I Lost My Mom .. And The Human Spirit

Lucas

Friday night, I lost my Mom ..

Up until three months ago, Mom had been going to work 5 days a week and still enjoying life as best as her 86 year old body would allow .. Her spirit and enthusiasm for life, her family and giving back was as strong as ever ..

In mid June we rushed her to the hospital for what turned out to be a gallbladder infection .. She subsequently developed pneumonia, but the spark that carried not only her, but everyone around her, through life continued to fight ..

Friday was the fourth call in the past 8 weeks that we had received telling us that things didn't look good - each time previous, Mom had not only come though, but ended up taking a step forward to returning home ..

Very sadly, a fourth comeback was not to be ..

The human spirit and fight from her is indescribable - inspiring is not even the word ..

I was holding her hand as she took her final breaths ... Nothing can prepare a person for this .. I had lost my Dad and sis years before, but both went sudden and unexpected ..

The range of emotion and the thoughts that have gone though me the past two and half months I am unable to put into words ... My sister and I would visit Mom in the rehab center two, three, sometimes fours times a day ... We were there - hands on - to help with physical therapy .... the people there were tremendous - sincere and inspiring in their own ways ..

At 8:15pm Friday, it dawned on me that Mom was not gone, even though that is when the nurse pronounced her body dead ... He body, vessel, or shell - whatever we want to call it - was only a part of what we came to recognize and "Mom" ... Her mind, her spirit and energy were things all connected to the same "Mom", but each were recognizable on their own ..

It struck me that when the body dies, a person will live on in more than simply "memories" .. Perhaps that spirit and energy will create inspiration and life and add to those who knew her .. Maybe that is how we grow and come closer to our own potential ..

If you shut you phone off, that does not mean that your friends cease to exist ..

If a body dies, that does not mean the life that animated that body vanishes ..

And I believe that we are all connected in some way to this life .. When one person suffers, we all suffer ... The division and blocks between people are all sad signs of lack of development, and lack of awareness ...

In 1947 as a senior, my Mom was the first girl ever suspended from Morristown High School because she violated the rules at a segregated school dance by dancing with a black student ..

My Mom would take her bookbag that said "READ A BANNED BOOK" to every PTA meeting when we were kids ..

In the 1970s when I would go into the post office on the way home from school, I would take out mail from NOW and the National Coalition Against Censorship. having no idea what it was all about ..

Now I know ..

The spirit will never die ..

Mom taught me to believe in myself, be myself and love myself ... Not at the expense of others, but BEACUSE of others ..

We are all bonded in this life by life .... The band that brings us all here created something more that just notes on a recording .. We have all tapped into that same experience and that same energy ..

We have all lost people and animals that we love .. Please allow them to continue to live on by remaining positive and fighting the good fight ..

Mom, your body will RIP .. Your life will live forever

Luc, your Father and I are cashing in our life insurance and selling our wedding bands to finance the family business .. When we're no longer here, that is what will be there for you

Thank you Mom

• Like 31

Up until three months ago, Mom had been going to work 5 days a week and still enjoying life as best as her 86 year old body would allow .. Her spirit and enthusiasm for life, her family and giving back was as strong as ever ..

In mid June we rushed her to the hospital for what turned out to be a gallbladder infection .. She subsequently developed pneumonia, but the spark that carried not only her, but everyone around her, through life continued to fight ..

Friday was the fourth call in the past 8 weeks that we had received telling us that things didn't look good - each time previous, Mom had not only come though, but ended up taking a step forward to returning home ..

The human spirit and fight from her is indescribable - inspiring is not even the word ..

I was holding her hand as she took her final breaths ... Nothing can prepare a person for this .. I had lost my Dad and sis years before, but both went sudden and unexpected ..

The range of emotion and the thoughts that have gone though me the past two and half months I am unable to put into words ... My sister and I would visit Mom in the rehab center two, three, sometimes fours times a day ... We were there - hands on - to help with physical therapy .... the people there were tremendous - sincere and inspiring in their own ways ..

