Jump to content


God answers millions of prayers: Craig Carton Arrested


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24832 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:54 AM

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Southern District of New York

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE


Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Manhattan U.S. Attorney And FBI Assistant Director Announce Securities And Wire Fraud Charges Against Craig Carton And Michael Wright




Joon H. Kim, the Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and William F. Sweeney Jr, the Assistant Director-in-Charge of the New York Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”), announced today that CRAIG CARTON and MICHAEL WRIGHT were arrested this morning and charged with securities fraud, wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit those offenses.

As alleged, CARTON, WRIGHT, and another individual (“CC-1”) worked together to induce investors to provide them with millions of dollars, based on representations that the investor funds would be used to purchase blocks of tickets to concerts, which would then be re-sold on the secondary market. CARTON and CC-1 purportedly had access to those blocks of tickets based on agreements that CC-1 had with a company that promotes live music and entertainment events (the “Concert Promotion Company”) and that CARTON had with a company that operates two arenas in the New York metropolitan area (the “Sports and Entertainment Company”). In fact, neither the Concert Promotion Company nor the Sports and Entertainment Company had any such agreement with CARTON, WRIGHT, or CC-1, or any entity associated with them. After receiving the investor funds, CARTON, WRIGHT, and CC-1 misappropriated those funds, using them to, among other things, pay personal debts and repay prior investors as part of a Ponzi-like scheme.
CARTON and WRIGHT will be presented later today in Manhattan federal court.

Acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon H. Kim said: “As alleged, Craig Carton and Michael Wright deceived investors and raised millions of dollars through misrepresentation and outright lies. Their schemes were allegedly propped up by phony contracts with two companies to purchase blocks of concert tickets, when in fact, Carton and Wright had no deals to purchase any tickets at all. As alleged, behind all the talk, the Wright and Carton show was just a sham, designed to fleece investors out of millions ultimately to be spent on payments to casinos and to pay off other personal debt.”

FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge William F. Sweeney Jr. said: “Carton and Wright thought they could get off easy by allegedly paying off their debts with other people’s money. They then attempted to pay off investors with money that would eventually become future debt, as alleged. We see this time and time again, the rise and fall of a Ponzi scheme destined for failure. The truth is, the time will come when your luck runs out. Unfortunately for those arrested today, that time is now.”

According to the Complaint unsealed today Manhattan federal court:

In the fall of 2016, CARTON, WRIGHT, and CC-1 exchanged emails and text messages regarding their existing debts. On September 5, 2016, for example, WRIGHT emailed CARTON and CC-1, “for the sake of our conversation tomorrow,” and outlined “the debt past due and due next week.” WRIGHT listed several apparent creditors, to whom he, CC-1, and/or CARTON were personally indebted for over a million dollars. WRIGHT listed eight possible options for repaying the debt, including “Run to Costa Rica, change name, and start life all over again – may not be an option.” CARTON responded to WRIGHT and CC-1, stating “don’t forget I have $1m coming tomorrow from ticket investor[.] will need to be discussed how to handle.” On September 7, 2016, CARTON emailed WRIGHT and CC-1, referenced a potential investor (“Investor-1”) in an upcoming holiday concert tour, and suggested “borrow[ing] against projected profits” on that investment.

Later in the fall of 2016, CARTON began negotiating with a hedge fund (the “Hedge Fund”) regarding a transaction in which the Hedge Fund would extend CARTON capital to finance CARTON’s purchase of event tickets, which CARTON would then re-sell at a profit. In early December 2016, CC-1 texted CARTON and WRIGHT and discussed using the Hedge Fund’s capital “to repay debts,” and not for the purchase of tickets.

The next day, December 7, 2016, CARTON emailed the Hedge Fund five agreements between (i) CC-1 and a company controlled by CC-1 (the “CC-1 Entity”) and (ii) the Concert Promotion Company. In each of the purported agreements, the Concert Promotion Company agreed to sell the CC-1 Entity up $10 million worth of tickets to different concert tours. However, as alleged, these agreements were fraudulent and had not, in fact been entered into by the Concert Promotion Company.

The following day, the Hedge Fund and CARTON executed the revolving loan agreement (the “Revolving Loan Agreement”), under which the Hedge Fund agreed to provide CARTON with up to $10 million, for the purpose of funding investments in the purchase of tickets for events. The Revolving Loan Agreement provided, in sum and substance, that the proceeds of the loan would be used only to purchase tickets pursuant to agreements for the acquisition of tickets, including the agreements with the Concert Promotion Company and for limited business expenses. The Hedge Fund would receive a share of the profits from the resale of the tickets.

