Natural Science: Mess or Magic?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Natural Science (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which thought is closest to yours regarding Natural Science?

1. It's my favorite Rush song. Sheer perfection! (7 votes [13.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

2. I'm not sure if it's my favorite but it's up there. Excellence! (34 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. The talent is obvious and it's a good song but there are other tunes I can rattle off that I enjoy more. (10 votes [19.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

4. It's an okay jam but honestly, it's probably somewhere in the middle of all Rush songs. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. It's below average. It's definitely not the worst thing around but I don't like it a whole lot. (0 votes [0.00%])

6. It's an overrated, overappreciated mess. I rarely/never listen to this anymore. (0 votes [0.00%])

What grade would you give Natural Science?

1. A: Superior (39 votes [76.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. B: Above average (11 votes [21.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

3. C: Average (1 votes [1.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

4. D: Below average (0 votes [0.00%])

5. F: FAIL! (0 votes [0.00%])

Which songs off Permanent Waves do you enjoy more than Natural Science?

1. The Spirit of Radio (15 votes [19.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. Freewill (14 votes [17.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.95%

3. Jacob's Ladder (12 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Entre Nous (5 votes [6.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.41%

5. Different Strings (4 votes [5.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

6. I enjoy none of them more than Natural Science! Natural Science rules Permanent Waves! (28 votes [35.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10798 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:21 PM

View Postdiatribein, on 17 August 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Not as good as Bravest Face, but up there as one of their better songs.

Posted Image

Edited by Lucas, 17 August 2017 - 11:23 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

View PostLucas, on 17 August 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

Put on your bravest ape!

#43 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10798 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:31 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

Posted Image

Put on your bravest ape!

I like that song about this wonderful world
It's got a sunny point of view
But there's a darker point of view
Sadly just as true
For so many apes among us

Edited by Lucas, 17 August 2017 - 11:32 PM.

#44 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8902 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

View PostLucas, on 17 August 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

Put on your bravest ape!

Sadly just as true

This is already better than Bravest Face

#45 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8902 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 August 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 17 August 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 16 August 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

It's the ultimate rush song for me.  Early on I would have ranked FoL or 2112 higher but this is the culmination of those efforts.  Musically and lyrically near perfect.

Agreed. For me Natti Sci and Xanadu are neck and neck for being the quintessential Rush song.

Or La Villa.
or that.

Xanadu / La Villa / Natti Sci...that is a STRONG triumvirate.

#46 diatribein

diatribein

The Seeker

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

What part(s) about Bravest Face do you like more than Natural Science? Guitars? Bass? Drums? Vocals? Lyrics? Melody? Other?

Lyrics, melody, chorus, acoustic guitar riff.

Edited by diatribein, 17 August 2017 - 11:44 PM.

#47 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

View PostLucas, on 17 August 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

Put on your bravest ape!

Sadly just as true

In the sweetest chimp there's a vicious streak
In the strongest ape there's a child so weak
In the Heston world there's no magic place
So you might as well rise, put on your monkey face

#48 diatribein

diatribein

The Seeker

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:53 PM

Without getting into the meaning because that belongs on the locked board, I think many of the Bravest Face haters just can't stand the political message of the song, which I absolutely adore. It is such an important message, so eloquently given voice to. It beautifully communicates a necessary political ideal that I think irks a certain side of the political spectrum. Perhaps that is why when people here deride the song they try to use the lyrics to make their point, but the lyrics are the best part. They have so much meaning and communicate something so principled that even childish mocking of them by switching key words does nothing but show how important the message really is as evidenced by how many remain tone-deaf to it and angered by the sentiment.

Edited by diatribein, 18 August 2017 - 12:11 AM.

#49 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10798 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

My dog is looking at me right now

WTF is so gdamn funny ?!?!

#50 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1826 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:07 AM

View Postdiatribein, on 17 August 2017 - 11:53 PM, said:

Without getting into the meaning because that belongs on the locked board, I think many of the Bravest Face haters just can't stand the political message of the song, which I absolutely adore. It is such an important message, so eloquently given voice to. It beautifully communicates a necessary political ideal that I think irks a certain side of the political spectrum. Perhaps that is why when you deride the song you try to use the lyrics to make your point, but the lyrics are the best part. They have so much meaning and communicate something so principled that even childish mocking of them by switching key words does nothing but show how important the message really is as evidenced by how many remain tone-deaf to it and angered by the sentiment.

Funny that you mention 'tone-deaf'.

