Steven Wilson Confirmed End of Hiatus, Porcupine Tree is dead. :(

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1412 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

This thread got me searching for an article;  didn't find it - but did find this:

http://www.songfacts...porcupine_tree/

Songfacts: How do you compare the songwriting process of your solo work to Porcupine Tree?

Steven: It's not different. All the Porcupine Tree songs started off as solo songs - me writing everything, demoing everything. It's just a different band that's recording them, that's all.

also, an interesting tidbit that I didn't recall.  If the Deadwing film was made, the soundtrack would have been a solo album - including several PT songs and some recorded after (I wonder which?).

Songfacts: "Arriving Somewhere but Not Here"?

Steven: That was based on a film script. There was a film script I wrote with a very good friend of mine named Mike Bennion who was making commercials, and he wanted to make a feature film. About 12 years ago, we sat down together to try and write something for him that he could direct as a first feature. I would describe it as a surrealist ghost story. I don't want to say too much more about it, because one day, I hope we might make it still.

But it was a surrealist ghost story, and the song "Arriving Somewhere but Not Here," well the title said it - it was about this idea of arriving at a point in your life that you never intended to arrive at, and I suppose having some perspective about that.

It was one of a bunch of songs I wrote for what would have been the film soundtrack, and it would have actually been my first solo record if it had happened. Because it was going to be the soundtrack to this movie that we never managed to get the financing for, unfortunately. But I wrote a bunch of songs that were all relating to the characters in this movie. "Lazarus" was another one. Some of them ended up being recorded by my band at the time, Porcupine Tree, and some of them I have recorded since in my solo career. But this whole group of songs were related to these characters in the movie script. It's difficult for me to talk about them too much without giving away the whole plot, but I can tell you that it was a story of this mother coming back from beyond the grave as a ghost to reclaim her son.

Sponsored Post

#42 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10469 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

Steven : It's not different. All the Porcupine Tree songs started off as solo songs - me writing everything, demoing everything. It's just a different band that's recording them, that's all.

Exactly.

#43 The K Man

The K Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 August 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

View PostThe K Man, on 29 August 2017 - 10:11 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 29 August 2017 - 03:38 AM, said:

I think half the new record is amazing and prog.  The other half is shit pop techno.  

Um, what?  Please unpack this with specifics and tell me which songs are "pop techno."

Shit dude, I've been doing my audio homework over the last few days!

I've heard it three times now.  I can't lay down specifics right now.

There are some song that are just sooooo pop techno.

I am sure you are an intellectual.  Most on here are.  Except for loud mouth idiot me!!!

I know nothing about music.

This album is like "Half The World" by RUSH.  Half sucks.  Half is brilliant.

Sarcasm aside, there isn't a single song on this record that is "pop techno."  Saying otherwise is just inaccurate and gives the wrong idea to someone who hasn't heard the album yet and might want to check it out.

#44 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30049 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

View PostThe K Man, on 30 August 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

I think half the new record is amazing and prog.  The other half is shit pop techno.  

Um, what?  Please unpack this with specifics and tell me which songs are "pop techno."

I am sure you are an intellectual.  Most on here are.  Except for loud mouth idiot me!!!

Sarcasm aside, there isn't a single song on this record that is "pop techno."  Saying otherwise is just inaccurate and gives the wrong idea to someone who hasn't heard the album yet and might want to check it out.

I beg to differ, alas I must have hearing damage from playing to Rush albums for 35 years.

There are a few shitty songs on this record.  Drum machine, disco, techno pop.

Good for Steven for trying to write a hit song in 2017.  I am sure he wants to outsell KESHA or KATY PERRY!

Are you kidding me?

Hey?  To each their own!

I like most of the new record but here are a few shitty pop techno disco songs on the record.

Most of the record is "GOOD."

But some is.....

Oh yeah.... sarcasm and puns....  I live for this moment......

BAD "TO THE BONE!"

Love,

George Thorogood And The Destroyers

I'm just a rock and roll critic with no power at all.

Everyone had their own "Freewill" to decide what they want to hear.

Yes, I am an opinionated jerk with music.
It's my true passion in life next to drumming.

I never made it, but I still drum daily.

