• Members
  • 18464 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.
Hey I didn't know that. What music is he doing?
From what I know, Hans Zimmer has been touring the world for the past two years playing his compositions (film scores and otherwise) and he's added guitars specifically for these shows. Guthrie's one of three guitarists touring with Hans, the other two are Mike Einziger and (of all people) Johnny Marr.

Guthrie performing the Interstellar theme:

Weird line-up...

What do you think of the Aristocrats progression from the debut album to the latest album? Do you think there's too much "surf" sounding material on the last one?
Can't say. I don't profess to have ever listened to the Aristocrats unfortunately.

Sponsored Post

#22 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 84647 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

Hey I didn't know that. What music is he doing?
From what I know, Hans Zimmer has been touring the world for the past two years playing his compositions (film scores and otherwise) and he's added guitars specifically for these shows. Guthrie's one of three guitarists touring with Hans, the other two are Mike Einziger and (of all people) Johnny Marr.

Guthrie performing the Interstellar theme:

Weird line-up...

What do you think of the Aristocrats progression from the debut album to the latest album? Do you think there's too much "surf" sounding material on the last one?
Can't say. I don't profess to have ever listened to the Aristocrats unfortunately.
Oh well you should get those albums ASAP.

#23 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1414 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.

Surely Marco's gig with Satriani is also more lucrative.  It caused Marco to make the decision to leave SW's band.  (A choice he later complained about?)
It might be more lucrative for Satriani but not for whichever drummer he hires...

I'm sure Satch pays his band better than SW.  He was playing bigger venues, higher ticket prices, and more shows.  Only problem for Marco was he could sleepwalk through 90% of the show (all but his solo) with the incredibly boring backing tracks that Satch mandates.
That's because Satch's rhythm guitar/bass guitar writing sensibilities are maddeningly simplistic and always have been even on Surfing with the Alien.

especially maddening because he has 2/3 of The Aristocrats as his rhythm section.  I watched Marco and Bryan pound out those simplistic 4/4 patterns song after song which Satch did his thing (not my favorite shredder by far) was a form of torture.  Having just seen the Aristocrats in a club with ~200 people; Satch was playing to ~3000. Replace Satch with Guthrie and change the setlist to the infinitely more interesting Aristocrats material (hell, keep Mike Keneally and cover some Zappa!); I'd take that any day!

#24 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1414 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Anyway, back to the bone, lol, is the mail here yet?!??!

#25 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 84647 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.

Surely Marco's gig with Satriani is also more lucrative.  It caused Marco to make the decision to leave SW's band.  (A choice he later complained about?)
It might be more lucrative for Satriani but not for whichever drummer he hires...

I'm sure Satch pays his band better than SW.  He was playing bigger venues, higher ticket prices, and more shows.  Only problem for Marco was he could sleepwalk through 90% of the show (all but his solo) with the incredibly boring backing tracks that Satch mandates.
That's because Satch's rhythm guitar/bass guitar writing sensibilities are maddeningly simplistic and always have been even on Surfing with the Alien.

especially maddening because he has 2/3 of The Aristocrats as his rhythm section.  I watched Marco and Bryan pound out those simplistic 4/4 patterns song after song which Satch did his thing (not my favorite shredder by far) was a form of torture.  Having just seen the Aristocrats in a club with ~200 people; Satch was playing to ~3000. Replace Satch with Guthrie and change the setlist to the infinitely more interesting Aristocrats material (hell, keep Mike Keneally and cover some Zappa!); I'd take that any day!
The Aristocrats are bit too difficult for Satch fans to listen to.

#26 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 84647 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

Anyway, back to the bone, lol, is the mail here yet?!??!
I've listened to it, it's good. Now it's ACCEPT's new one! :haz:

#27 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1414 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

First listen - pretty strange to hear it all together.  I think it's quite good; very different.  I think I get "Permanating" placement on the disc - Steven mentioned although this isn't a concept album, there is still a thread and it is like a move;  "Refuge" is so heavy, brought me to tears; "Permanating" functions to lighten the mood a bit in order to move forward.  Really like the title track, Same Asylum, Refuge, Detonation, Song of Unborn, as well as the singles I previously heard.

