Which two Rush albums are the most similar to each other?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18930 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Starting with Snakes, all the songs sound like they came from the same crappy album.

Sponsored Post

#22 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83652 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

I'd say :rush: and Roll the Bones are damn near identical. I don't know how they got away with releasing that album again. :smoke:

#23 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

Yeah is good question coz this band dont do same thing twice really, i'd go for Presto/RTB too - major differences but as close as Rush get to similarity in MY OWN PERSONAL VIEW

#24 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53807 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

New_World_Man, on 07 September 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

Presto and RtB are pretty smiliar in that they are both moving away from the synth driven sound of the few before them but not quite back to their heavy power trio roots which they would explore on CP.
:yes:

#25 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1438 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

treeduck, on 07 September 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

I'd say :rush: and Roll the Bones are damn near identical. I don't know how they got away with releasing that album again. :smoke:

Yea why release another song with a rap in it?? They already had a cool one in What You're Doing!

#26 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

rolemodlin, on 06 September 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

To me it's Power Windows and Hold Your Fire but I can see the case for A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres. If backed into a corner I could probably even go with Counterparts and Test For Echo.

I agree regarding Power Windows and HYF. I don't care much for either and lump them both into that heavy synth era of the 80's

#27 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1191 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

CoS and HYF

#28 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

I don't think there are any. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire might be the closest I guess. They were always pushing the envelope.

#29 rftag

rftag

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, science, philosophy, wildlife, skepticism, belief systems, consciousness

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

Great question.

It made me remember that one of the most exciting and unique things about Rush is how their sound would change so much from album to album (what other band does that?).

There was always the exciting anticipation of what would be different on the next album.

There really are no two Rush albums which sound very similar to each other, which is one reason why Rush is so special.

That said, I would have to say that possibly Fly By Night and 2112 sound the most similar.

Edited by rftag, 19 September 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#30 tas7

tas7

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:20 AM

Production values aside, I reckon Moving Pictures and Signals.

#31 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 21139 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

Hold Your Fire is very similar to the dumpster outside my office.  Does that count?

#32 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Presto and RTB because of Rupert's light poppy sound production that stripped back some of the keyboard heavy sounds of the previous albums and sounded nothing like the following 3 albums starting with Counterparts

#33 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

Lyrics aside because that's a whole other issue we can discuss, Counterparts is right up there with MP and PermWaves as the best mixed and sounding Rush album of all time. I was tempted to say it can also be paired with TFE to go along with the thread topic but TFE wasn't mixed or recorded nearly as well as Counterparts. Its too fuzzy and distorted by comparison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users