Favorite Marvel Movies

workingcinderellaman

I was discussing this with ILS and I decided to make a thread. I was going to make this a poll, but there are way too many of them.

I love the current Avenger universe. I still love the first Iron Man and I really like Ant Man. Guardians of the Galaxy is also one of my favorites. I can't narrow it down any more than that.

Looking forward to Thor Ragnarok and The Black Panther.

Hard to say, but I know it isn't any Marvel movie made outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That is, it isn't anything done by Fox, Sony, Universal, or whoever else attempted a Marvel flick.

I'd probably go with either Avengers 1 or Cap 3. Both were a lot of fun and balanced all the characters really well.

Though I liked Guardians overall, I have a big problem with all the liberties they took with some of the characters. Movies will never be an exact representation of their comic counterparts but some of the GotG characters are nowhere near the ballpark of what they should be in regards to personality, powers, and appearance.

If they can come as close as they did (with costumes to boot) with Cap, Iron Man, and Thor then why can't they do that with all of the characters? A bit of laziness? Trying too hard at being hip? I don't know. But whatever it is, they're really nailing some characters while others they're just having the names attached to the costumed actors onscreen.

TBH, what I truly wanted out a Guardians movie was this:

http://typeset-beta.imgix.net/2017/5/2/de0c561f-b0cb-4e4d-bc9b-9e4314a4f285.jpg?w=614&h=&fit=max&auto=format&fm=jpg&q=70

Not this...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-qnacRUMAAwGAf.jpg

I like Sly a lot but the onscreen version of Stakar/Starhawk wasn't this guy one bit:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5GDQPw_ikCo/WPZPY3OGEmI/AAAAAAADnVs/03jcwu-DRo8aBzAxh3NyX1Iu3b0ec7EkQCLcB/s1600/starhawk-and-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-credit-marvel-comics.jpg

Oh, and watching Yondu onscreen is a bit painful for me. Merle Dixon's character isn't Yondu's character but James Gunn seems to think it was suitable.

The JOHNNY BLAZE Kills Gambit, Cable, Deadpool and Bishop With a Chainsaw Christmas Special is my favorite!

I wish!!!! They're all crammed up there at the top of my list!!! :blaze:

I'll give a morsel of credit though: I dislike the Deadpool character AND Ryan Reynolds, and I didn't like the movie...BUT they did accurately portray the character from the comic in that film.

On a side note: There was an article I read on Liefeld in which he admits he was never that good of an artist but for whatever reason, he caught on in those early Deadpool years.

• Like 1

The JOHNNY BLAZE Kills Gambit, Cable, Deadpool and Bishop With a Chainsaw Christmas Special is my favorite!

I'll give a morsel of credit though: I dislike the Deadpool character AND Ryan Reynolds, and I didn't like the movie...BUT they did accurately portray the character from the comic in that film.

On a side note: There was an article I read on Liefeld in which he admits he was never that good of an artist but for whatever reason, he caught on in those early Deadpool years.

They should make Deadpool live up to his name and then just call him "Dead"! :16ton:

They should make Deadpool live up to his name and then just call him "Dead"! :16ton:

Too late. Deadpool 2 is out next year. Josh Brolin as Cable. Black Tom Cassidy is in there too. :sarcastic:

Too late. Deadpool 2 is out next year. Josh Brolin as Cable. Black Tom Cassidy is in there too. :sarcastic:

Who's playing him?

Who's playing him?

Black Tom you mean? Some guy I never heard of. But apparently he had a role in this year's Baywatch flick.

Baywatch...where all the quality actors hone their thespian skills :sarcastic:

• Like 1

Who's playing him?

Black Tom you mean? Some guy I never heard of. But apparently he had a role in this year's Baywatch flick.

That's all you need for a shit character like that anyway.

Who's playing him?

That's all you need for a shit character like that anyway.

Well, surely they're going with the shittier plant-powered version of Black Tom since Deadpool is involved. Sounds dumb? It is!

