Jump to content


Natural Science: Mess or Magic?


  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Natural Science (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which thought is closest to yours regarding Natural Science?

  1. It's my favorite Rush song. Sheer perfection! (7 votes [13.73%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 13.73%

  2. I'm not sure if it's my favorite but it's up there. Excellence! (34 votes [66.67%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 66.67%

  3. The talent is obvious and it's a good song but there are other tunes I can rattle off that I enjoy more. (10 votes [19.61%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 19.61%

  4. It's an okay jam but honestly, it's probably somewhere in the middle of all Rush songs. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  5. It's below average. It's definitely not the worst thing around but I don't like it a whole lot. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. It's an overrated, overappreciated mess. I rarely/never listen to this anymore. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

What grade would you give Natural Science?

  1. A: Superior (39 votes [76.47%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 76.47%

  2. B: Above average (11 votes [21.57%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 21.57%

  3. C: Average (1 votes [1.96%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 1.96%

  4. D: Below average (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  5. F: FAIL! (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Which songs off Permanent Waves do you enjoy more than Natural Science?

  1. The Spirit of Radio (15 votes [19.23%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 19.23%

  2. Freewill (14 votes [17.95%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 17.95%

  3. Jacob's Ladder (12 votes [15.38%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 15.38%

  4. Entre Nous (5 votes [6.41%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 6.41%

  5. Different Strings (4 votes [5.13%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 5.13%

  6. I enjoy none of them more than Natural Science! Natural Science rules Permanent Waves! (28 votes [35.90%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 35.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 librarian

librarian

    Aquarian Librarian

  • Members
  • 5714 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Land of Jimmy Sturr

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

It is one of my favorites. Any time I hear it I just think - that is just f*c*ing amazing!

Sponsored Post

#22 djflex

djflex

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3830 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In the ring
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

Top notch , one of my all time best songs

#23 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:25 PM

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

#24 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.
I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

#25 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.
I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

Do you want something that most people seem to like?  It seems like the songs that have held up over time don't have a lot of people that don't like them.  Like i.e. Xanadu, TSOR, Limelight, La Villa or Tom Sawyer.   People may be tired of hearing them, but that doesn't change the awesomeness of the songs. Maybe something like The Necromancer or By-Tor which seem to have more negative criticism now and then.

Edited by EagleMoon, 16 August 2017 - 11:29 PM.


#26 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1830 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Event Horizon
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.
I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

Do you want something that most people seem to like?  It seems like the songs that have held up over time don't have a lot of people that don't like them.  Like i.e. Xanadu, TSOR, Limelight, La Villa or Tom Sawyer.   People may be tired of hearing them, but that doesn't change the awesomeness of the songs. Maybe something like The Necromancer or By-Tor which seem to have more negative criticism now and then.

Far Cry would've been a good pick.

#27 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

View PostAlien Girl, on 17 August 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.
I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

Do you want something that most people seem to like?  It seems like the songs that have held up over time don't have a lot of people that don't like them.  Like i.e. Xanadu, TSOR, Limelight, La Villa or Tom Sawyer.   People may be tired of hearing them, but that doesn't change the awesomeness of the songs. Maybe something like The Necromancer or By-Tor which seem to have more negative criticism now and then.

Far Cry would've been a good pick.

I don't really care what most people seem to like. I'm interested in what people THINK about things that are currently interesting to me.

Natural Science and Bravest Face are on polar opposites of Rush tunes I like. If most people happen to feel/think the same way I do about those tunes (or other topics), then so be it. But I'd also like to hear an opposing view to not only something I like or dislike but also to something that's generally praised OR crapped on.

I could've picked Far Cry, Middletown Dreams, or whatever but I wouldn't do that if the songs don't first strongly affect me positively or negatively. It means you'll also never see a thread from me regarding Red Tide, Heresy, Emotion Detector, Madrigal, and on and on ----> songs that don't move me enough in either direction.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 17 August 2017 - 03:10 AM.


#28 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

  • Members *
  • 9841 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:40 AM

A musical tour de force par excellence, it's hard to find fault with it without being excessively picky...a ten minute masterpiece.

#29 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 17666 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:03 AM

The only song on Permanent Waves that I sometimes like more (sometimes, not always) is Freewill. Love, love love Natural Science.

R40 was the only time I got to see it played live.

#30 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 8902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

View PostAncient Ways, on 16 August 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

It's the ultimate rush song for me.  Early on I would have ranked FoL or 2112 higher but this is the culmination of those efforts.  Musically and lyrically near perfect.

Agreed. For me Natti Sci and Xanadu are neck and neck for being the quintessential Rush song.

#31 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

View PostAlien Girl, on 17 August 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.
I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

Do you want something that most people seem to like?  It seems like the songs that have held up over time don't have a lot of people that don't like them.  Like i.e. Xanadu, TSOR, Limelight, La Villa or Tom Sawyer.   People may be tired of hearing them, but that doesn't change the awesomeness of the songs. Maybe something like The Necromancer or By-Tor which seem to have more negative criticism now and then.

Far Cry would've been a good pick.

I don't really care what most people seem to like. I'm interested in what people THINK about things that are currently interesting to me.

Natural Science and Bravest Face are on polar opposites of Rush tunes I like. If most people happen to feel/think the same way I do about those tunes (or other topics), then so be it. But I'd also like to hear an opposing view to not only something I like or dislike but also to something that's generally praised OR crapped on.

