close call

HemiBeers

so my wife flies out nearly every week for her job and flies back on friday. Yesterday, I was waiting for her flight to land after work in Kalamazoo and I get this text from her:

"flying back to detroit for crash landing-love you"

ohhhhhhhhh f**k. So I go inside the terminal and try to get some information from the gate agent and they tell me there's plane issues and they're working through the protocol. I'm calm on the outside but a little freaked out on the inside. Then I get the next message "landing gear problem-will try to land in Kalamazoo". Yeeeesh....now I get to watch my wife's plane skid down the runway and/or flip and burn. Then the next message "going to lansing to land". Lansing is 70 miles away. Apparently the runway in Lansing is 2000 feet longer. So I figure hanging at the airport is worthless and I go home and try to catch some local news about this. Nothing of course. Then I get her panicked phone call...landed ok.

Here's the kicker...after they landed they sat on the tarmac for a half hour with a fire truck next to them. They would considering putting a pin to lock the landing gear in place and then taking off again for kalamazoo. I'm amazed that there wouldn't be a riot to get off that POS plane. They decided against that and arranged for another plane to Kalamazoo.

An hour after she landed and her heart rate was back to normal I sent her this text:

"i promise to never bitch about your roast again." she called half crying and half laughing and told me she needed that.

• Like 12

We are strange creatures. Sometimes we need something like that to make us appreciate what we have, and to be grateful for it and everyone near and dear to us.

Glad all is well, and here's a hug for Mrs. HemiBeers from me.-------------------------------> :hug2:

• Like 3

Thanks for all the supportive comments.

It certainly puts it in perspective when comparing this to the petty issues we turn into gigantic problems.

Not only that, she brought me back a pecan log roll and honey roasted pecans from juniper, florida (*munch, munch, munch*). It would have been additionally tragic to see those go up in flames.

• Like 5

P.S. Hemi, you cook? :)

if you count meat on a grill, yes i cook.

but i get by when she's out of town. I don't have patience for anything more than 5 ingredients.

• Like 1

here's the news story (since it turned out well it apparently it wasn't priority).

http://www.wilx.com/...-441049983.html

In a way I'm glad it landed at a different airport so I didn't have to watch it.

In other news, back to nazi riots...

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

here's the news story (since it turned out well it apparently it wasn't priority).

In a way I'm glad it landed at a different airport so I didn't have to watch it.

The link isn't working.

No riots in Boston. Probably kept it under control due to all the baked beans they consume there.

The link isn't working.

No riots in Boston. Probably kept it under control due to all the baked beans they consume there.

eh...there really wasn't much of a story in the link.

WHY the HECK are there NO POSTS of mine when I remember Making them? Sorry to hear this, my friend. That's terrifying! I used to worry about letting my second wife drive by herself because of her CHI she had in the eighties......until she got home, of course....

http://i.imgur.com/gjSaNQG.gif

• Like 1

Is her roast still bad?

Not bad...just bland, but she likes bland. But it's one of her favorite things to cook and eat...so in the past I'd whine about it.

I usually just dump ketchup or barbeque sauce on it to make it tolerable.

• Like 1

Is her roast still bad?

Not bad...just bland, but she likes bland. But it's one of her favorite things to cook and eat...so in the past I'd whine about it.

I usually just dump ketchup or barbeque sauce on it to make it tolerable.

Pecan Treats? Recipe?

http://i.imgur.com/6s1I6gw.jpg

Scary story, Hemi. I read it yesterday, in Chicago's O'Hare Airport. I didn't dare respond in fear of jinxing my flight. :LOL:

The descent into Reno was a steep one and the story was in the back of my mind. My biggest fear was that my ironic passing would end up as the source one of Maverick's TRF memes. :P

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

she said there was another pilot on the plane as a passenger and he said that's the first time in 36 years of flying that he's experienced that.

Oh sure...it's all his fault because he was due for this!