Vapor Trails first listen, after they been gone, your reactions??

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 63028 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

First time? Every time I listen to Vapor Trails, it's like I'm listening to it for the first time...

...because I find so much of it forgettable

Sponsored Post

#42 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

My experience with Vapor Trails can be broken down with a timeline from release date to now...

-First few listens (on my computer):
OMG Rush is back - these guys are amazing. I love you Rush

-After I bought CD and listened in my car:
WTF is wrong with my stereo? Of all times for my speakers to blow out! Maybe if I adjust the settings? Hmmm....nope

-3 Months later:
How in God's name did a band like Rush allow this thing to be released? I am so angry and hurt and saddened by all this. This album would be spectacular if not for the sound. What a waste of some incredible music!

-3 Months Later
Nope, still unlistenable. I do really dig Ghost Rider and Earthshine though...maybe if I just listen to those 2 I won't blow my eardrums out

-1year later
Wait. This album might not be very good even with a decent production, but that can't be right. It's freaking Rush!  One day they will address this and we can hear it remastered then I can finally appreciate the album's brilliance!

-Day after the release of the remastered version
Aw, crap. The suckiness is still there.

I've had to accept the fact that the amazing Rush has indeed put out 1 bad album by their standards, and it's Vapor Trails. However, the album being made is a miracle in itself and it should be appreciated for that miracle. The boys clearly were trying to find themselves again with this one, and they deserve an album to do that.  I know it's special to them, but it's just not what we expect from Rush. Their bar is so high.

Earthshine and Ghost Rider are very good songs, not amongst Rush's best, but still good. Ghost Rider is pure emotion...

OLV, Secret Touch, and Peaceable Kingdom are worth a listen here and there....

From there, the rest are in the same category as Tai Shan and You Bet Your Life and I think you know what category that is...

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone, 11 September 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#43 On TheRoad To Adventure

On TheRoad To Adventure

The Seeker

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

One Little Victory is epic.  I also love Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider, and Earthshine.  Having said that, I was disappointed with the sound when it first came out.  The remixed version is much better.

#44 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

Vapor Trails is the one Rush album that I don't think has a lot of redeeming qualities.  I think it sucked when it first came out and it still sucks now.  It is the only Rush album of which my initial opinion has never changed.  Actually, Vapor Trails is the reason why I didn't bother with Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels  when they first came out.  I figured they were done at that point.

#45 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83450 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

Posted Image

#46 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32225 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

View Postgoose, on 10 September 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 September 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Masterpiece.

Top five for me.

1. Hold Your Fire
2. Moving Pictures
3. Vapor Trails
4. Grace Under Pressure
5. Roll The Bones

(A Farewell To Kings has dropped to 6th place...)
Bones has snuck in there.  What are your favs from that one?

Dreamline
Bravado
Roll The Bones
The Big Wheel
Ghost Of A Chance
Heresy
Where's My Thing

The rest is either good or awful. But I cam somehow enjoy it all from start to finish, the highs are so many!

#47 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

I'll back Segue.I love RTB.

#48 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostNew Digital Man, on 11 September 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Multi-tracking, why? Did Geddy, one of the best bass players in rock music really need to put down 3 mediocre bass tracks for each tune then I read that Alex had used 50(really??) guitars or something? Wtf?
That's one of the reasons I don't like Alex's tone on VT. I flipped through a Guitar mag of Alex on VT saying he used this guitar here,another there,used these sound processes here,then bank it all up into a gazillion channels for a heavy grungy sound.No wonder there was no room for solos.If I remember he said that he didn't feel it was right to do any grandstanding solos because the album was a group effort or blah,blah,blah,or words to that effect.I didn't buy the mag.

#49 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42068 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

Poor Vapor Trails. I always feel so bad when I read the comments about the album.  :lol:

#50 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

View PostLorraine, on 11 September 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

Poor Vapor Trails. I always feel so bad when I read the comments about the album.  :lol:
I wanted to like it and I try to still do. It's sorta like trying to love your ugly duckling kid.

Edited by grasbo, 11 September 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#51 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42068 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

View Postgrasbo, on 11 September 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

I wanted to like it and I try to still do. It's sorta like trying to love your ugly duckling kid.
I know.  Me too.  But I still always feel so bad when I read the comments about the album.  It has to go down as Rush's most disliked album.

#52 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostLorraine, on 11 September 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

I know.  Me too.  But I still always feel so bad when I read the comments about the album.  It has to go down as Rush's most disliked album.

Then you're doing some selective reading because there clearly are some positive comments in here. If you'd like to read more downer comments make threads on Snakes and Test. But you'll still read some positive stuff.

Test, VT, and Snakes will always get the good loaded with the bad comments.

#53 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:03 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 11 September 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Then you're doing some selective reading because there clearly are some positive comments in here. If you'd like to read more downer comments make threads on Snakes and Test. But you'll still read some positive stuff.

At least Test and Snakes had better production/mastering.

#54 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

View Postgrasbo, on 12 September 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 11 September 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

At least Test and Snakes had better production/mastering.

That's true but all the mastering and production wizardry in the world won't make me like many of those Test & Snakes songs.

#55 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32225 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:12 AM

Snakes is ok. I wouldn't say the songs are bad, its just the album sounds like one long song at times.

Test For Echo is scrappy. But I find it really endearing, and enjoy it a lot.

#56 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42068 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

Judging from the comments posted, I still think this has to go down as one of Rush's most disliked albums.  :)

#57 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Judging from the comments posted, I still think this has to go down as one of Rush's most disliked albums.  :)

Its one of Rush's most polarising albums for sure

Its the Marmite of Rush albums.

#58 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42068 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 12 September 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Its one of Rush's most polarising albums for sure

Its the Marmite of Rush albums.
:lol: :cheers:

#59 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Which is amazing.....VT on it's own merits is a fantastic album -- ESPECIALLY since the remaster came out.  Given that it's bracketed by TFE and SnA, Vapor Trails looks like a friggin' masterpiece.

#60 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

View Postedhunter, on 09 September 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 09 September 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Said it before: VT was something I needed at the time it came out...it was something positive when not much for me was.

However...that mix is unforgivable. How a record label, management team and band could allow that to be released i can't understand.

The songs have a lot of potential I just can't listen to them anymore due to the sound.

Get the remix.

This.  Anyone judging this record based on the original mix, when the re-mix fixes so much -- including adding guitar solos back in -- is just being a dumbass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users