I played "Hemispheres" and "A Farewell To Kings" today back to back in that order.

It made me feel so good and happy.

Some days are better than others. It's life.  We all have our our shit and happiness to have.

I take Steven Wilson very serious as an artist, as for my 49 year young brain there really isn't that much left that excites me.

"To The Bone" is mediocre with some good shit weaved throughout.

Maybe my opinion will change with more listens.

You know I love to jump the gun.
You know I love to jump the shark.
You know I love to be that "Double Agent"
You know I love Ozzy's "Shot In The Dark."

I love a very good debate or argument, especially over music.
We all will never agree but I love most forum members on here.
Even when I'm a dick I meet a good friend through a silly "Misunderstanding!"

All good K!

Love,

GENESIS

#45 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30049 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

View PostPresto-digitation, on 30 August 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

Steven : It's not different. All the Porcupine Tree songs started off as solo songs - me writing everything, demoing everything. It's just a different band that's recording them, that's all.

Exactly.

Absolutely Presto!

It's all about Steven Wilson.  Hence Ghost is all about Tobias Forge.  Humans can hate whatever they want about the Forge Canon and the Wilson Canon.

I happen to LOVE IT ALL!

Well except for a few pop songs on "To The Bone."

"Roll The Bones" bitches!

That rap part will always suck!

But that song is better than anything on "Vapor Trails!" LOL!

Signed,

"GHOST WRITER"

This isn't Rushhead typing.  It's my ex wife Wendy!  I really do love RUSH!  Earl took me to over 25 shows during our marriage!  I am not a hobo!  I am a drifter.  "Here I Go Again!"  Coverdale changed those lyrics!  Remember Pat?

Haha!

This is for Tree Duck!

I hope he reads this!

I am sure many of you think I'm insane but it's really just an inside joke between Pat and I.

I love that Whitesnake Wanker!

Love you too Presto!

#46 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

I was slow to get into SW's solo stuff as well, but since Raven especially I've grown to like it as much as most PT material.

And as was pointed out, SW *was* PT.  That's common knowledge for even casual PT fans.

You can hear this in his solo material, many moments that echo prior PT albums and/or songs.  There's quite a few of these moments on 4 1/2 and TtB.

Never say never about PT, just because SW is having success now doesn't mean he won't suddenly get the urge to do work as the band again.  Just look at how quickly the direction changed on TtB.  He goes where the mood takes him.  What I don't find promising for PT's future is how abruptly it ended and how certain it has seemed all along that there would be no Phase 3 (unless you consider SW's solo work Phase 3).  The way it ended stinks of turbulence within the band, and I suspect they're being professionals by not dragging the legacy of PT through those muddy waters publicly.  A gentlemen's agreement to let go and move on.  SW has definitely made the most of his post-PT career, but certainly Gavin has gained traction as a result of his time with PT [who knew of him prior to joining PT?] landing him the role in the elite and active touring prog gods King Crimson.  That's not such a bad gig!  ;)

Edited by stoopid, 31 August 2017 - 06:16 AM.

#47 The K Man

The K Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 30 August 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

I beg to differ, alas I must have hearing damage from playing to Rush albums for 35 years.

Good for Steven for trying to write a hit song in 2017.  I am sure he wants to outsell KESHA or KATY PERRY!

Are you kidding me?

Hey?  To each their own!

I like most of the new record but here are a few shitty pop techno disco songs on the record.

But some is.....

BAD "TO THE BONE!"

Love,

I played "Hemispheres" and "A Farewell To Kings" today back to back in that order.

Some days are better than others. It's life.  We all have our our shit and happiness to have.

I take Steven Wilson very serious as an artist, as for my 49 year young brain there really isn't that much left that excites me.

All good K!

Love,

GENESIS

Long-winded diatribes aside, you still cannot name what songs on the album are techno pop...because there aren't any!

#48 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2230 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

View Postcygnify, on 30 August 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Steven wrote upwards of 90% of all PT's music - by In Absentia, he would come in with complete demos and the others would put their own personality into playing what was on the demo.  PT was most certainly Steven's vision filtered through the varied tastes and skills of the others.  IMHO, things had dropped off significantly with The Incident - the vortex of album/tour cycle, perhaps, but I sense Steven wasn't all that enthused with the semi-collaborative work from disc 2 of that album (some good stuff, but clearly Steven's vision was Disc 1) and definitely not with the tour.  With Grace for Drowning, I really missed PT(liked it, but not as much as PT.)  Now, I love SW solo work and prefer it in certain ways - at least to the point of being ok with no future PT.

