Jump to content


New music from U2? Album apparently expected within this year! I'm shocked! The singles show promise too!

U2 bono the edge the other two

  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like (7 member(s) have cast votes)

The Little Things That Give You Away

  1. yes (2 votes [28.57%])

    Percentage of vote: 28.57%

  2. no (5 votes [71.43%])

    Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Blackout

  1. yes (4 votes [57.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 57.14%

  2. no (3 votes [42.86%])

    Percentage of vote: 42.86%

You're The Best Thing About Me

  1. yes (4 votes [57.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 57.14%

  2. no (3 votes [42.86%])

    Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3534 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

So U2 have just released the first official single from their forthcoming album "Songs Of Experience."

Number one thing that surprised me here is that the album actually looks like it will see release within the year (Dec. 1st), which would bring an end to the absurd four/five year pattern the band began between All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle And Atomic Bomb (also two of their least interesting efforts to date, as with much of their 2000s material). This means the new album comes at a standard 3 years after Songs Of Innocence was dropped into everyone's iTunes accounts, which is kind of amazing for U2.

In addition, and the big reason why I don't think the Dec. 1st date is a joke, the band has released one official single from the new album and debuted two more of the albums tracks live on their current tour. While nothing here really compares to the band's heyday, to my ears this is some of the most interesting material they've put out in years. Easily more so than Songs Of Innocence, How To Dismantle And Atomic Bomb, and All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Anyway, you can judge these songs for yourself I'm sure, so here are the links to the videos of the three tracks, I believe each one is better than the last:


The Little Things That Give You Away:
https://youtu.be/4CxFClsbF94

Blackout:
https://youtu.be/jKWVNNoNHgI

You're The Best Thing About Me:
https://youtu.be/PbGSiJ9iat8

Sponsored Post

#2 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 83440 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

Shit sandwich!

#3 ReRushed

ReRushed

    My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

  • Members
  • 18669 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, NY

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

Yep. Those are U2 songs. Nothing out of left field creative wise. I did enjoy "You're the Best About Me". It's, well... a good U2 song.

#4 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

    The Dream Police

  • Members
  • 34018 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Down on Fascination Street
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

I'm going to see them in a few days with Beck on there tour for this album, I can't wait!!

Beck is opening a few U2 shows for his tour for his album Colors!!

#5 canadianice

canadianice

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Fading away.

#6 canadianice

canadianice

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

Fading away.

#7 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 07 September 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

I'm going to see them in a few days with Beck on there tour for this album, I can't wait!!

Beck is opening a few U2 shows for his tour for his album Colors!!

U2 was my favorite concert this year.  Seeing Roger Waters next week so that could change.

U2 was EXCELLENT.

#8 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32225 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

I loved the new songs!

#9 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 9811 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

I wonder if they're gonna piss everyone off again by putting the album into their iTunes library when nobody asked for it.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 07 September 2017 - 02:52 PM.


#10 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53716 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

View Postcustom55, on 07 September 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 07 September 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

I'm going to see them in a few days with Beck on there tour for this album, I can't wait!!

Beck is opening a few U2 shows for his tour for his album Colors!!

U2 was my favorite concert this year.  Seeing Roger Waters next week so that could change.

U2 was EXCELLENT.
Like RUSH, they never disappoint live.

#11 canadianice

canadianice

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoney Creek, Ontario

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

I will stick with Auchtung Baby.

#12 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42061 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

Bono's voice is going.

Edit:  I should say that it sounds like his voice is going.

Edited by Lorraine, 07 September 2017 - 05:14 PM.


#13 Steevo

Steevo

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 12111 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

View Postcanadianice, on 07 September 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

I will stick with Auchtung Baby.

I'll stick with The Unforgettable Fire then  :zzz:

#14 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3534 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

So, anyone else ever get frustrated that U2 hasn't changed the formula since 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind? Except they can't even seem to write a powerful crowd pleaser like Beautiful Day anymore. What it is about this band that causes them to never take any semblance of a real risk anymore?

#15 Todem

Todem

    Brosaucerous

  • Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parkland, Florida
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 November 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

So, anyone else ever get frustrated that U2 hasn't changed the formula since 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind? Except they can't even seem to write a powerful crowd pleaser like Beautiful Day anymore. What it is about this band that causes them to never take any semblance of a real risk anymore?

The last great U2 record for me was Achtung Baby (my personal favorite actually). People gloat over Zooropa but I found that to be a POS. Can't stomach that record.

I actually really liked How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Some incredibly great U2 songs on that record (Sometimes You Can't make it On Your Own is amazing and Miracle Drug).

I actually enjoyed No Line On The Horizon too....but sonically it was a mess.

Songs For The Innocent....blech. I have moved on from U2 mostly. They are well past their prime and I personally feel Bono is shot as a vocalist.

#16 stoopid

stoopid

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 752 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate, NY
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Better version (recording) of the first song...



#17 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3534 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

View PostTodem, on 08 November 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 November 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

So, anyone else ever get frustrated that U2 hasn't changed the formula since 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind? Except they can't even seem to write a powerful crowd pleaser like Beautiful Day anymore. What it is about this band that causes them to never take any semblance of a real risk anymore?

The last great U2 record for me was Achtung Baby (my personal favorite actually). People gloat over Zooropa but I found that to be a POS. Can't stomach that record.

I actually really liked How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Some incredibly great U2 songs on that record (Sometimes You Can't make it On Your Own is amazing and Miracle Drug).

I actually enjoyed No Line On The Horizon too....but sonically it was a mess.

Songs For The Innocent....blech. I have moved on from U2 mostly. They are well past their prime and I personally feel Bono is shot as a vocalist.

I have mixed feelings about ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but I really enjoy No Line On The Horizon, one of my favs of theirs.

I can see your point about Zooropa (and I'm assuming Pop as well, lol), but I love that they were experimenting and at least weren't too predictable on those records.

Songs Of Innocence was just okay to me, some good songs and a lot of average ones.

And yeah, Bono's prime is well behind him.

#18 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1407 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

Last solid album was Leave Behind. Before that, Zooropa. Songs of Innocence was good but not great.

#19 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1407 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 November 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

So, anyone else ever get frustrated that U2 hasn't changed the formula since 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind? Except they can't even seem to write a powerful crowd pleaser like Beautiful Day anymore. What it is about this band that causes them to never take any semblance of a real risk anymore?

Exactly!

#20 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

View Postcustom55, on 07 September 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 07 September 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

I'm going to see them in a few days with Beck on there tour for this album, I can't wait!!

Beck is opening a few U2 shows for his tour for his album Colors!!

U2 was my favorite concert this year.  Seeing Roger Waters next week so that could change.

U2 was EXCELLENT.

late update.

Roger Waters was a great show but still like the U2 show better. Apples and oranges though.

  Seeing/hearing The Joshua Tree start to finish was amazing.

U2 are touring in 2018.  Not going.   I've had a few bad U2 shows in 2000's and I feel the next one will be not-so-good.

Edited by custom55, 08 November 2017 - 07:49 PM.






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: U2, bono, the edge, the other two

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users