I could've picked Far Cry, Middletown Dreams, or whatever but I wouldn't do that if the songs don't first strongly affect me positively or negatively. It means you'll also never see a thread from me regarding Red Tide, Heresy, Emotion Detector, Madrigal, and on and on ----> songs that don't move me enough in either direction.

Additionally, the most interesting stat is the last one in the third question. Of the current 36 votes, 60% think there's something better on PeW than Natural Science. It's interesting to me BECAUSE over 80% had already graded Natural Science an "A: Superior". That's a lot of love for Waves. And still there's someone who graded the song "C: Average".

Anyway... :hail:

#32 Xanadu

Xanadu

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1703 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

I'm in the majority on this one. I only put one Rush song above Natural Science. It's brilliant!

#33 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 17 August 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 16 August 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

It's the ultimate rush song for me.  Early on I would have ranked FoL or 2112 higher but this is the culmination of those efforts.  Musically and lyrically near perfect.

Agreed. For me Natti Sci and Xanadu are neck and neck for being the quintessential Rush song.

Or La Villa.

#34 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21764 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

View PostAlien Girl, on 17 August 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.
I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

Do you want something that most people seem to like?  It seems like the songs that have held up over time don't have a lot of people that don't like them.  Like i.e. Xanadu, TSOR, Limelight, La Villa or Tom Sawyer.   People may be tired of hearing them, but that doesn't change the awesomeness of the songs. Maybe something like The Necromancer or By-Tor which seem to have more negative criticism now and then.

Far Cry would've been a good pick.

I don't really care what most people seem to like. I'm interested in what people THINK about things that are currently interesting to me.

Natural Science and Bravest Face are on polar opposites of Rush tunes I like. If most people happen to feel/think the same way I do about those tunes (or other topics), then so be it. But I'd also like to hear an opposing view to not only something I like or dislike but also to something that's generally praised OR crapped on.

I could've picked Far Cry, Middletown Dreams, or whatever but I wouldn't do that if the songs don't first strongly affect me positively or negatively. It means you'll also never see a thread from me regarding Red Tide, Heresy, Emotion Detector, Madrigal, and on and on ----> songs that don't move me enough in either direction.

Additionally, the most interesting stat is the last one in the third question. Of the current 36 votes, 60% think there's something better on PeW than Natural Science. It's interesting to me BECAUSE over 80% had already graded Natural Science an "A: Superior". That's a lot of love for Waves. And still there's someone who graded the song "C: Average".

Anyway... :hail:

I think TSOR is probably the reason.

#35 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3766 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

I like listening to NS with headphones. that opening water trickle trips me out.

#36 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3766 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

oops

Edited by HemiBeers, 17 August 2017 - 05:38 PM.


#37 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 August 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

View PostAlien Girl, on 17 August 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 16 August 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Of all songs to pick. This one is one that's pretty universally loved.

That's why I picked it. And that's why I picked Bravest Face (for the opposite emotion) in the other thread.
I wanted to see if these two lived up (in poll numbers) to how people have commented on them.

Also, knowing it's universally loved, I thought someone might chime in with why they don't think it's all that. Just like in the Bravest Face poll where a few chimed in on why they love it.

Something in the middle for me like Middletown Dreams I have no interest in knowing about.

What would you have picked?

Do you want something that most people seem to like?  It seems like the songs that have held up over time don't have a lot of people that don't like them.  Like i.e. Xanadu, TSOR, Limelight, La Villa or Tom Sawyer.   People may be tired of hearing them, but that doesn't change the awesomeness of the songs. Maybe something like The Necromancer or By-Tor which seem to have more negative criticism now and then.

Far Cry would've been a good pick.

I don't really care what most people seem to like. I'm interested in what people THINK about things that are currently interesting to me.

Natural Science and Bravest Face are on polar opposites of Rush tunes I like. If most people happen to feel/think the same way I do about those tunes (or other topics), then so be it. But I'd also like to hear an opposing view to not only something I like or dislike but also to something that's generally praised OR crapped on.

I could've picked Far Cry, Middletown Dreams, or whatever but I wouldn't do that if the songs don't first strongly affect me positively or negatively. It means you'll also never see a thread from me regarding Red Tide, Heresy, Emotion Detector, Madrigal, and on and on ----> songs that don't move me enough in either direction.

Additionally, the most interesting stat is the last one in the third question. Of the current 36 votes, 60% think there's something better on PeW than Natural Science. It's interesting to me BECAUSE over 80% had already graded Natural Science an "A: Superior". That's a lot of love for Waves. And still there's someone who graded the song "C: Average".

Anyway... :hail:

I think TSOR is probably the reason.
And, according to the numbers, an equal percentage like Jacob's Ladder more than Natural Science too. That's an interesting surprise to me.

#38 diatribein

diatribein

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 324 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

Not as good as Bravest Face, but up there as one of their better songs.

#39 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

View Postdiatribein, on 17 August 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Not as good as Bravest Face, but up there as one of their better songs.

What part(s) about Bravest Face do you like more than Natural Science? Guitars? Bass? Drums? Vocals? Lyrics? Melody? Other?

#40 BenjaminW

BenjaminW

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Francisco, California
  • Interests:Listening to Rush (duh)

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

At first, I didn't really care a whole lot about Natural Science when I started listening to Rush but my dad changed my opinion on the song after he told me it had some of Neil's best drum work, which turned out to be true. Ever since then, Natural Science is my favorite Permanent Waves track and one of my favorite Rush songs.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users