The Hedge Fund then sent $700,000 to the CC-1 Entity to finance the purchase of tickets pursuant to the agreements between the CC-1 Entity and the Concert Promotion Company. CC-1, however, then sent this money to a bank account controlled by WRIGHT, who then, on December 12, sent $200,000 to CARTON’s personal bank account (the “CARTON Bank Account”), which CARTON then wired to a casino. Also on December 12, WRIGHT sent another $500,000 to an individual who had previously lent CARTON $500,000, which was due to be repaid that day.
Later in December 2016, the Hedge Fund sent an additional $1.9 million to the CC-1 Entity, to finance the purchase of tickets pursuant to agreements between the CC-1 Entity and the Concert Promotion Company. Once again, the Concert Promotion Company had not entered into any such agreements. CC-1, WRIGHT, and CARTON engaged in text messages regarding the disposition of these funds. Some of the money was used by CC-1 to repay two individuals who had previously invested with CC-1 in a related scheme involving the purported investment in the resale of tickets, and by CARTON to pay casinos and to pay Investor-1 a purported return on an earlier investment in a ticket-related venture.

CARTON also induced the Hedge Fund to wire $2 million to the Sports and Entertainment Company, based purportedly on an agreement he had with the Sports and Entertainment Company (the “Sports and Entertainment Company Agreement”). The Sports and Entertainment Company Agreement purportedly gave an entity controlled by CARTON (the “CARTON Entity”) the right to purchase $2 million of tickets to concerts at one of the venues operated by the Sports and Entertainment Company. CARTON, among other things, sent the Hedge Fund a copy of the Sports and Entertainment Company Agreement that purportedly had been signed by the chief executive officer of the Sports and Entertainment Company. However, this agreement was fraudulent and had never been entered into by the Sports and Entertainment Company or signed by the chief executive officer.

On December 20, 2016, when the Hedge Fund wired the $2 million to the Sports and Entertainment Company, CARTON contacted the Sports and Entertainment Company and told them, in sum and substance, that the wire had been sent in error and should be sent to the bank account for an entity operated by CARTON and WRIGHT, for which WRIGHT is the signatory. After the money was rewired to that account, WRIGHT wired $966,000 to WRIGHT’s personal bank account and $700,000 to the CARTON Bank Account. CARTON then wired approximately $188,000 from the CARTON Bank Account, including at least $133,000 in wires to several casinos.

* * *

CARTON, 48, of New York, New York, and WRIGHT, 41, of Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, are each charged with one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud and wire fraud, one count of wire fraud, and one count of securities fraud. The conspiracy count carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000, or twice the gross gain or loss from the offense. The securities fraud count carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $5 million, or twice the gross gain or loss from the offense. The wire fraud count carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000 or twice the gross gain or loss from the offense. The maximum potential sentences in this case are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendants will be determined by the judge.

Mr. Kim praised the investigative work of the FBI and thanked the Boston Regional Office of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which has filed civil charges against CARTON and CC-1 in a separate action. He added that the FBI’s investigation is ongoing.

This case is being handled by the Office’s Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Brendan F. Quigley and Elisha J. Kobre are in charge of the prosecution.

The allegations contained in the Complaint are merely accusations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

Sponsored Post

#2 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1721 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

I barely ever listened to FAN again once he came. He was a douche from day one.

#3 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's It™ Sig

  • Members
  • 15991 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

Never heard of them

#4 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1721 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:27 AM

View PostAncient Ways, on 08 September 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

Never heard of them

Once Al Sharpton got Don Imus run off the air for his "nappy headed hos" comment, FAN hired Carton and Boomer Esiason for their morning spot. They sucked.

#5 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 69602 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

View Postedhunter, on 08 September 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 08 September 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

Never heard of them

Once Al Sharpton got Don Imus run off the air for his "nappy headed hos" comment, FAN hired Carton and Boomer Esiason for their morning spot. They sucked.
I've never listened to them.   Is Carton worse than Esiason?     Is that even possible?

#6 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

Is he the guy who got fired from WIP in Philly for saying that Eric Lindros was scratched from a Flyers game because of a hangover?

#7 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 9813 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

Don't know who this person is but it's a good thing he got arrested if he was involved in something like that.

#8 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5826 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

Never listened to Boomer and Carton but he sounds like a real jerk. That being said, it must be awful to have a gambling addiction. An attorney in our town that seemed like a nice guy was recently convicted of stealing over half a million dollars from his clients. Literally from elderly people and a widow. He couldn't  quit going to the casino and then kept trying to recoup his losses.

#9 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24832 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

View PostRelayer2112, on 08 September 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Is he the guy who got fired from WIP in Philly for saying that Eric Lindros was scratched from a Flyers game because of a hangover?

I don't know if he was fired, but his story was confirmed as correct on that one, IIRC.

