Caress of Steel or Power Windows?

Texas King

Caress of Steel or Power Windows?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Caress of Steel or Power Windows?

2. 2. What tracks from these two albums can sneak in your top 20 Rush songs?

• Bastille Day
    • I Think I'm Going Bald
    • Lakeside Park
    • The Necromancer
    • The Fountain of Lamneth
    • The Big Money
    • Grand Designs
    • Manhattan Project
    • Marathon
    • Territories
    • Middletown Dreams
    • Emotion Detector
    • Mystic Rhythms
    • None of them

Let me see your music taste for Rush on this subject.

One Rush album absolutely driven with heavy rock guitar or an album driven with synths?

My pick is CoS, easily. It's my 6th fave Rush album, while PoW is probably 11th.

Songs Necro, Bastille Day and Marathon would make my top 20 Rush songs.

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 1

Good matchup. The albums are polar opposites yet merely mirror images of each other in some regards.

I love me some CoS, but it's easy to tell where the songwriting just wasn't quite focused enough. PoW on the other hand is a progressive synth-rock masterclass, and masterpiece at that. It ranks just above Hems for me while CoS is just below.

As for songs that could potentially be in my top 20, I know Marathon would stand a great chance, as well as Fountain. After that Bastille Day and Territories come to mind but then it all gets mixed up and I can't decide.

The Necromancer would be my favorite Rush song if it were not for the awesomeness of Cygnus X1 .. So The Necromancer, Bastille Day and Lakeside Park would all fall into that Top 20 on a given day

Now .. what's this other album you speak of ??

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

I voted CoS not for loving the album...it's ok...but for my disdain of the synth era.

Although PoW had some strong material...territories, grand designs. Bastille Day was my first Rush tune I heard so that's definitely top shelf.

Edited by HemiBeers

This is almost like comparing apples and oranges because they are so different. CoS is a classic hard rock album while PoWs is synth city. If you'd asked me 10 years ago I wouldn't even have even put PoWs in the running but it's grown on me (in a good way). I really learned to appreciate it more after the Clockwork Angels tour since they played so much of it.
  • Like 2

COS and Hemispheres are my favorite albums. Power Windows is probably about 5th from the bottom. Easy choice.

Necromancer and Lamneth are my two favorite songs. Lakeside Park up there too (but not a top 10). Not sure if any PoW tunes would crack the top 50 for me.