Mastodon prepare ANOTHER new studio album - out in Sept

What is this, the 1970s...? Two new studio albums in 6 months:

Leading up to the release of Emperor Of Sand, Mastodon had discussed a possible double album and kept mentioning something called Cold Dark Place. Guitarist and vocalist Brent Hinds said Cold Dark Place would become his solo album and it would be released in July, which clearly it hadn't.

Oh, did we mention that it's probably coming out as a Mastodon album on September 22?

While there's been no official announcement, a listing for the album has appeared on Amazon UK, and Hinds posted the very same artwork to his Instagram as well. So it seems safe to say that Cold Dark Place is real, though no word on if it's an EP or LP. The hype is very, very real.

We'll keep you posted as we know more!

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/20837109_426417331087392_2814133280385794048_n.jpg

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 3

Oh, great!!!

That reminds me that I need to listen to Emperor of Sand a bit more. I found it to be ok, but nothing special. Maybe a few more listens will help. That's the case with Mastodon for me most of the time, strangely...

• Like 1

Oh, great!!!

That reminds me that I need to listen to Emperor of Sand a bit more. I found it to be ok, but nothing special. Maybe a few more listens will help...

I really like half of it. The other half is mired in repetition -- they really need help with writing vocal parts in their choruses. They keep resorting to these boring half-note rhythm patterns: Weeeeeee willllllllllll keeeeeeeeeeep youuuuuuuuuuu freeeeeeeeee froooooooooom haaaaaaaaaaarm.

Oh, great!!!

That reminds me that I need to listen to Emperor of Sand a bit more. I found it to be ok, but nothing special. Maybe a few more listens will help...

I really like half of it. The other half is mired in repetition -- they really need help with writing vocal parts in their choruses. They keep resorting to these boring half-note rhythm patterns: Weeeeeee willllllllllll keeeeeeeeeeep youuuuuuuuuuu freeeeeeeeee froooooooooom haaaaaaaaaaarm.

Yeah, the vocals are the Achilles heel of this band.

Oh, great!!!

Yeah, the vocals are the Achilles heel of this band.

That's exactly what I thought...of their earliest material, that tuneless, growling shit that lacks any kind of melody or harmony. While I enjoyed the playing on their earliest albums, those vocals were abject crapola compared to this.

I can listen to the first three albums and EPs on loop for life and never complain!

Seriously they were such a gift to the scene! They evolved into more melodic prog band. Thats fine. Not for me. Crack The Skye was where I jumped ship (although thats the last album I really enjoyed).

Still, including the complilation of early meterial, that is five outstanding albums!

The album artwork looks awesome. I said the same about Emperor of Sand also but the more I listened to it, the less I liked it with each listen. I hope this one clicks with me better. Edited by PolarizeMe

That's unheard of now. Doors released their first two in the same year and CCR released 3 in one year!

Robert Pollard routinely releases three or four albums a year. Sometimes more, but almost never fewer than three.

In 2011- between Guided By Voices, his solo albums, Boston Spaceships, Circus Devils, and a couple of other side projects- he released seven albums of all-new material. That's a new album once about every seven and a half weeks.

Just an oddball question here...

Is the overall production, sound quality of Mastadon albums pretty good, consistent?

I don't want the first cd I buy to be a turn off if it's not superior sounding.

Well it depends on one's own definition of superior sounding. :D

The driving force for me was less the audio and more do I like growling Cookie Monster, melody-lacking, guteral vocals...or the period of the band where they learned they had three distinct and good voices....and that things like melody and harmony weren't merely an unimportant detail that could be sacrificed.

Edited by Presto-digitation

OMRTS is the only one I have a problem with production wise, but that's usually the case with me and Nick R. Snakes sounding good was a fluke. I still like the songs though. The Hunter isn't my favorite album, but it sounds really good. I love the drum sound on that one.

Weren't all of these songs on the EP suppose to be for a Brent Hinds solo album? I read in an interview where he mentioned about a planned solo album titled Cold Dark Place and in another, there was talk about a Black Friday RSD Mastodon EP for last year that never happened. I also remembered when OMRTS came out someone from the band mentioned an EPs worth of extra songs from the OMRTS recording session that was suppose to be released at some point but never happened also (maybe one of those songs they contributed to Games of Thrones was one of them?).

Since this is coming out just after EoS, I wonder if it's an EP of leftover songs from OMRTS and/or EoS or all original new songs written by Brent.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Three songs from the OMRTS sessions and Toe to Toes from the EoS sessions.

Thanks for the clarification. "Toe To Toes" does have a "new-ness" to it. I listened to it again, and it's definitely registering with me a lot better than most of EoS which while it had a few good songs (i.e. Roots Remain) it left me very disappointed as a whole personally.

Oh, great!!!

That reminds me that I need to listen to Emperor of Sand a bit more. I found it to be ok, but nothing special. Maybe a few more listens will help. That's the case with Mastodon for me most of the time, strangely...

I really like it. I have also gotten to like the Hunter as well.