#10 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1721 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 September 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 08 September 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 08 September 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

Never heard of them

Once Al Sharpton got Don Imus run off the air for his "nappy headed hos" comment, FAN hired Carton and Boomer Esiason for their morning spot. They sucked.
I've never listened to them.   Is Carton worse than Esiason?     Is that even possible?

He's loud and obnoxious, like Chris Russo, but without having a clue what he's talking about.

#11 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1588 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

View Postedhunter, on 10 September 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 September 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 08 September 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 08 September 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

Never heard of them

Once Al Sharpton got Don Imus run off the air for his "nappy headed hos" comment, FAN hired Carton and Boomer Esiason for their morning spot. They sucked.
I've never listened to them.   Is Carton worse than Esiason? Is that even possible?

He's loud and obnoxious, like Chris Russo, but without having a clue what he's talking about.
Oh, kinda like Joe Buck!

#12 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostLedRush, on 10 September 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

View PostRelayer2112, on 08 September 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Is he the guy who got fired from WIP in Philly for saying that Eric Lindros was scratched from a Flyers game because of a hangover?

I don't know if he was fired, but his story was confirmed as correct on that one, IIRC.

If this is the same guy, I'm pretty sure the Flyers demanded that WIP fire him over the Lindros story and they did.  Bobby Clarke came out many years later and said that Lindros did indeed miss a game because of a hangover.

#13 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24832 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostRelayer2112, on 18 September 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 10 September 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

View PostRelayer2112, on 08 September 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Is he the guy who got fired from WIP in Philly for saying that Eric Lindros was scratched from a Flyers game because of a hangover?

I don't know if he was fired, but his story was confirmed as correct on that one, IIRC.

If this is the same guy, I'm pretty sure the Flyers demanded that WIP fire him over the Lindros story and they did.  Bobby Clarke came out many years later and said that Lindros did indeed miss a game because of a hangover.

That's the guy

#14 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostLedRush, on 08 September 2017 - 02:54 AM, said:

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Southern District of New York

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE


Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Manhattan U.S. Attorney And FBI Assistant Director Announce Securities And Wire Fraud Charges Against Craig Carton And Michael Wright




Joon H. Kim, the Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and William F. Sweeney Jr, the Assistant Director-in-Charge of the New York Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”), announced today that CRAIG CARTON and MICHAEL WRIGHT were arrested this morning and charged with securities fraud, wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit those offenses.

As alleged, CARTON, WRIGHT, and another individual (“CC-1”) worked together to induce investors to provide them with millions of dollars, based on representations that the investor funds would be used to purchase blocks of tickets to concerts, which would then be re-sold on the secondary market. CARTON and CC-1 purportedly had access to those blocks of tickets based on agreements that CC-1 had with a company that promotes live music and entertainment events (the “Concert Promotion Company”) and that CARTON had with a company that operates two arenas in the New York metropolitan area (the “Sports and Entertainment Company”). In fact, neither the Concert Promotion Company nor the Sports and Entertainment Company had any such agreement with CARTON, WRIGHT, or CC-1, or any entity associated with them. After receiving the investor funds, CARTON, WRIGHT, and CC-1 misappropriated those funds, using them to, among other things, pay personal debts and repay prior investors as part of a Ponzi-like scheme.
CARTON and WRIGHT will be presented later today in Manhattan federal court.

Acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon H. Kim said: “As alleged, Craig Carton and Michael Wright deceived investors and raised millions of dollars through misrepresentation and outright lies. Their schemes were allegedly propped up by phony contracts with two companies to purchase blocks of concert tickets, when in fact, Carton and Wright had no deals to purchase any tickets at all. As alleged, behind all the talk, the Wright and Carton show was just a sham, designed to fleece investors out of millions ultimately to be spent on payments to casinos and to pay off other personal debt.”

FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge William F. Sweeney Jr. said: “Carton and Wright thought they could get off easy by allegedly paying off their debts with other people’s money. They then attempted to pay off investors with money that would eventually become future debt, as alleged. We see this time and time again, the rise and fall of a Ponzi scheme destined for failure. The truth is, the time will come when your luck runs out. Unfortunately for those arrested today, that time is now.”

According to the Complaint unsealed today Manhattan federal court:

In the fall of 2016, CARTON, WRIGHT, and CC-1 exchanged emails and text messages regarding their existing debts. On September 5, 2016, for example, WRIGHT emailed CARTON and CC-1, “for the sake of our conversation tomorrow,” and outlined “the debt past due and due next week.” WRIGHT listed several apparent creditors, to whom he, CC-1, and/or CARTON were personally indebted for over a million dollars. WRIGHT listed eight possible options for repaying the debt, including “Run to Costa Rica, change name, and start life all over again – may not be an option.” CARTON responded to WRIGHT and CC-1, stating “don’t forget I have $1m coming tomorrow from ticket investor[.] will need to be discussed how to handle.” On September 7, 2016, CARTON emailed WRIGHT and CC-1, referenced a potential investor (“Investor-1”) in an upcoming holiday concert tour, and suggested “borrow[ing] against projected profits” on that investment.

