RIP, Jud Heathcote, 90, coached Magic in college

laughedatbytime

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Former-MSU-basketball-coach-Jud-Heathcote-dies-at-90-106611770

The Michigan State community lost a legend Monday when former basketball head coach Jud Heathcote died, the school announced.

Heathcote died at the age of 90 in his adopted home town of Spokane, Washington. The man who preceded current head coach Tom Izzo, Heathcote led the MSU program from 1976-95, coaching Magic Johnson and the Spartans to the National Championship in 1979.

"The basketball world is a sadder place today with the passing of Jud Heathcote," Izzo said in statement released by the school. "No one cared more about the welfare of the game than Jud. He was a coach's coach and a mentor to many. Our hearts are filled with sadness and deepest sympathy for his wife Beverly and the Heathcote family."

Izzo began working for Heathcote in 1983 and was eventually promoted to associate head coach before the 1990 season. When it came time to retire, Heathcote picked Izzo as his successor and went to bat for him when others in the athletic department weren't as sure about the move.

"Without a doubt, he was one of the most influential people in my life, giving me a chance when no one else would," Izzo said. "Any coaching success I've ever had is because of him. Long after he left Michigan State, he was still one of the first people I would call when I had a tough decision in coaching or life."

Heathcote's coaching career began at West Valley High School in Spokane, Wash. in 1950. He went on to become an assistant at Washington State after 14 years at the high school level and got his first college head coaching job at Montana in 1971. In five seasons, he led the Grizzlies to two Big Sky titles before getting hired by then-Michigan State athletic director Joseph Kearney.

After a tough debut season, Heathcote brought in a freshman class that included Jay Vincent and Earvin "Magic" Johnson. After winning the Big Ten and making it to the Elite Eight in his second season, Heathcote guided the Spartans to their first National Championship.

Michigan State won the Big Ten again in 1990 and made a total of nine NCAA Tournament appearances in Heathcote's 19 seasons. He was named Big Ten Coach of the Year twice (1978, 1986) and was the NABC Coach of the Year in 1990.

Always willing to lend a hand to other coaches, Heathcote moved back to Spokane and became an adviser of sorts for Gonzaga head coach Mark Few. And along with Izzo, Heathcote's coaching tree includes Tom Crean, Brian Gregory, Mike Montgomery and others.

Thanks to Heathcote's longevity and his choice in handing the program to Izzo, the Spartans have had just two coaches in charge the last 41 years and he'll go down as one of the all-time greats in MSU history.

"Michigan State has lost one of its icons today," Izzo said. "And yet, nothing can erase his impact on the program, the players he coached and the coaches he mentored. Spartan basketball is what it is today because of Jud Heathcote."