At 8:15pm Friday, it dawned on me that Mom was not gone, even though that is when the nurse pronounced her body dead ... He body, vessel, or shell - whatever we want to call it - was only a part of what we came to recognize and "Mom" ... Her mind, her spirit and energy were things all connected to the same "Mom", but each were recognizable on their own ..

It struck me that when the body dies, a person will live on in more than simply "memories" .. Perhaps that spirit and energy will create inspiration and life and add to those who knew her .. Maybe that is how we grow and come closer to our own potential ..

If you shut you phone off, that does not mean that your friends cease to exist ..

And I believe that we are all connected in some way to this life .. When one person suffers, we all suffer ... The division and blocks between people are all sad signs of lack of development, and lack of awareness ...

In 1947 as a senior, my Mom was the first girl ever suspended from Morristown High School because she violated the rules at a segregated school dance by dancing with a black student ..

My Mom would take her bookbag that said "READ A BANNED BOOK" to every PTA meeting when we were kids ..

In the 1970s when I would go into the post office on the way home from school, I would take out mail from NOW and the National Coalition Against Censorship. having no idea what it was all about ..

Now I know ..

Mom taught me to believe in myself, be myself and love myself ... Not at the expense of others, but BEACUSE of others ..

We are all bonded in this life by life .... The band that brings us all here created something more that just notes on a recording .. We have all tapped into that same experience and that same energy ..

We have all lost people and animals that we love .. Please allow them to continue to live on by remaining positive and fighting the good fight ..

Luc, your Father and I are cashing in our life insurance and selling our wedding bands to finance the family business .. When we're no longer here, that is what will be there for you

Thank you Mom

So sorry for your loss. Having just lost my dad, I know how much it hurts and probably will for the rest of your life. Try to remember the good moments and honor her with your life. I know you will.

:rose:

• Like 5

:hug2:

My sincerest condolences on your loss!

I lost my Mom in 1989.

She was one of the most arduous women I have ever known.

I would give anything to have her back again!

No one will love you like ones mother and they're very hard to lose.

I will pray you and all affected and also for her to have a safe journey home.

Soon we will all leave this finite place and be reunited.

• Like 3

I'm so sorry for your loss, but as you said, it isn't a complete loss. Your mom will live on in spirit through you and all those she was connected to. And I believe one day you will see her again. My condolences. :rose:
  • Like 2

My condolences to you, your sister and all the other people that were inspired by your mother. I hope you find the strength and ensuing peace that is needed to carry on in times like these.

Thanks Lucas for your thoughtfulness and unselfish contributions to this forum.

• Like 6

So sorry to hear. I am so glad and thankful to still have my parents around and still a big part of my life. Your post was beautiful as is your attitude. Take good care...
  • Like 4

((Hugs)) to you, Lucas. :hug2: :hug2: I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your memories of your mom- she sounds awesome. How wonderful that her spirit lives on in you; I believe it does. I wish peace for you and your sister- you both will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Like 4

So sorry for your loss, Lucas. I haven´t been through a situation like this yet - I lost my grandparents but losing a parent must be a billion times worse. Know that you have a friend in me if you ever want to talk. And at least we know that your mother´s legacy is kept alive through the attitudes of you and your sister.
  • Like 3

Now I know ..

Thank you Mom

I lost my Mother in 2008. A month after I signed my retirement papers....I lost my Father in 2004. I keep an Olan Mills portrait in my Living room right in front of me always....Mom And Dad. I still think about them every day. Time eases the pain. Keep a STRONG HOLD on the good memories... Condolences, my friend.

http://i.imgur.com/HCDob5b.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 3

Oh Lucas, I am so very sorry for your loss. Your Mom sounded like a great person. You are a product of her. That sounds like something to really be proud of. :heart:
  • Like 2

So sorry to hear your news Lucas. Your mom sounds like a really special lady.

I lost my Mum at the end of 2013 and my Dad in 2015. It's tough and sometimes grief reappears from out of nowhere, but remember the good things.

Thinking of you. :hug2:

• Like 2