Natural Science: Mess or Magic?

JohnnyBlaze

Natural Science  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which thought is closest to yours regarding Natural Science?

• It's my favorite Rush song. Sheer perfection!
    • I'm not sure if it's my favorite but it's up there. Excellence!
    • The talent is obvious and it's a good song but there are other tunes I can rattle off that I enjoy more.
    • It's an okay jam but honestly, it's probably somewhere in the middle of all Rush songs.
    • It's below average. It's definitely not the worst thing around but I don't like it a whole lot.
    • It's an overrated, overappreciated mess. I rarely/never listen to this anymore.
  2. 2. What grade would you give Natural Science?

• A: Superior
    • B: Above average
    • C: Average
    • D: Below average
    • F: FAIL!
  3. 3. Which songs off Permanent Waves do you enjoy more than Natural Science?

• The Spirit of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Jacob's Ladder
    • Entre Nous
    • Different Strings
    • I enjoy none of them more than Natural Science! Natural Science rules Permanent Waves!

Okay, let's go in the opposite direction from the Bravest Face poll.

This tune often gets tons of TRF praise. Is it worthy of those accolades?

Is it good or simply just a passable Rush tune?

Is it overrated?

Is it actually horrible?

Thoughts?

http://www.lifelonglearning.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/planet-earth.jpg

:blaze:

Wave after wave will flow with the tide

And bury the world as it does

Tide after tide will flow and recede

Leaving life to go on as it was...

I can't tell you how much I love this line of lyrics...all of Natural Science is lyrically and musically excellent, but that last stanza is sheer poetry. One of my favorites of all time.

• Like 4

Phenomenal song - everything about it is fantastic .. It comes in 2nd to Jacob's Ladder though

I don't like what they did to it live as the years went by - repeating the "Wheels within wheels" part and omitting Alex's second solo - I have no idea why they did that as it ground the momentum to a halt

• Like 3

Phenomenal song - everything about it is fantastic .. It comes in 2nd to Jacob's Ladder though

I don't like what they did to it live as the years went by - repeating the "Wheels within wheels" part and omitting Alex's second solo - I have no idea why they did that as it ground the momentum to a halt

maybe that second solo was the Sir Gawain part they patched into it, so they never really felt it was part of NS. I thought the 2nd solo was pretty pedestrian for Al so I didn't really miss it. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

I cheated and voted for Jacob's Ladder and 'none of them are better' as I like them about equal. Best songs on the album. Both top 12 Rush tunes.
  • Like 2

It is one of my favorites. Any time I hear it I just think - that is just f*c*ing amazing!
  • Like 3

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.

I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

• Like 2

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.

I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

Do you want something that most people seem to like? It seems like the songs that have held up over time don't have a lot of people that don't like them. Like i.e. Xanadu, TSOR, Limelight, La Villa or Tom Sawyer. People may be tired of hearing them, but that doesn't change the awesomeness of the songs. Maybe something like The Necromancer or By-Tor which seem to have more negative criticism now and then.

Edited by EagleMoon