How many vacation / sick days do You have at work.!?

Saint NIck

Being at the same job for 22 years has earned me 4 weeks of vacation time a year; we're given 5 sick days a year,I've accumulated 45 sick days = I'm maxed out on earning sick time. I'm the only driver, though my boss & another co-worker could make deliveries if they absolutely, positively had to; though it'd be like an act of congress. They couldn't keep the pace I do. Are there times when you need some time off. Except for vacation days that are already scheduled, haven't taken any sick days. Friends, I'm just so tired.! Edited by Saint NIck
  • Like 1

Being at the same job for 22 years has earned me 4 weeks of vacation time a year; we're given 5 sick days a year,I've accumulated 45 sick days = I'm maxed out on earning sick time. I'm the only driver, though my boss & another co-worker could make deliveries if they absolutely, positively had to; though it'd be like an act of congress. They couldn't keep the pace I do. Are there times when you need some time off. Except for vacation days that are already scheduled, haven't taken any sick days. Friends, I'm just so tired.!

Been there, Done that. Ford Motor Company was pretty much like that, but there were days you could, [after the fact] cover if unpaid. You have to settle it with your significant other, that you need REST. Then you have to REALLY REST! It's mandatory if you really mean it!

http://i.imgur.com/mzi08dJ.gif

I earn 288 hours of vacation and holiday hours per year. I can bank 324 hours without losing any at audit time. I'm just a bit over that banked time at the moment, but the holidays are coming. I earn 96 hours of sick time per year with unlimited banking of sick time. I will get a 25% buyout at retirement. I'm at just under 1000 hours of sick time banked.
  • Like 1

I get 10 vacation days per year, and a slightly above average amount of paid holidays. Last month my boss made the incredibly unpopular decision of doing away with sick days. So now you either pick to use vacation, or go unpaid.

To counter that, I am going to have a discussion with my boss, and ask for a third paid week off a year, since I have to use vacation for sick....

he might lose employees over that decision--this is a professional organization, not McDonalds.

I get 10 vacation days per year, and a slightly above average amount of paid holidays. Last month my boss made the incredibly unpopular decision of doing away with sick days. So now you either pick to use vacation, or go unpaid.

To counter that, I am going to have a discussion with my boss, and ask for a third paid week off a year, since I have to use vacation for sick....

he might lose employees over that decision--this is a professional organization, not McDonalds.

I thought sick pay was a Federal Law now.

From the DOL website:

Currently, there are no federal legal requirements for paid sick leave.

• Like 2

In Denmark you take a certain percentage of your monthly salary and put that aside for vacation. Whatever the amount is determines the length of your vacation, but for a full time job I think you get about a months leave.

Sick days are different. You get sick leave from the wellfare office. If you can prove that you're sick (note from the doctor) the company is not allowed to fire you for 180 days.

A lot of this is just from what I can remember on top of my head. I never had to use it like that. It's the Flexicurity Model.

Nope...the job I just quit a few months ago had no policy for sick days. I was there for thirteen years.

Edited by Blue J

From the DOL website:

Currently, there are no federal legal requirements for paid sick leave.

Ok. It must just be Massachusetts then.

I have been with my company for 10 years and I get 20 days a year of PTO and 5 sick days. Some of the sick days carry over year to year and I never use them and I don't remember how many you can carry but I am pretty sure I am maxed. It's like 2 to 3 weeks worth.

Next year I will start accumulating an additional day every year for the next 5 years so that I will have 25 days a year PTO by my 15 year anniversary.

• Like 1

I have been with my company for 10 years and I get 20 days a year of PTO and 5 sick days. Some of the sick days carry over year to year and I never use them and I don't remember how many you can carry but I am pretty sure I am maxed. It's like 2 to 3 weeks worth.

Next year I will start accumulating an additional day every year for the next 5 years so that I will have 25 days a year PTO by my 15 year anniversary.

That's very good.

I just started a new job three months ago, and I think their PTO benefits are very good, too.

25 days holiday per year and 8 bank/national holidays. We don't accumulate sick days, if we are sick we just take time off which can come from our holiday allowance if we want. Depending on your level within a company you might get full paid sick otherwise it is just statutory sick pay.

That's very good.

I just started a new job three months ago, and I think their PTO benefits are very good, too.

I lied. I forgot about my anniversary day. I get to take a day every year as a reward for the anniversary of my start date and my boss doesn't care when I take to so it is essentially just another PTO day.

I refer to myself as a lifelong "gubmint hack", been with Uncle (Sam) for 30 years and change.

For us, when you hit the 15 year mark, you get 8 hours annual leave and four hours sick leave per pay period of two weeks. Sick leave can accrue to an unlimited level, but annual time cannot exceed 240 hours at the end of the last period of the pay year. The excess amount is known as " use or lose". I never lose-Jeez Louise I've had years when I've taken the two week periods after Christmas off. Damn, now that's a Benny for ya!

Currently I'm at 220 hours annual and 360 hours sick leave. I'll be taking two weeks annual in September, and by the end of the year I'll probably have a week to use.

Ah, but later in January comes the everlasting, permanent vacation!

• Like 1

I honestly don't even know. I just moved to another city at the end of November and started a new jobs 2 weeks later.

When I retired I had accrued over 200 unused sick days. :)

My dad had over a year and a half's worth. Made for a nice retirement bonus.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

I get 5 weeks of "annual leave", and should get another week after 25 years of service (3 months away).

We get one day of sick leave every month, but are unable to carry them over into a new fiscal year, although we do have medical etc benefits.

It's a good job in a poorly run department that, as a proud owner of a high-school diploma, I'm incredibly lucky to have.

It's also stressful, populated with lazy co-workers and infrastructure that never quite works.

And we're blessed with a wonderful new pay system that has done little other than malfunction.

Work sux, but that's why they call it "work" and not "super fun happy smile time".

• Like 1