It's a tragic day in America...Chuck E. Cheese’s getting rid of iconic animatronic band

laughedatbytime

Chuck E. Cheese's is reportedly phasing out their singing animatronic band.

The restaurant chain has announced that they will be renovating all of their locations across the country. As part of the sleek new design, they will be removing the beloved, and somewhat "creepy," animatronics in attempt to modernize.

The robotic characters were once the center of many childhood birthday parties, but today are considered outdated, as many children are now growing up with more advanced media and entertainment.

According to a CBS News, CEC Chief Executive Tom Leverton said, "The kids stopped looking at the animatronics years and years ago, and they would wait for the live Chuck E. to come out."

While the animatronic fanbase said they will miss the iconic band of characters, many also admitted the animatronics were seriously scary.

(A bunch of tweets that don't copy well are included in the article here.)

Chuck E. Cheese's will start off by replacing the animatronics from a few locations with a dance floor where a costumed character will come out to dance with kids.

http://wgntv.com/2017/08/21/chuck-e-cheeses-getting-rid-of-iconic-animatronic-band/

The story also includes video of the beloved characters....

• Like 1

Well, that's stupid. It's not Chuck E Cheese without the band.

Awww, come on. The horrible food and filthy environment don't account for anything?
  • Like 8

Not stupid. Smart.

I doubt kids today want to see those old animatronics. Hell, I didn't really want to see it even when I was 10 back in '82. I just wanted pizza and to play the games. If anything, they could/should keep a couple of the animatronics in the restaurant itself simply as decoration OR to "come alive" and announce when the live performer (the actor in the suit) is about to hit the stage.

Disney can get away with old animatronics for certain attractions but they updated and added to their parks ages ago.

• Like 1

Awww, come on. The horrible food and filthy environment don't account for anything?

And that's another thing, why were those places usually below average or worse in cleanliness? The best I've seen was ONLY "passable".

• Like 1

More on America's favorite animatronic character, from Wikifur. In case you were wondering, and I'm sure you were, the E in his middle name stands for Entertainment

Chuck E. Cheese (The E stands for "Entertainment":[citation needed] "Born" in New Jersey, USA),[citation needed] is the anthropomorphic mouse mascot of a chain of family entertainment centers of the same name.

Although Chuck E. Cheese is currently an anthropomorphic mouse, he was originally a rat before a 1995 facelift.[citation needed] As a rat, the mascot costume used to have a tail, but it was phased out back in the early 1990s due to children constantly wanting to yank and pull it.[citation needed] Chuck E. has been voiced by John Widlock (1977- 1984), Scott Wilson (1984-1993), Jeremy Blaido (1998), Duncan Brannan (1994 - 2012) and, most recently, Jaret Reddick, the lead singer of Bowling for Soup.[1]

Pizza Time Theater era[edit]

Chuck E. was originally displayed at Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre, a restaurant founded by Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari)[citation needed] in 1977. An animatronic Chuck E. would perform music and shows in picture frames overhead while the customers enjoyed pizza and games.

As more restaurants opened, the amount of animatronics was expanded and the "Pizza Time Players" were formed. This group featured Chuck E. Cheese, Mr. Munch, Jasper T. Jowls, Pasqually, Helen Henny, The Warblettes, and many other characters, most of which have been retired. In the later restaurants, cabaret shows in separate rooms were created, featuring Dolli Dimples, a blues singing hippo, Artie Antlers, The King (who sang Elvis Presley tunes), The Beagles (Beatles) and The Beach Bowsers (Beach Boys).

Showbiz Pizza era[edit]

After the the acquisition by Showbiz Pizza Inc and subsequent concept unification, the Rock-a-fire Explosion (the animatronic band of Showbiz Pizza) was turned into Chuck E. Cheese characters.

The current incarnation of the characters is called Munch's Make Believe Band, and includes Chuck E. Cheese, Helen Henny, Mr. Munch, Jasper T. Jowls, and Pasqually. In some restaurants a full animatronic band can be seen, either on one stage or two stages.

The bands that used to be Rock-A-Fire animatronics (prior to concept unification) are known as three stage shows,[clarify] but in newer restaurants (or ones that have undergone remodeling) a single Chuck E. Cheese animatronic stage is seen with the other band members in puppet form displayed on a TV screen. This is known as the Studio C Stage, and it is manufactured by Garner Holt Productions. [2]

During customer's birthday parties, Chuck E. Cheese will do come out on the floor and perform a birthday show along with the other employees known as "cast members." In recent promotions, the Chuck E. mascot would come on the floor with a manager and give free tickets away to children.

http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Chuck_E._Cheese

More on America's favorite animatronic character, from Wikifur. In case you were wondering, and I'm sure you were, the E in his middle name stands for Entertainment

Chuck E. Cheese (The E stands for "Entertainment":[citation needed] "Born" in New Jersey, USA),[citation needed] is the anthropomorphic mouse mascot of a chain of family entertainment centers of the same name.

