2017-2018 College Football Thread

blueschica

A big chunk of the country, tired of hearing about how great the SEC is and tired of seeing Alabama fawned over, no longer care about the NCAA football championship. Some of us will still watch it, or parts of it depending on what else is on, but don't really care. Like the Yankees in the World Series or the Cheatriots in the Super Bowl. Meh.

Suffering severe butthurt after Bama's defense stomped all over Clemson's offense?

A big chunk of the country, tired of hearing about how great the SEC is and tired of seeing Alabama fawned over, no longer care about the NCAA football championship. Some of us will still watch it, or parts of it depending on what else is on, but don't really care. Like the Yankees in the World Series or the Cheatriots in the Super Bowl. Meh.

Suffering severe butthurt after Bama's defense stomped all over Clemson's offense?

Not at all. Not a Clemson fan, unless they're playing Alabama. Just tired of the media and Alabama fans blathering on about how great the SEC is when the stats don't prove that. They have Alabama, a couple of teams that are usually pretty good, and then the rest of them which is just like almost every other conference in NCAA football. The only other team that gets as much cloyingly disgusting love from the media is Notre Dame.

• Like 1

Now Satan is pitching a bitch because of the shortness of time between the semi-finals and the championship. Hey Nicky, that solution is simple. Go right to conference play at the start of the season instead of creampuffs like the 'Bama School for the Blind Girls team. That goes for the rest of you pretenders in and out of the confrences too!
  • Like 2

Next year the SEC might be interesting’ though. I read the Miami Dolphins are joining. They’ll probably struggle for a few seasons, but eventually they might be competitive.

The new material hasn't shown up yet?

It’s apparently traveling with the Dolphins’ next playoff win.

Brady can't do better than 7-9 in road games against "SEC" road games despite playing in an offense that only makes him throw 3 difficult passes a season?

Actually, given the SEC and its long tradition of "bending" the rules, your boys would fit right in there. I don't know if your have an equivalent to Maaaaaahk Henderson, though given the climate.

Interestingly, since Brady has been the Patriots' starting QB, 7-9 is the average record of the Dolphins. The Patriots have never sunk that low in any of those same seasons.

Now Satan is pitching a bitch because of the shortness of time between the semi-finals and the championship. Hey Nicky, that solution is simple. Go right to conference play at the start of the season instead of creampuffs like the 'Bama School for the Blind Girls team. That goes for the rest of you pretenders in and out of the confrences too!

A week isn't long enough for the whiney little bitch? Suck it up, nancy. Their next to last game was against Mercer College who is an FCS school and every year Alabama does that. They play a very weak school the week before Auburn and it's just sad. That would be like the Steelers playing Pitt.

• Like 1

Come on, some of you are being so silly right now that I am going to be forced to defend Alabama.

One has to go back to 2011 to find Bama opening play against a "creampuff" (that year it was Kent State).

First game opponents since then for Bama have been Michigan, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin, USC Trojans, and Florida State. 4 of those 6 opponents were ranked in the top 20 at the time (and 2 of those were in the top 10). Bama won every single one of those games, btw

One cannot reasonably claim that Saban has been scheduling creampuffs to open his seasons with.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

Not at all. Not a Clemson fan, unless they're playing Alabama. Just tired of the media and Alabama fans blathering on about how great the SEC is when the stats don't prove that. They have Alabama, a couple of teams that are usually pretty good, and then the rest of them which is just like almost every other conference in NCAA football. The only other team that gets as much cloyingly disgusting love from the media is Notre Dame.

In Bama's case, it is justified. Come on, Bama has won 4 National Championships in the past 8 years. And of course, Bama might make it 5 in 9 years (but I hope not, go Dawgs!)

SEC teams have won the NC 9 times in the past 12 years (counting this year, since either Georgia or Bama will win it). In other words, in the past 12 years, non-SEC schools have won the NC only 3 times as opposed to 9 for the SEC. In that time period, 4 different SEC schools won the NC (and it will be 5 different ones if Georgia wins this year)

SEC - 9 ACC -2 Big 10 - 1

With that kind of run with the National Championship, OF COURSE the SEC, and Bama in particular, has developed a tremendous reputation and one that is totally justified, being won on the field again and again. Don't like it? Well, complain to all the other conferences that have managed to win only 3 NC's in 12 years, combined. Tell them to get their friggin acts together instead of sucking so much.

No other conference comes even close to what the SEC has done over the past dozen years, not remotely close.