Later in the fall of 2016, CARTON began negotiating with a hedge fund (the “Hedge Fund”) regarding a transaction in which the Hedge Fund would extend CARTON capital to finance CARTON’s purchase of event tickets, which CARTON would then re-sell at a profit. In early December 2016, CC-1 texted CARTON and WRIGHT and discussed using the Hedge Fund’s capital “to repay debts,” and not for the purchase of tickets.

The next day, December 7, 2016, CARTON emailed the Hedge Fund five agreements between (i) CC-1 and a company controlled by CC-1 (the “CC-1 Entity”) and (ii) the Concert Promotion Company. In each of the purported agreements, the Concert Promotion Company agreed to sell the CC-1 Entity up $10 million worth of tickets to different concert tours. However, as alleged, these agreements were fraudulent and had not, in fact been entered into by the Concert Promotion Company.

The following day, the Hedge Fund and CARTON executed the revolving loan agreement (the “Revolving Loan Agreement”), under which the Hedge Fund agreed to provide CARTON with up to $10 million, for the purpose of funding investments in the purchase of tickets for events. The Revolving Loan Agreement provided, in sum and substance, that the proceeds of the loan would be used only to purchase tickets pursuant to agreements for the acquisition of tickets, including the agreements with the Concert Promotion Company and for limited business expenses. The Hedge Fund would receive a share of the profits from the resale of the tickets.

The Hedge Fund then sent $700,000 to the CC-1 Entity to finance the purchase of tickets pursuant to the agreements between the CC-1 Entity and the Concert Promotion Company. CC-1, however, then sent this money to a bank account controlled by WRIGHT, who then, on December 12, sent $200,000 to CARTON’s personal bank account (the “CARTON Bank Account”), which CARTON then wired to a casino. Also on December 12, WRIGHT sent another $500,000 to an individual who had previously lent CARTON $500,000, which was due to be repaid that day.
Later in December 2016, the Hedge Fund sent an additional $1.9 million to the CC-1 Entity, to finance the purchase of tickets pursuant to agreements between the CC-1 Entity and the Concert Promotion Company. Once again, the Concert Promotion Company had not entered into any such agreements. CC-1, WRIGHT, and CARTON engaged in text messages regarding the disposition of these funds. Some of the money was used by CC-1 to repay two individuals who had previously invested with CC-1 in a related scheme involving the purported investment in the resale of tickets, and by CARTON to pay casinos and to pay Investor-1 a purported return on an earlier investment in a ticket-related venture.

CARTON also induced the Hedge Fund to wire $2 million to the Sports and Entertainment Company, based purportedly on an agreement he had with the Sports and Entertainment Company (the “Sports and Entertainment Company Agreement”). The Sports and Entertainment Company Agreement purportedly gave an entity controlled by CARTON (the “CARTON Entity”) the right to purchase $2 million of tickets to concerts at one of the venues operated by the Sports and Entertainment Company. CARTON, among other things, sent the Hedge Fund a copy of the Sports and Entertainment Company Agreement that purportedly had been signed by the chief executive officer of the Sports and Entertainment Company. However, this agreement was fraudulent and had never been entered into by the Sports and Entertainment Company or signed by the chief executive officer.

On December 20, 2016, when the Hedge Fund wired the $2 million to the Sports and Entertainment Company, CARTON contacted the Sports and Entertainment Company and told them, in sum and substance, that the wire had been sent in error and should be sent to the bank account for an entity operated by CARTON and WRIGHT, for which WRIGHT is the signatory. After the money was rewired to that account, WRIGHT wired $966,000 to WRIGHT’s personal bank account and $700,000 to the CARTON Bank Account. CARTON then wired approximately $188,000 from the CARTON Bank Account, including at least $133,000 in wires to several casinos.

* * *

CARTON, 48, of New York, New York, and WRIGHT, 41, of Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, are each charged with one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud and wire fraud, one count of wire fraud, and one count of securities fraud. The conspiracy count carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000, or twice the gross gain or loss from the offense. The securities fraud count carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $5 million, or twice the gross gain or loss from the offense. The wire fraud count carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000 or twice the gross gain or loss from the offense. The maximum potential sentences in this case are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendants will be determined by the judge.

Mr. Kim praised the investigative work of the FBI and thanked the Boston Regional Office of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which has filed civil charges against CARTON and CC-1 in a separate action. He added that the FBI’s investigation is ongoing.

This case is being handled by the Office’s Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Brendan F. Quigley and Elisha J. Kobre are in charge of the prosecution.

The allegations contained in the Complaint are merely accusations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.


AMEN




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users