When Rush has technical glitches at shows....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

These 2 come to mind. Both were issues with Alex's guitar. Alex handles them like a pro and keeps the audience engaged.

The thing with Rush that anyone who has worked with them will tell you is that they are the coolest most down to Earth guys going, but if you're working with them, be prepared and don't screw up. Rush works their asses off to put on a great show and expects the same from their crew It looks like in both of these cases, someone dropped the ball big time by not being prepared and being slow to react. Alex seems light hearted in the videos, but I bet someone got it handed to them from Alex or Ged after the show...

https://www.youtube....h?v=5_mbYzM8axo

https://www.youtube....h?v=GjDjM7iJclg

Sponsored Post

#2 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18900 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

At the San Antonio TFE show, Alex's guitar shorted out during Subdivisions. It took him half the set before he stopped fuming about it.

#3 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

View PostJARG, on 08 September 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

At the San Antonio TFE show, Alex's guitar shorted out during Subdivisions. It took him half the set before he stopped fuming about it.
Keeping it real lol...

#4 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

They're perfectionists on top of being entertainers so it's no surprise they'd be fuming after all their meticulous prep work is nullified

#5 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18900 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostNarps, on 08 September 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Keeping it real lol...

He was really pissed at his tech, who apparently wasn't paying when the guitar shorted out. Alex glared at him several times over the next few songs.

#6 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

That "Still No Guitar" thing was surely infuriating to Alex, but damn, that was funny.

I remember seeing them in Tampa, Roll the Bones tour.  During RTB, Neil's snares broke. All of a sudden his snare sound went from crisp to a boom. It was kinda cool actually! Drum tech took care of it right away.

#7 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

View PostMystic Slipperman, on 08 September 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

That "Still No Guitar" thing was surely infuriating to Alex, but damn, that was funny.

I remember seeing them in Tampa, Roll the Bones tour.  During RTB, Neil's snares broke. All of a sudden his snare sound went from crisp to a boom. It was kinda cool actually! Drum tech took care of it right away.

That drum tech handled it because Neil castrated his previous drum tech who hadn't been on the...ball.

#8 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42121 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

I have one.   It's a boot from the 80's.  I have to find it.  Geddy forgot the words to a song and Alex's guitar string broke.  First, Alex's guitar string broke, and then it so took Geddy off balance, that he messed up the verses to the song.

I'll be back...

EDIT:  It's Red Barchetta - https://youtu.be/gHYALx-oBd4?t=2863

Edited by Lorraine, 08 September 2017 - 11:32 AM.

#9 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1116 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 08 September 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

These 2 come to mind. Both were issues with Alex's guitar. Alex handles them like a pro and keeps the audience engaged.

The thing with Rush that anyone who has worked with them will tell you is that they are the coolest most down to Earth guys going, but if you're working with them, be prepared and don't screw up. Rush works their asses off to put on a great show and expects the same from their crew It looks like in both of these cases, someone dropped the ball big time by not being prepared and being slow to react. Alex seems light hearted in the videos, but I bet someone got it handed to them from Alex or Ged after the show...

https://www.youtube....h?v=5_mbYzM8axo

https://www.youtube....h?v=GjDjM7iJclg

Lack of organisation completely outa order on that second vid :) funny dance while waiting though :)

#10 greyfriar

greyfriar

River Rhine BurgerMeister

• Members
  • 7919 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

I was at that show and I remember that guitar incident. It was actually funny to see his reaction.
Otherwise it was a great show. First time I saw the "Evening with..." format.

#11 greyfriar

greyfriar

• Members
  • 7919 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

Power failure during Xanadu, Boston 1979.

#12 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 34019 posts
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

:lol: Sounds funny but bad at the same time

#13 greyfriar

greyfriar

• Members
  • 7919 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Well, not exactly a technical glitch but a great example of human error... Can't remember where or when it was but I think it was the Time Machine tour, when Geddy f***ed up The Spirit Of Radio, by starting the song with the second verse..."off on your way, hit the open road"... :)

#14 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18900 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

View Postgreyfriar, on 08 September 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

I was at that show and I remember that guitar incident. It was actually funny to see his reaction.
Otherwise it was a great show. First time I saw the "Evening with..." format.

He was in good spirits otherwise, goofing off for the camera and sidling up to Pamela.

#15 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

Time Machine Tour, opening night glitches with Geddy's set up.  So Alex breaks the tension by telling a joke at 1:11.

#16 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Don't think I ever recall Geddy having issues with his bass or bass rig, I could be wrong?

#17 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

As I play in a band with only a squillionth of the gear Rush use we do have a bit to worry about.It really throws you off kilter when you stomp on box and it don't work.At least Alex doesn't do a Pete Townsend.

#18 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3740 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

Perfection is the goal, but it takes a person with keen insight to realize shit happens and to just roll with it. No need to be a prick about it.

#19 nicky6

nicky6

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

yeah I agree, no need to be a jerk..  just ask the florida police department what they think of alex?? ha ha

#20 MMCXII

MMCXII

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 08 September 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

The one where he dances when his guitar is out of his hands is funny as hell!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users