This does not come as a surprise to me, as Steven has said similar things in recent years and to quote a discussion I had with John Wesley about possible PT work a few years back: "don't hold your breath."

When I saw him on his last tour (HCE Tour) it was clear to me PT was over. I have loved his solo work beginning with The Raven That Could Not Sing thru To The Bone. I was not a big fan of Insurgents at all. Grace For Drowning has some great songs but was uneven. But the last three albums Steve has found his wheelhouse again.

I love it. I hope and pray he comes to Florida again for the To The Bone Tour. I will travel anywhere in the state to see him again.

#49 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 100480 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

View Postcygnify, on 30 August 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

This thread got me searching for an article;  didn't find it - but did find this:

http://www.songfacts...porcupine_tree/

Songfacts: How do you compare the songwriting process of your solo work to Porcupine Tree?

Steven: It's not different. All the Porcupine Tree songs started off as solo songs - me writing everything, demoing everything. It's just a different band that's recording them, that's all.

Exactly.

He's still the songwriter, yes. I hope this isn't to suggest that there isn't a notable difference between PT and SW which is largely due to the line-up changes :D

#50 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2469 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

Exactly.

Your move, Polarize.

#51 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18452 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

View Postfraroc, on 01 September 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Exactly.

Your move, Polarize.
Fair point, and SW's right. But make no mistake, the band he convened for PT (Colin Edwin, Richard Barbieri, Gavin Harrison, Chris Maitland and John Wesley) added their spices to his songs and have such distinct playing styles that sonically and feel wise is different than post-PT SW. That is different from the quality of the song writing cause I'd say in that regard, Hand.Cannot.Erase is his greatest success. The closest PT sounding solo album is Insurgentes and a lot of that had to do with Gavin being the drummer on the album.

Now here's your move: what PT/SW albums have you listened to so far? I'm curious to know cause it seems you judge based on one song: case in point (if Union is to believe and I believe him)  Devin Townsend with March Of The Poozers.

Edited by PolarizeMe, 01 September 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#52 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15856 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 01 September 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Exactly.

Your move, Polarize.
Fair point, and SW's right. But make no mistake, the band he convened for PT (Colin Edwin, Richard Barbieri, Gavin Harrison, Chris Maitland and John Wesley) added their spices to his songs and have such distinct playing styles that sonically and feel wise is different than post-PT SW. That is different from the quality of the song writing cause I'd say in that regard, Hand.Cannot.Erase is his greatest success. The closest PT sounding solo album is Insurgentes and a lot of that had to do with Gavin being the drummer on the album.

Now here's your move: what PT/SW albums have you listened to so far? I'm curious to know I want to know if you're legit.

this is the guy who didn't listen to half of rush's output........so this should be interesting right.

Mick

#53 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18452 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 01 September 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

Exactly.

Your move, Polarize.

Now here's your move: what PT/SW albums have you listened to so far? I'm curious to know I want to know if you're legit.

this is the guy who didn't listen to half of rush's output........so this should be interesting right.

Mick
Honestly, I've subsided on this "fight" with fraroc and honestly I'm tired of it. Granted I came across as a c*** and probably did me no good but I had to try to justify why I think he's not in a position to talk unless he's heard a substantial amount of Steven Wilson's music and by that, I mean at least 3 PT and solo albums.

The main difference between PT and his solo work is that he and the rest of PT made compromises in the kind of music they wanted to make (it's amazing they lasted as long as they did in hindsight) as PT whereas with his solo work he's got full reigns of what he wants and gets the right people to help him realize it. Since Richard hates jazz, and the other two (Gavin and Colin) have their other projects (namely King Crimson for Gavin), they're out of the equation and thus no more PT.

