Haunting that wilderness road

Like a ghost rider

Just an escape artist

Racing against the night

A wandering hermit

Racing toward the light

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

A powerful song, for sure. I love that I got to see it live.

When did you see it? During the VT tour? Where?

Song is more powerful in concert than on the album.

Too bad they never did it again after that tour, but I understand why. I think Geddy wanted to, but Neil couldn't bring himself to do it. Can't blame him. Those lyrics probably rip him apart inside to this day.

• Like 1

I got to see it in Portland at the Rose Garden. They were alternating it with Ceiling Unlimited, which I saw performed at the Gorge a couple of days earlier. CU was not good live. Ghost Rider was sublime.
  • Like 1

I got to see it in Portland at the Rose Garden. They were alternating it with Ceiling Unlimited, which I saw performed at the Gorge a couple of days earlier. CU was not good live. Ghost Rider was sublime.

I love the intro and Alex's guitar. That alone is enough to make my eyes tear up.

• Like 1

to bad it wasn't part of the r40 setlist. That song symbolizes what Neil went through at the time. Then again, he probably preferred moving on and putting that song to bed.
  • Like 2

One of the 3 best songs on Vapor Trails, but I actually don't care that much for the lyrics. It's more about the music and melody for me. The lyrics are okay, but I like Neil's more socially conscious lyrics that really touch upon important societal topics. These are personal, which is fine, and I certainly feel for Neil and the tragedy that he endured, but they don't touch me and my life experiences as much of his other lyrics. Great song though!
  • Like 1

One of the 3 best songs on Vapor Trails, but I actually don't care that much for the lyrics. It's more about the music and melody for me. The lyrics are okay, but I like Neil's more socially conscious lyrics that really touch upon important societal topics. These are personal, which is fine, and I certainly feel for Neil and the tragedy that he endured, but they don't touch me and my life experiences as much of his other lyrics. Great song though!

I agree about the music and melody. The lyrics just add more to the song for me. I can somewhat relate to them.

I probably put this tune on every time a solar eclipse occurs. I guess i'll give it a spin tonight.
  • Like 1

Ghost Rider...

This whole album (Vapor Trails) is really powerful for me. A very close friend of mine (HUGE Rush fan) was dealing with an aggressive brain tumor...and VT came out when he came out of remission. He was gone several months later, but not before he saw Rush two final times... we went to his last show together (Irvine). The whole record reminds me of him. Bless you Tom Shannon.

and now, it occurs to me that Ghost Rider also reminds me of the road I have traveled over the past several years... metaphoric loss, as opposed to actual death. Death of relationship, death of old life while a new life is becoming real.

Shadows on the road behind

Shadows on the road ahead

Nothing can stop you now

Sunrise in the mirror

Lightens that invisible load

Riding on a nameless quest

Haunting that wilderness road

Like a ghost rider

Hearing it live in Irvine that year was wonderful.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 5