The Official Chicago Thread

Texas King

What do you think about this band? How well are you familar with their output?

I really dig these 4 albums: Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago (II), III and V and lost an interest after that.

Today I listened to their debut Chicago Transit Authority and it's a great album. It's one of the underrated rock debuts.

http://img.yaplog.jp/img/18/pc/b/e/a/beatry/0/297.jpg

And Terry Kath is a very good musician.

My favorite Chicago song is probably "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?".

Your opinions? Discuss.

• Like 5

I first heard the CTA album when I was about 16, and wow! What an impression it made. They had some easy listening hits on the radio stations that my mom listened to, when I was a very little kid- If You Leave Me Now, etc...but I had no idea there was so much to dig into with their really early catalog. Tremendous musicians, all of them. Terry Kath has always been an underrated gem of a player, but all of them are just phenomenal musicians.

Texas King, definitely give Chicago VII another listen, if it's been awhile. That was the last double studio album they made, and it is wall-to-wall great.

• Like 3

At my school, most especially in the school band, we often here Chicago referred to as "the greatest rock band of all time." While I'm often the voice of disagreement when that comes up, I cannot deny that they were ONE OF the greatest bands of all time. Terry Kath was incredible, sure, but then again so was the whole band!
  • Like 3

What do you think about this band? How well are you familar with their output?

I really dig these 4 albums: Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago (II), III and V and lost an interest after that.

Today I listened to their debut Chicago Transit Authority and it's a great album. It's one of the underrated rock debuts.

http://img.yaplog.jp/img/18/pc/b/e/a/beatry/0/297.jpg

And Terry Kath is a very good musician.

My favorite Chicago song is probably "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?".

Your opinions? Discuss.

Their third album is really, really outstanding as well.

• Like 1

Love their old stuff. I can remember my sister playing that over and over when I was a kid. Saw "them" with EWF last year and they still sound good. The guy who replaced Cetera really makes some crazy expression s trying to hit high notes. Very Joe Cocker-esque
  • Like 2

Love their old stuff. I can remember my sister playing that over and over when I was a kid. Saw "them" with EWF last year and they still sound good. The guy who replaced Cetera really makes some crazy expression s trying to hit high notes. Very Joe Cocker-esque

Glad to hear they still sound good! We are going to see them in November; they are coming to a college about 20 minutes away. It's a newer arts center with really good sound so I'm looking forward to it!

My husband- "What if they don't sound good anymore?" Me- "How can they not sound good? Who's not going to go see Chicago when they're 20 minutes away??" :banghead:

• Like 1

I was a fan as soon as debut Chicago Transit Authority was launched. saw the original lineup with Terry Kath twice in Toronto. I posted hear before that my friend and I jumped a fence and got up to their limousines for autographs. Loved their older stuff.

They seemed strong at every position IMO.. JAmes Pankow was leader of horn section and wrote great songs.. Robert Lamm wrote great tunes too... He was married to actress Karen Lamm for a while if my memory is correct, that's just some gossip thrown in... I thought Danny Seraphine was a great drummer too.. If you want juicy inside details, read his autobiography..

Just some of my thoughts.

• Like 2

I was a fan as soon as debut Chicago Transit Authority was launched. saw the original lineup with Terry Kath twice in Toronto. I posted hear before that my friend and I jumped a fence and got up to their limousines for autographs. Loved their older stuff.

They seemed strong at every position IMO.. JAmes Pankow was leader of horn section and wrote great songs.. Robert Lamm wrote great tunes too... He was married to actress Karen Lamm for a while if my memory is correct, that's just some gossip thrown in... I thought Danny Seraphine was a great drummer too.. If you want juicy inside details, read his autobiography..

They came to my college in 1985ish, they played at the state fair. Afterwards, we hung around the bus and I remember screaming for James Pankow as he was getting on the bus, lol. He still plays a mean trombone.

There was a really good special on them, was it last year? I forget what channel, but it was really good, the history of the band.

• Like 3

I'm with you, Tex.

The debut was a one and only and, as you say, underrated, and I remember when it came out in 1969. I think it was the summer, and I was about to go into my sophomore year of high school. i loved it! It was a welcome change from all the other music around at the time, and it took me forever to figure out he was singing "question 67 and 68" at the end of Question 67 and 68. :eh:

As time went on, I lost interest in them, but Troutman (wherever did he run off to???? hope he's okay.....) and I dust their music off and spin it on here from time to time. In fact, today is a good day for that. :)

• Like 1

Danny Seraphine was a great drummer, indeed!

Nice personal account, very cool.

• Like 1

I have said this many times, I will say it again.

Their first 5 albums to me are flawless and some of the best Jazz Rock albums you will ever find.

Terry Kath is one of the most underrated guitar players of all time, and if he was alive longer could have been known as one of the greatest of all time

(I mean even Jimi Hendrix said that Terry was a better guitar player than he was)

• Like 2

Fancy Colors may be the best song on Chicago II, it has nearly everything I love about this album all in one place!
  • Like 1

Feeling Stronger Every Day, was my Favorite Song until I heard "Band New Love Affair" from VIII, the Cardinal album...Still have the 45 rpm of FSED! i sent in for the self applied T-shirt Transfer of the Album cover logo and had the T-shirt for a LONG time until '77 when Star Wars Came out and I got one of that movie!ALbsCAn.jpg

OjbOXBa.jpg

• Like 2