Jump to content


Steven Wilson - To The Bone


  • Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21183 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

Posted Image

I figured we should have a dedicated topic to this rather than rely on the 4.5 topic. My copy arrives later today, what are some of your thoughts on the new release?

Sponsored Post

#2 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2886 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Im gonna give it a listen later on today I am excited to see how this is. If I remember correctly he said this album he is trying to go more "pop" than progressive, I think he will do great stuff with this. Or hope :D

#3 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

I have my copy here I've not opened it yet. I'm eating!

#4 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21183 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

I heard the leak a few weeks ago but I've kept away from it since. I'll give iNSURGENTES a spin while I wait for it to arrive

#5 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 18 August 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

I heard the leak a few weeks ago but I've kept away from it since. I'll give iNSURGENTES a spin while I wait for it to arrive
Has it not arrived yet?? *Opens package*

#6 cygnify

cygnify

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central Florida
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

My copy arrives today!  I'm really excited.  I understand Steven's aim to produce a intelligent "progressive pop".  As Craig Blundell stated on Facebook:

Quote

By request of SW it's possibly the simplest contribution drums and parts wise I've made to any album in the past year with all the crazy weird stuff I've been playing on, but that suited me just fine and more importantly, served the songs. I'm very proud I was asked to play on it and really happy with it listening back. It's not an album for 'chops' but crammed full of emotive and thought provoking songs.

Jeremy Stacey (King Crimson) actually plays drums on the most tracks on the album - also very grooving!

I've enjoyed the 5 songs that he's released from it thus far - certainly much simplified from the more proggy edge of the last 3 albums, but still very detailed, very cinematic, and quite accessible.  In a way, it is sort of a return to those roots on display for "Stupid Dream" / "Lightbulb Sun" from Porcupine Tree - yet, served by the benefit of all his experience since that time.  The album should be a treat!

Here's a track-by-track interview / analysis by Steven:

http://stevenwilsonh...k-guide-part-1/

http://stevenwilsonh...k-guide-part-2/

#7 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NO FUTURE.
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

My thoughts on the album so far are best described by the contents of this video. Whether it's positive or negative boils down to interpretation. ;)



And that's all I'll say about it.

#8 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

I'm listening now. Obviously I'd prefer Guthrie and Marco to be on there but whatever.

#9 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...

#10 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NO FUTURE.
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.

#11 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.

#12 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NO FUTURE.
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.
Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.

#13 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.
Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.
Hey I didn't know that. What music is he doing?

#14 cygnify

cygnify

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central Florida
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

Marco and Guthrie have been out of the band for more than 2 years.  I love them too (I'm a big Aristocrats fan!), but have totally come to terms that they are not going to work with Steven in the near future, if ever.  And I believe they would not have worked inside the non-muso concept that Steven was going for here.

As a drummer, I am a huge fan of Marco's - he really pushes the envelope and you can feel it in his playing.  Fearless.  Live, he was fantastic.  I followed Craig Blundell's attempt to follow that - no small feat; when I met Craig after a show in NYC in 2015, he confided that he was a bit of a wreck.  Honestly, nobody could take that seat and be Marco (Steven didn't want that!).  Craig was recommended by Gavin Harrison.  Obviously, he had some skills but it wasn't totally clicking.  He suffered the wrath of fans that wanted Marco, and during his break-in period....  It took some time, but I saw Craig with SW again a couple times last year and came to the realization that he now owns that seat!  It was fascinating to witness that evolution in his playing within the band.  By the end of the H.C.E. / 4.5 tour cycle, he was owning it.  That said, Steven used Craig for 3 or 4 songs on TTB, and also Jeremy Stacey (as noted above King Crimson) and really wanted no muso-chops fest on this album.  It is song / groove oriented.  As much as I love Marco, and not that he would come back now, but he would not have worked within this context.

Same goes for Guthrie.  As much as he was incredible on "Drive Home" and "Ancestral" among others and as soulful as his playing is, he still is a shred-meister.  Steven has commented many times about having to slow GG down, to add emotion to the solos, etc.  Live, Dave Kilminster did more than an incredible job filling Guthrie's shoes - in fact, I would say that Dave was more faithful to the soul of the albums than GG was (I watched GG shred over his Drive Home solo during the Raven tour...)  For the new album, Steven plays most of the solos - as does the Paul Stacey on Refuge.  More on the reasoning for that in the articles I linked above.

Edited by cygnify, 18 August 2017 - 02:54 PM.


#15 cygnify

cygnify

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central Florida
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.
Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.

Surely Marco's gig with Satriani is also more lucrative.  It caused Marco to make the decision to leave SW's band.  (A choice he later complained about?)

#16 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.
Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.

Surely Marco's gig with Satriani is also more lucrative.  It caused Marco to make the decision to leave SW's band.  (A choice he later complained about?)
It might be more lucrative for Satriani but not for whichever drummer he hires...

#17 cygnify

cygnify

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central Florida
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.
Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.

Surely Marco's gig with Satriani is also more lucrative.  It caused Marco to make the decision to leave SW's band.  (A choice he later complained about?)
It might be more lucrative for Satriani but not for whichever drummer he hires...

I'm sure Satch pays his band better than SW.  He was playing bigger venues, higher ticket prices, and more shows.  Only problem for Marco was he could sleepwalk through 90% of the show (all but his solo) with the incredibly boring backing tracks that Satch mandates.

#18 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postcygnify, on 18 August 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's not quite as 80's pop as advertised...
Aside from the title track, Permanating, and Song Of I, I didn't get the impression of it being pop-ish either.
It's a bit less progressive in the drum and percussion work. It seems to have been designed to be simpler with electro pop leanings. And of course there isn't the Marvelous Machiavellian Machismo of Guthrie Govan.
Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.

Surely Marco's gig with Satriani is also more lucrative.  It caused Marco to make the decision to leave SW's band.  (A choice he later complained about?)
It might be more lucrative for Satriani but not for whichever drummer he hires...

I'm sure Satch pays his band better than SW.  He was playing bigger venues, higher ticket prices, and more shows.  Only problem for Marco was he could sleepwalk through 90% of the show (all but his solo) with the incredibly boring backing tracks that Satch mandates.
That's because Satch's rhythm guitar/bass guitar writing sensibilities are maddeningly simplistic and always have been even on Surfing with the Alien.

#19 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18464 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NO FUTURE.
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.
Hey I didn't know that. What music is he doing?
From what I know, Hans Zimmer has been touring the world for the past two years playing his compositions (film scores and otherwise) and he's added guitars specifically for these shows. Guthrie's one of three guitarists who have played with Hans (as of now he's still playing live with the band), the other two being Mike Einziger and (of all people) Johnny Marr.

Guthrie performing the Interstellar theme:

Edited by PolarizeMe, 18 August 2017 - 03:07 PM.


#20 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84526 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 18 August 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 18 August 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Guthrie's got a much more lucrative gig now: Hans Zimmer's guitarist.
Hey I didn't know that. What music is he doing?
From what I know, Hans Zimmer has been touring the world for the past two years playing his compositions (film scores and otherwise) and he's added guitars specifically for these shows. Guthrie's one of three guitarists touring with Hans, the other two are Mike Einziger and (of all people) Johnny Marr.

Guthrie performing the Interstellar theme:

Weird line-up...

What do you think of the Aristocrats progression from the debut album to the latest album? Do you think there's too much "surf" sounding material on the last one?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users