Btw, going back 20 years -- 5 different SEC schools have won the NC in the past 20 years. If Georgia wins the upcoming game, it will be 6 different teams. What other conference comes close to that sort of record in the modern era, not only in number of NC's won but also in the number of different schools from the conference winning them? Uh -- none.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of Alabama(or the Patriots for that matter) but I appreciate excellence and especially consistent excellence. No hater here. That is all...
  • Like 1

I am not a fan of Alabama(or the Patriots for that matter) but I appreciate excellence and especially consistent excellence. No hater here. That is all...

Hey Narps!

Get any snow in Myrtle Beach today?

Btw, that is how I feel about the Patriots as well. I have no love for them at all, and consistently pull against them. However, there comes a point when one has to acknowledge continued success on the field for what it is, instead of pretending otherwise just because you don't like it.

As for Saban and Bama -- hate them, love them, whatever -- the fact remains that at this point it is undeniable that Saban has established a powerhouse dynasty at Alabama. Pretending otherwise would just be silly.

Hey Narps!

Get any snow in Myrtle Beach today?

Btw, that is how I feel about the Patriots as well. I have no love for them at all, and consistently pull against them. However, there comes a point when one has to acknowledge continued success on the field for what it is, instead of pretending otherwise just because you don't like it.

As for Saban and Bama -- hate them, love them, whatever -- the fact remains that at this point it is undeniable that Saban has established a powerhouse dynasty at Alabama. Pretending otherwise would just be silly.

No snow as of yet but icicles hanging from everything. Staying put because I can lol...

In Bama's case, it is justified. Come on, Bama has won 4 National Championships in the past 8 years. And of course, Bama might make it 5 in 9 years (but I hope not, go Dawgs!)

SEC teams have won the NC 9 times in the past 12 years (counting this year, since either Georgia or Bama will win it). In other words, in the past 12 years, non-SEC schools have won the NC only 3 times as opposed to 9 for the SEC. In that time period, 4 different SEC schools won the NC (and it will be 5 different ones if Georgia wins this year)

With that kind of run with the National Championship, OF COURSE the SEC, and Bama in particular, has developed a tremendous reputation and one that is totally justified, being won on the field again and again. Don't like it? Well, complain to all the other conferences that have managed to win only 3 NC's in 12 years, combined. Tell them to get their friggin acts together instead of sucking so much.

No other conference comes even close to what the SEC has done over the past dozen years, not remotely close.

Btw, going back 20 years -- 5 different SEC schools have won the NC in the past 20 years. If Georgia wins the upcoming game, it will be 6 different teams. What other conference comes close to that sort of record in the modern era, not only in number of NC's won but also in the number of different schools from the conference winning them? Uh -- none.

Just because the SEC is top heavy now doesn't mean that we should forget the last 20 years. I think people forget about the five to seven teams that finish in the top 25 every single year. Alabama has earned the benefit of the doubt when being selected to the championship series.
  • Like 1

Just because the SEC is top heavy now doesn't mean that we should forget the last 20 years. I think people forget about the five to seven teams that finish in the top 25 every single year. Alabama has earned the benefit of the doubt when being selected to the championship series.

Since when is 20 years the "modern era"? That's just a randomly picked number to make the SEC look better than it's fans and the media make it out to be. A whole lot of "what have you don't for me lately"?

Since when is 20 years the "modern era"? That's just a randomly picked number to make the SEC look better than it's fans and the media make it out to be. A whole lot of "what have you don't for me lately"?

It's just the cycle that the SEC is either in or has possibly completed. Either way, you can't deny the dominance of the conference for the last two decades unless it's base on sour grapes.
  • Like 1

It's just the cycle that the SEC is either in or has possibly completed. Either way, you can't deny the dominance of the conference for the last two decades unless it's base on sour grapes.

Yep

There's no doubt they have some great teams in the SEC but they also have some shitty ones. Tennessee was 0-8 in the conference and 4-8 overall. Arkansas was 1-7 and 4-8. If all you want to go by is the national champion, then you should also look at the whole picture, and not just the last however many years.

There's no doubt they have some great teams in the SEC but they also have some shitty ones. Tennessee was 0-8 in the conference and 4-8 overall. Arkansas was 1-7 and 4-8. If all you want to go by is the national champion, then you should also look at the whole picture, and not just the last however many years.

I'm not going to base the SEC on one season when I'm staring in the face of a RECENT twenty year track record. Sure, the conference took a down year this year, and it may be the beginning of a trend. Until some sort of pattern is in place, to displace, a twenty year track record, I'll give the top SEC teams the benefit of the doubt. Now, if we have a three or four year trend with poor bowl performances by the conference, then I'll say the SEC has come down from its zenith.
  • Like 1

What team should have beat out Alabama for the last spot?