I will admit missing muso elements a bit here and there.  However, I hear a few songs/melodies/elements that wouldn't be out of place of "Stupid Dream" or "Lightbulb Sun" (already knew that, but I hear it even more now.)

I like it alot.  Very different.  Cool.

#28 HemispheresserehpsimeH

HemispheresserehpsimeH

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:21 PM

I'm enjoying this quite a bit. It pushes a bit of the prog masturbation to the side and just allows for the solid songwriting to shine through. I've loved Wilson's previous records, but this just seems more fresh and thrilling to listen to. Like cygnify said, I can hear bits of Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun in here. Even a little bit of Deadwing. But not in a repetitive/nostalgic sense.

It's just nice to have a Wilson album that sounds a bit less melancholic. It's still there a bit, mixed with the usual ominous sounds that Steven likes to explore. But it's definitely more urgent sounding and not as oppressive as his past records have been. I'm excited to dive into it a bit more tonight.

#29 The K Man

The K Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

It sounds really good so far, to my ears anyway. Steven Wilson never disappoints.

#30 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

Probably listened to the album 15 or more times since it leaked.  It's a bit of a deviation from the last 3 (full) albums, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.  People Who Eat Darkness is a very solid overall song, has some prog and rock elements while also remaining just the slightest bit catchy.  SW definitely knows how to draw you in.

#31 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

My Bluray preorder just shipped from the UK a few days ago so I won't have it for another week.

#32 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 84647 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

View Poststoopid, on 18 August 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

My Bluray preorder just shipped from the UK a few days ago so I won't have it for another week.
That's why you're called Stoopid! (joke!) :16ton:

#33 willowroolz

willowroolz

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1398 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:05 AM

Agree with the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun comparisons.  Probably why I'm enjoying it so much, as the latter of those two is my favourite PT album.

#34 pip65

pip65

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1272 posts
  • Interests:Walking, reading, knitting, choral singing and, of course, RUSH.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

I was fortunate enough to go to a signing session yesterday, at which SW played through 4 songs from the album (2 of them with Ninet). Although clearly work in progress as far as live performance goes, both were in fine voice and left me very much looking forward to the upcoming tour.

As for the album, I like it very much indeed. It's a bit different, more accessible with less prog noodling but still unmistakably Steven Wilson. Favourite track at the moment has to be Nowhere Now closely followed by Refuge and Song of  Unborn, but I like it all (even Permanating).

#35 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

I ordered it the first few hours the preorder was announced.  Next time I wait for it to appear on Amazon.  ;)

#36 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1414 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

View Poststoopid, on 19 August 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

I ordered it the first few hours the preorder was announced.  Next time I wait for it to appear on Amazon.  ;)

Amazon had originally listed the Bluray as "Region 2".  I suspected it was an error, but I couldn't get anyone to confirm.  Rather than take a chance, I went with a place in Maine that some people were recommending (Bullmoose).  All to save a few bucks from the Burning shed shipping (and hopefully sooner.)  Though now, I still don't have the Bluray and no response from Bullmoose... guess I'm stoopid now!

#37 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

View Postcygnify, on 20 August 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

...guess I'm stoopid now!

In that case - sucks to be you!  :P

#38 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10470 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

Steven did a little bit of nicking Roosevelt's Hold On for this album.  Go check it out.  :D

#39 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

First listen - pretty strange to hear it all together.  I think it's quite good; very different.  I think I get "Permanating" placement on the disc - Steven mentioned although this isn't a concept album, there is still a thread and it is like a move;  "Refuge" is so heavy, brought me to tears; "Permanating" functions to lighten the mood a bit in order to move forward.  Really like the title track, Same Asylum, Refuge, Detonation, Song of Unborn, as well as the singles I previously heard.

I will admit missing muso elements a bit here and there.  However, I hear a few songs/melodies/elements that wouldn't be out of place of "Stupid Dream" or "Lightbulb Sun" (already knew that, but I hear it even more now.)

I like it alot.  Very different.  Cool.

On my third listen.

I'm loving it.

My favorite SW era is the Stupid Dream era, so this is right up my alley.

Toned down the chops.  More Groove, like you said.

Thumbs waaaaaaaaaay up.

#40 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3927 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Listened to it over the weekend and wasn't impressed. I'll give it another listen or 2 before making up my mind, but I'm not expecting much change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users