• Like 1

I think it's pretty incredible that all of the individual Avenger movies have been leading up to one movie.

qxptztio9zqqufrp92n0.png

They can all stand on their own and have managed to use the same actors. The continuity is impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2StAqCKKOU

• Like 1

I think it's pretty incredible that all of the individual Avenger movies have been leading up to one movie.

qxptztio9zqqufrp92n0.png

They can all stand on their own and have managed to use the same actors. The continuity is impressive.

It's the same basic formula that Stan Lee had for the original Avengers comic book in the early 60s...he took the then most popular characters of the time (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man & Wasp) and put them into one magazine. More bang for your buck!

Most of these MCU movies are good because they're helmed by Marvel writers who know the characters. The stories are all already there for the taking. Then it becomes a matter of the right director and actors...not easy of course. But still, if they don't stray too far from the source material, these movies should be successful.

Bryan Singer and his black leathered X-Men...now there's a guy who was worried about looking bad. Too safe. More than half of those Fox Studios X-related flicks were garbage. There've been too many filmmakers & actors over there who didn't know or appreciate the comic characters.

• Like 1

Dr. Strange was surprisingly good.

:yes:

That one and Age of Ultron I really enjoyed.

Spader, Bettany, and that Hulk vs Iron Man fight sequence make that movie for me.

And I'm not sure why they cut it but there's an extended scene of Vision vs the Avengers when he's first created. It's not that much longer but it's cool so I wish it had been kept. You can probably still find it on YouTube or maybe on some DVD extras bit.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Guardians of the Galaxy. After that...Civil War, Guardians 2, The Avengers, and Ant-Man, in that order. I liked Deadpool a lot too.

http://www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/Starhawk-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Marvel-Comics-h1.jpg

The Italian Stallion?!

http://www.chillpill.io/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/borat-not.jpg

• Like 1

qxptztio9zqqufrp92n0.png

It's the same basic formula that Stan Lee had for the original Avengers comic book in the early 60s...he took the then most popular characters of the time (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man & Wasp) and put them into one magazine. More bang for your buck!

Most of these MCU movies are good because they're helmed by Marvel writers who know the characters. The stories are all already there for the taking. Then it becomes a matter of the right director and actors...not easy of course. But still, if they don't stray too far from the source material, these movies should be successful.

Bryan Singer and his black leathered X-Men...now there's a guy who was worried about looking bad. Too safe. More than half of those Fox Studios X-related flicks were garbage. There've been too many filmmakers & actors over there who didn't know or appreciate the comic characters.

I'm not much of a comic book guy, but I love movies. And I love movies based on comic books. Because the concept of superheroes is sort of silly, I think the movies are much better if they incorporate some comedy. Marvel does this really well I think and it's one of the reasons their movies are better than the DC movies. DC takes themselves too seriously IMO. When you were talking about the X-Men movies I was thinking the same thing about them. I did like the fat guy with a tattoo in Wolverine.

Edited by workingcinderellaman

qxptztio9zqqufrp92n0.png

I'm not much of a comic book guy, but I love movies. And I love movies based on comic books. Because the concept of superheroes is sort of silly, I think the movies are much better if they incorporate some comedy. Marvel does this really well I think and it's one of the reasons their movies are better than the DC movies. DC takes themselves too seriously IMO. When you were talking about the X-Men movies I was thinking the same thing about them. I did like the fat guy with a tattoo in Wolverine.

The fat guy in Wolverine was Blob. I absolutely hated that movie though.

Some hero movies should have that comedy. Spidey is the one that totally needs comedy since the character's personality is more light-hearted and wide-eyed.

NONE. None of these movies can match the Marvel comics of the late 60's, 70's and early 80's. Forget your Hollywood bullshit!

TRF doesn't know that you don't even believe your first word sentence and last sentence.

I know you liked Avengers 1, Iron Man 1, Doc Strange, Cap 2, and probably at least half a dozen more.

And you know if a Werewolf By Night or Morbius were coming out with a capable director, writers, and actors, you'd be drooling over the idea every day until opening night!

But yeah, the MCU movies will never match the comics you're talking about. That's just like any movie trying to live up to a classic book though. It obviously can't. But it's possible to do a good or even great version of the original source material.

• Like 1