There's no doubt they have some great teams in the SEC but they also have some shitty ones. Tennessee was 0-8 in the conference and 4-8 overall. Arkansas was 1-7 and 4-8.

No doubt. I would be surprised if you found anybody who tried to argue otherwise. Every conference has shitty teams at the bottom of the conference cellar, every year. That fact does not separate the conferences.

What has separated the SEC from the other conferences is the number of SEC schools in a serious hunt for the NC, and also winning it, in recent history. Big 10 had Ohio State in the past dozen years. How far back does one have to go to find a Big 10 NC winner other than Ohio State? I am not going to look it up right now, but I think it might be around 30 years at least.

The Pac 12? USC Trojans had a "dynasty" in which they won a couple of NC's about 15 years ago or so. The media was so far up USC's and Pete Carroll's butts at that time that it was vomitous, more so than they are today regarding Saban and Bama. Other than USC, how far back do we have to go to find another Pac 12 school winner of the NC? Again, I am not going to look it up right now, but I am thinking, hmmm . . . 30 or 40 years?

I am going to wax nostalgic a bit now.

I was a member of this forum when the SEC started its run of 9 National Championships in the past 12 years.

I remember the thread about the first year of that run, when Florida started it by going on to win the National Championship against Ohio State.

I remember well the media attitudes at the time, some of which was shared by some posters here at that time. At that time, the Big 10 was widely perceived as the strongest conference. It was rather popular for many to claim that the SEC was a has-been, any days of football glory it had were in the past, and that real football was played elsewhere. That year, Ohio State and Michigan were widely proclaimed as the two best teams in the country. After their customary game, which Ohio State won by a close margin, many proclaimed that they should have a rematch for the NC game, being the two best teams in the country and all.

But, thankfully, the country was spared that rematch and SEC champion Florida was chosen instead. Florida was widely considered to be an underdog to be trodden beneath the feet of the supposed juggernaut of Ohio State that year. The rest was history. Florida proceeded to outplay Ohio State in every facet of the game, beating the crap out of them in most humiliating fashion.

Sure, the conference took a down year this year, and it may be the beginning of a trend.

How odd it is to be talking about a "down year" for the SEC when 2 SEC teams are all that is left from the entire field of competition to play for the National Championship.

That in itself shows how strong the SEC has been in recent football history.

• Like 1

Btw, final tallies for bowl games, prior to NC game between Alabama and Georgia:

Big 10 -- 7-1

Big 12 -- 5-3

SEC -- 4-5

ACC -- 4-6

Pac 12 - 1-8

Final game will obviously go 1-1 for SEC, making SEC post season record 5-6, with the National Championship.

Wisconsin or UCF. Bama got in by virtue of having a "by" in the conference championships. That shouldn't happen, in my view. I disagree with the idea that "the best four teams" should be selected. Rather, it should be four teams that earned their way in through the established path. You miss your championship, you've missed the feed into playoff. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

DSlaJ_dU8AEoUnD.jpg

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/why_do_you_care_if_ucf_claims.html

Crimson Tide fans should be the last ones to complain about Central Florida's bravado. It's become a favorite game of Alabama's rivals to poke fun at its history of counting national titles no matter how suspect any of those titles may be.

...Alabama doesn't claim a single national title among its 16 that some outside organization didn't bestow upon it. That includes the laughable 1941 title awarded by the Houlgate system despite that team's 9-2 record and third-place SEC finish.

Come to think of it, where did Alabama finish in the SEC this season? Third, behind SEC East champion Georgia and SEC West champ Auburn.

Edited by goose

Wisconsin or UCF. Bama got in by virtue of having a "by" in the conference championships. That shouldn't happen, in my view. I disagree with the idea that "the best four teams" should be selected. Rather, it should be four teams that earned their way in through the established path. You miss your championship, you've missed the feed into playoff.

Are you even paying attention to what you just wrote? It is self contradictory. Wisconsin? The team that lost in the Big 10 championship game to Ohio State? Wisconsin should have been selected over Ohio State? How is that consistent with your feed-in method?

As for UCF, nobody was seriously considering them for the playoff. The teams that were being debated for the 4th slot were Alabama and Ohio State, with a few also arguing for USC. I find it funny that you were claiming earlier in this thread that Alabama should not be considered because it had a supposedly weak schedule, but now turn around and claim UCF should have been selected. Have you even looked at that weaksauce schedule UCF played?