And for the record so fraroc can READ this, I've welcomed his solo career since the beginning (way before he even joined this forum) and I've been on record as saying that his solo career produced three (Insurgentes, Raven and H.C.E.) of his best albums period, including his work in PT, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion, I.E.M., and Storm Corrosion. Just because I didn't like To The Bone as much as the other four before it shouldn't be the end all be all as far as what I think of his solo career.

Edited by PolarizeMe, 01 September 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#54 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 100480 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

When I first listened through To The Bone, I thought to myself, "wow, Gutherie got totally downplayed on this album as opposed to Raven / HCE". When the album was officially released I looked at the credits, lo and behold Gutherie wasn't anywhere to be seen. His absence is palpable.

So, it's no wonder that this logic extends to switching from a long-time line-up to a completely different one, if one at all. Add that to the fact that Steven went from staying within just a couple genres (in Porcupine Tree), slowly moving (psychedelic prog rock to prog metal), and then as a solo artist into complete creative freedom, hitting shoegaze, pop, ambient, jazz rock, he dipped into industrial, etc.

Steven songwrites, but he doesn't compose in PT/SW (if anyone knows of any exceptions, I'd be happy to know of them). There's a monstrous difference between simply songwriting and composing a song. In the latter situation the songwriter has complete control while in the former the songwriter sets the foundation and then, in a group, the song is finished. This is why Don't Hate Me is a masterpiece thanks to Colin's bridge:

fraroc doesn't know what the f**k I'm talking about right now, naturally :)

Edited by Mr. Not, 01 September 2017 - 08:28 PM.

#55 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30049 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

View PostThe K Man, on 31 August 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

Are you kidding me?

Hey?  To each their own!

But some is.....

BAD "TO THE BONE!"

Love,

All good K!

Love,

GENESIS

Long-winded diatribes aside, you still cannot name what songs on the album are techno pop...because there aren't any!

I absolutely can name one track on "To The Bone" that is completely pop techno.  Without the long winded typing!

"PERMANATING"

Did Steven completely rip off Daft Punk?

Give me a break!  Song sucks turkey balls.

#56 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 01 September 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

Are you kidding me?

Hey?  To each their own!

But some is.....

BAD "TO THE BONE!"

Love,

All good K!

Love,

GENESIS

I absolutely can name one track on "To The Bone" that is completely pop techno.  Without the long winded typing!

"PERMANATING"

:lol: Love you Earl.  I tried to like it I really did but come on...now where's that Voulez-Vous album hiding :banana:

#57 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30049 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostSteevo, on 02 September 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 01 September 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

Are you kidding me?

Hey?  To each their own!

But some is.....

BAD "TO THE BONE!"

Love,

All good K!

Love,

GENESIS

"PERMANATING"

:lol: Love you Earl.  I tried to like it I really did but come on...now where's that Voulez-Vous album hiding :banana:

HAHAHA!  Love you too Steve!  Great call on the Epic ABBA album!  LOVE IT!

Steven Wilson is trying to hard.  He's like RUSH without testicles.

#58 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2469 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

Exactly.

Your move, Polarize.

Now here's your move: what PT/SW albums have you listened to so far? I'm curious to know cause it seems you judge based on one song: case in point (if Union is to believe and I believe him)  Devin Townsend with March Of The Poozers.

I've listened to more Devin Townsend than just that one song. I know that I do enjoy his solo stuff a lot more than SYL.

A lot of SYL's music just seems very weird and arythmic, almost verging on grindcore. DTP is a little more melodic, more like a Dio or an Iron Maiden sound, which I like better than most "extreme metal".

#59 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18452 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:46 AM

View Postfraroc, on 02 September 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

Exactly.

Your move, Polarize.

I've listened to more Devin Townsend than just that one song. I know that I do enjoy his solo stuff a lot more than SYL.

A lot of SYL's music just seems very weird and arythmic, almost verging on grindcore. DTP is a little more melodic, more like a Dio or an Iron Maiden sound, which I like better than most "extreme metal".
Still haven't answered my question of "Which PT and/or SW albums you've listened to so far?" :eyeroll:

Edited by PolarizeMe, 03 September 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#60 HemispheresserehpsimeH

HemispheresserehpsimeH

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Just as a side note: it actually blows me away that Wilson has now released five solo albums. I know he releases albums like clockwork, but it feels like The Incident/Insurgentes just came out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users