the construction of that song.  I did hear and wonder about the crackling on some songs, but I wasn't disturbed by the mixing that much.  There were some songs that didn't grab me, but since that had been true of every album since Power Windows, I figured that was just the way things were going to be.  Earthshine f***ing slayed me - I almost got run over.  It's not my favourite album, but I think it's one of their more raw and passionate albums for sure.  After all that goopy, airy, bright, tinkly synth stuff, it was nice to hear them make some damned noise again.
Noise...yes!  And music from the heart.  Their stuff had been so much from the head for so long, and this came straight from their collective soul.

#68 canadianice

canadianice

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2959 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

View Postgoose, on 12 September 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 12 September 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

I was definitely thrilled that they were back.  When I was younger, the two years between Signals and Grace Under Pressure seemed like forever; the five years before Vapor Trails seemed to fly by, but I think like lots of other people I was fearing it was the end.  I think I was in a space to dig just about anything they put out.  The way it opened - that powerful drum pattern - was pretty elating.  I thought the opening track was cool.  Ceiling Unlimited blew me away - to me that that's the old Rush spirit in the construction of that song.  I did hear and wonder about the crackling on some songs, but I wasn't disturbed by the mixing that much.  There were some songs that didn't grab me, but since that had been true of every album since Power Windows, I figured that was just the way things were going to be.  Earthshine f***ing slayed me - I almost got run over.  It's not my favourite album, but I think it's one of their more raw and passionate albums for sure.  After all that goopy, airy, bright, tinkly synth stuff, it was nice to hear them make some damned noise again.
Noise...yes!  And music from the heart.  Their stuff had been so much from the head for so long, and this came straight from their collective soul.
  Damn straight.

#69 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32228 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

View PostRon2112, on 12 September 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 09 September 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 09 September 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Said it before: VT was something I needed at the time it came out...it was something positive when not much for me was.

However...that mix is unforgivable. How a record label, management team and band could allow that to be released i can't understand.

The songs have a lot of potential I just can't listen to them anymore due to the sound.

Get the remix.

This.  Anyone judging this record based on the original mix, when the re-mix fixes so much -- including adding guitar solos back in -- is just being a dumbass.

I prefer the original.

#70 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostRon2112, on 12 September 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 09 September 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 09 September 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Said it before: VT was something I needed at the time it came out...it was something positive when not much for me was.

However...that mix is unforgivable. How a record label, management team and band could allow that to be released i can't understand.

The songs have a lot of potential I just can't listen to them anymore due to the sound.

Get the remix.

This.  Anyone judging this record based on the original mix, when the re-mix fixes so much -- including adding guitar solos back in -- is just being a dumbass.

You can't fix crap when the original tracks are stinky. The remix just put some polish on a turd.

#71 thirteen

thirteen

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:20 AM

Observations from a non-prog Rush fan:

The song Sweet Miracle is one of the greatest songs ever composed.
Infinitely better, in every way, than The Garden.

The song Vapor Trails is a better song than Tom Sawyer, which sounds like a collection of riffs Rush cut & pasted together.

The original mix version of Ceiling Unlimited rocks out like a muthaf*cker.

The songs on Vapor Trails are very 'accessible' for non-Rush fans.

#72 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1417 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostMithrandir, on 08 September 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

Very much enjoyed it and still do.  I love How it is and Peaceable Kingdom, contrary to many Rush fans.

Love How It Is but PK is the one track I rarely play from VT. I have tried to like it but it grates on my nerves.

When I first heard VT I was pumped. Hard and heavy. It reminded me of Victor. Still love it. I admit I drifted away from it for awhile before the remix due to the production issues, but now I listen to it quite often when I spin Rush.

#73 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1417 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostIrenicus, on 09 September 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

I wasn't a fan yet back when it came out. But to me it's a great album except for the horrible production job, but I can look past that, especially with the remixed version. I still consider it the best album since Power Windows or maybe Grace Under Pressure. Easily blows away Clockwork Angels. But they could have shortened the album somewhat, removed a few songs. That's a general problem these days, artists just put too many songs on their albums, simply to fill up the CD capacity.

I agree - I think most of Rush's albums in the post vinyl era of their career suffer from this. You could trim 2 or 3 songs from Presto forward  and make stronger albums. VT would be better without PK, Freeze and OOTC.

#74 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3899 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

View PostRon2112, on 12 September 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 09 September 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 09 September 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Said it before: VT was something I needed at the time it came out...it was something positive when not much for me was.

However...that mix is unforgivable. How a record label, management team and band could allow that to be released i can't understand.

The songs have a lot of potential I just can't listen to them anymore due to the sound.

Get the remix.

This.  Anyone judging this record based on the original mix, when the re-mix fixes so much -- including adding guitar solos back in -- is just being a dumbass.

The remix takes a guillotine to the entire album so all of my enjoyment comes from the original mix.
The remix while maybe more sonically pleasing lacks balls.

#75 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3899 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Let's all give Vapor Trails another listen today.  :cheerleader:

Maybe we will come away with a different opinion of the album. :yes:  Absence sometimes makes the heart grow fonder.  :eh: :unsure:

No need.

Vapor Trails is a heavy rotation Rush album for me. It was in the car three days ago..

#76 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:17 AM

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 12 September 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Judging from the comments posted, I still think this has to go down as one of Rush's most disliked albums.  :)

Its one of Rush's most polarising albums for sure

Its the Marmite of Rush albums.

I think Hold Your Fire is polarizing as much as Vapor Trails.

What?  More like BI-POLARIZING!

"HOLD YOUR FIRE" makes "E-Vape Your Shite White Fog Smoke Trails" sound like a small chimp taking a shit after learning to whack off in the jungle for the first time.

Seriously.

"Vapor Trails" is like watching "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes."

Yes...

Symbolism is present.

Now to be serious for once.

I really hope none of you Rush Forum Folk E VAPE.

If you do I don't judge.

But please,

It's not better than smoking cigarettes.

PLEASE STOP.

#77 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 16 September 2017 - 02:17 AM, said:

View PostTexas King, on 12 September 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 12 September 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Judging from the comments posted, I still think this has to go down as one of Rush's most disliked albums.  :)

Its one of Rush's most polarising albums for sure

Its the Marmite of Rush albums.

I think Hold Your Fire is polarizing as much as Vapor Trails.

What?  More like BI-POLARIZING!

"HOLD YOUR FIRE" makes "E-Vape Your Shite White Fog Smoke Trails" sound like a small chimp taking a shit after learning to whack off in the jungle for the first time.

Seriously.

"Vapor Trails" is like watching "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes."

Yes...

Symbolism is present.

Now to be serious for once.

I really hope none of you Rush Forum Folk E VAPE.

If you do I don't judge.

But please,

It's not better than smoking cigarettes.

PLEASE STOP.

Look here Earl:

http://www.therushfo...age__mode__show

TK's poll results show that HYF is slightly more polarizing than VT.

#78 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

  • Members *
  • 9841 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Let's all give Vapor Trails another listen today.  :cheerleader:

Let's not.......




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users