Although Chuck E. Cheese is currently an anthropomorphic mouse, he was originally a rat before a 1995 facelift.[citation needed] As a rat, the mascot costume used to have a tail, but it was phased out back in the early 1990s due to children constantly wanting to yank and pull it.[citation needed] Chuck E. has been voiced by John Widlock (1977- 1984), Scott Wilson (1984-1993), Jeremy Blaido (1998), Duncan Brannan (1994 - 2012) and, most recently, Jaret Reddick, the lead singer of Bowling for Soup.[1]

Pizza Time Theater era[edit]

Chuck E. was originally displayed at Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre, a restaurant founded by Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari)[citation needed] in 1977. An animatronic Chuck E. would perform music and shows in picture frames overhead while the customers enjoyed pizza and games.

As more restaurants opened, the amount of animatronics was expanded and the "Pizza Time Players" were formed. This group featured Chuck E. Cheese, Mr. Munch, Jasper T. Jowls, Pasqually, Helen Henny, The Warblettes, and many other characters, most of which have been retired. In the later restaurants, cabaret shows in separate rooms were created, featuring Dolli Dimples, a blues singing hippo, Artie Antlers, The King (who sang Elvis Presley tunes), The Beagles (Beatles) and The Beach Bowsers (Beach Boys).

Showbiz Pizza era[edit]

After the the acquisition by Showbiz Pizza Inc and subsequent concept unification, the Rock-a-fire Explosion (the animatronic band of Showbiz Pizza) was turned into Chuck E. Cheese characters.

The current incarnation of the characters is called Munch's Make Believe Band, and includes Chuck E. Cheese, Helen Henny, Mr. Munch, Jasper T. Jowls, and Pasqually. In some restaurants a full animatronic band can be seen, either on one stage or two stages.

The bands that used to be Rock-A-Fire animatronics (prior to concept unification) are known as three stage shows,[clarify] but in newer restaurants (or ones that have undergone remodeling) a single Chuck E. Cheese animatronic stage is seen with the other band members in puppet form displayed on a TV screen. This is known as the Studio C Stage, and it is manufactured by Garner Holt Productions. [2]

During customer's birthday parties, Chuck E. Cheese will do come out on the floor and perform a birthday show along with the other employees known as "cast members." In recent promotions, the Chuck E. mascot would come on the floor with a manager and give free tickets away to children.

http://en.wikifur.co...Chuck_E._Cheese

I didn't know CEC was from New Jersey. This means that in the pantheon of New Jersey artists, CEC slides in just behind Trixter, and just ahead of Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen.

• Like 1

There's not one nearby, which is ok with me. (Kids here have a local laser tag/arcade place that's ear splitting loud!) The one time we took my kids to Chuck E. Cheese in Pittsburgh, my son's shoes were stolen! Not a real fond memory! :LOL:

My youngest is 10 so I've made my last trip there. I'd rather have them disinfect the place more often than worry about the band. Place always felt filthy to me.

Because it was.
  • Like 2

On the contrary, I knew Chuck E. Cheese BEFORE the band existed. I had experienced 'Animatronics in 1973 at Disney World. Chuck E.s will survive for a while yet, until Virtual gaming is in every household. or until Chuck E's IN LOVE...http://i.imgur.com/KXs6odg.jpg.

http://i.imgur.com/XjXRYzX.gif?1

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 3

Not stupid. Smart.

I doubt kids today want to see those old animatronics. Hell, I didn't really want to see it even when I was 10 back in '82. I just wanted pizza and to play the games. If anything, they could/should keep a couple of the animatronics in the restaurant itself simply as decoration OR to "come alive" and announce when the live performer (the actor in the suit) is about to hit the stage.

Disney can get away with old animatronics for certain attractions but they updated and added to their parks ages ago.

I was so enamored with the video games back then, I'd completely forgotten about the band and animatronics until it was mentioned!

• Like 2

Not stupid. Smart.

I haven't been there since 1977....

http://i.imgur.com/HohnDUl.gif?1

My youngest is 10 so I've made my last trip there. I'd rather have them disinfect the place more often than worry about the band. Place always felt filthy to me.

Because it was.

so there's a little diarrhea in the ball pit...no big deal right?
  • Like 1

Not stupid. Smart.

They need to add a Chester the molester clown to give the kids new nightmares.

Hey kids check out my cargo van...free candy if you jump inside!

Anyone seen my lost puppy???

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

On the contrary, I knew Chuck E. Cheese BEFORE the band existed. I had experienced 'Animatronics in 1973 at Disney World. Chuck E.s will survive for a while yet, until Virtual gaming is in every household. or until Chuck E's IN LOVE...http://i.imgur.com/KXs6odg.jpg.

http://i.imgur.com/XjXRYzX.gif?1

:ebert:
  • Like 1

Not stupid. Smart.

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/scary_clown.jpg?quality=100&w=650

• Like 3

Not stupid. Smart.

perfect....he's hired.

and kids, if you don't behave, chester will follow you home.

that guy looks like a hangover from an ICP concert.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Not stupid. Smart.

perfect....he's hired.

and kids, if you don't behave, chester will follow you home.

that guy looks like a hangover from an ICP concert.

And now I just remembered --- what happened with all those scary clown sightings in the USA & Europe from a year or so ago?