#51 diatribein

diatribein

The Seeker

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

View PostAlien Girl, on 18 August 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

Without getting into the meaning because that belongs on the locked board, I think many of the Bravest Face haters just can't stand the political message of the song, which I absolutely adore. It is such an important message, so eloquently given voice to. It beautifully communicates a necessary political ideal that I think irks a certain side of the political spectrum. Perhaps that is why when you deride the song you try to use the lyrics to make your point, but the lyrics are the best part. They have so much meaning and communicate something so principled that even childish mocking of them by switching key words does nothing but show how important the message really is as evidenced by how many remain tone-deaf to it and angered by the sentiment.

Yeah, I thought it was fairly obvious that hating on Bravest Face is a clear sign of tone-deafness. :cool:

#52 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83469 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

I've got the third option but I still would say it's in the superior category but having said that I like everything on Side 1 better.

#53 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:55 AM

Without getting into the meaning because that belongs on the locked board, I think many of the Bravest Face haters just can't stand the political message of the song, which I absolutely adore. It is such an important message, so eloquently given voice to. It beautifully communicates a necessary political ideal that I think irks a certain side of the political spectrum. Perhaps that is why when people here deride the song they try to use the lyrics to make their point, but the lyrics are the best part. They have so much meaning and communicate something so principled that even childish mocking of them by switching key words does nothing but show how important the message really is as evidenced by how many remain tone-deaf to it and angered by the sentiment.

The sentiment never bothered me. The lyrics never bothered me. The vocals really bother me. The music bores me. The politics never factored into me not liking it whatsoever. So yeah, you might be right: the lyrics are the best part.

Lyrics aren't everything. Sometimes they help. Sometimes they hurt. Sometimes they do nothing (for me).

Subdivisions and Analog Kid were already great songs musically that are boosted by the lyrics.

Time Stand Still is a good song that's boosted by the lyrics.

Natural Science is my favorite Rush song MUSICALLY...and the lyrics I hadn't considered until YEARS later. Lyrically, it's above average. Even with that, its my favorite Rush song overall.

Alien Shore has good sentiments but lyrically I think it's unsuccessful. That doesn't matter though since I think it's good musically. It still gets my praise.

Virtuality I think is an okay song musically but the lyrics hurt the song.

On the other end, IMHO Losing It or Afterimage might be Peart's best lyrics but neither are anywhere close to being my favorite Rush song. Musically they're very good songs, but lyrically they're brilliant! Genius!

To recap: In Bravest Face's particular case, the lyrics or politics have no influence on me disliking it. It's the other stuff about it that I dislike.

#54 Amps211

Amps211

The Seeker

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Rock and folk music and family and beer

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

magic

#55 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10798 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

C'mon diatribein, no one is angry here - except maybe you

As a fellow Rush fan, I like your passion ..

As for the song, implying that because they disagree with the sentiment is the only reason a person wouldn't care for Bravest Face is like saying a person has no interest in astronomy if they don't like Cygnus X1

A person can agree with the sentiment and meaning but just not connect with the delivery

Edited by Lucas, 18 August 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#56 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1826 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

View Postdiatribein, on 18 August 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Yeah, I thought it was fairly obvious that hating on Bravest Face is a clear sign of tone-deafness. :cool:

I'm not emotionally vested in Bravest Face like you seem to be...

The lyrics are fine.  I think you're reading way too much into things when you say people don't like it because of its politics.  I couldn't care less about the politics of the song.  It's the way it sounds that I can't stand.  Ugly and discordant.

You are the one who seems to discount the way a song sounds in favor of lyrics.  And that's fine.  We all have our preferences.

I just think it's an ugly filler of a song. :finbar:

#57 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3682 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

Posted Image

This is the best thing I've seen all day!

#58 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 9840 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Forgotten completely how Bravest Face went so checked it out again on Youtube....I wish I hadn't.

#59 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69611 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:11 PM

View PostAlien Girl, on 18 August 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

View Postdiatribein, on 18 August 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

I'm not emotionally vested in Bravest Face like you seem to be...

The lyrics are fine.  I think you're reading way too much into things when you say people don't like it because of its politics.  I couldn't care less about the politics of the song.  It's the way it sounds that I can't stand.  Ugly and discordant.

You are the one who seems to discount the way a song sounds in favor of lyrics.  And that's fine.  We all have our preferences.

I just think it's an ugly filler of a song. :finbar:
Bravest Face has lyrics?   They must be more than three seconds in, since that's about the time it takes to hit skip.

#60 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69611 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Just read the lyrics to Bravest Face, they're very innocuous and I have no idea why they'd be despised by one end of the political spectrum.    The blandness of the music ought to unite everyone along that spectrum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users