How do you feel about the song "The Big Money"?

Texas King

How do you feel about Rush song "The Big Money"?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Rush song "The Big Money"?

• It's one of my fave Rush tunes, hands down.
    • It's not in the upper level of Rush songs but I like it pretty much.
    • It's the OK tune, but I'm not crazy about it.
    • I don't like it that much but there are many other Rush songs that are worse.
    • I hate it. It just sucks.
  2. 2. What grade would you give "The Big Money"?

I like it a lot but it's not in my top 10.

Acceptable, you won't be banished.

Cool tune. I don't care for the synthesizers at the start and throughout, but once it gets going it's very enjoyable. Lee's voice is great in that song.

I'd like to hear a version without synths.

I love it.

It's not in my top ten, but it would make my top twenty.

A much better live experience than as a studio track, IMO.

I always found this song to be very cheesy for Rush musical standards.

AWAY WITH YOU...never darken this place again with your taint!

For its era, one of their better efforts. But it can't touch the transcendence of the 2112-p/g era.

Hehehe. You said taint.

• Like 1

Imagine being an 18 year old metalhead and going thru this

Interesting interviews nonetheless

But you are no longer an 18 year old metalhead, so what does it matter? Try being a 19 year old goth metal fan when your favourite band releases a chart pop flavoured rock album? I am no longer that 19 year old, and my bands creative journey inspired me to open my mind.

You like Celtic Frost right? They released an album that was a total abomination of their core sound and I have seen you praise it. Power Windows was an honest evolution from what had come before.

Not sure why now you are so open minded you still feel the need to pick apart an album from the now very dated perspective you had back in your youth.

Bands evolve, and Rush created bold music in every style they wanted too. They never sold out. They always loved what they did. Power Windows is as brave and often as shortsighted as Caress Of Steel, and it is just as enjoyable/flawed for being such a far reaching effort. Like CoS, the next album took this new found confidence in a bold new sound and pushed it to the max. Whatever you think of these albums, it shouldn't matter how you felt about them aged 18.

18 year old Lucas would probably blow himself up knowing he'd grow up to adore ABK48, just as 16 year old me would slap himself silly for loving Little Mix.

We grow, we change, tastes develop. If we as listeners try and embrace many new styles, why on earth do we act surprised when our favourite bands do too?

It wasn't the end of Rush. It was the end of your interest.

• Like 2

I remember hearing it the first time on the radio. I missed the introduction, if there was one, so I didn't know who it was. It was 1985 so who knew a new Rush album was coming out? I commented to my girlfriend, that that is great drumming. The drums sound like Neil's. Then Geddy's singing was the give away. Pure excitement, but what is with all the keyboards. Doesn't sound like them. Then the solo section hit. Now THAT is Rush, I exclaimed.

I like the song, and it's a good example of the synth era in general, not just Rush's synth era. The video is cute. I like the live version. But it just doesn't float my boat in a big way. It's one of those filler songs to me. Good in general but not one to make me get excited.

I remember going to the store the day PW came out and my friend buying the vinyl album while I bought the cassette tape. I rate it an 8/10. A really rocking tune and seeing it performed live on the PW tour in '86 was great (my first Rush show!!!)
  • Like 1

The Big Money took a while to grow on me but I absolutely love it. I first heard it on Rush and Rio and I have no regrets finding that song. It's a good song to drum to and Geddy and Alex both contribute amazing bass lines and solos.

Anyway I don't like this song much at all but the rest of the album I really enjoy!

So its forgivable. I can listen to it or just skip.

Summer 1985 ... I had just graduated high school and was putting ads in the Aquarian music paper looking for other musicians to start a band with ..

I got together with a bassist named Ronnie, who, like me, was a big Rush fan .. We talked all the time about Rush, and about the changes in the band's sound and vibe - neither of us were crazy about it, but we were both excited about the new album that was coming out .. I remember hearing things about Rush returning to heavier sound, and we had hopes that this new album would put them back where they belong ..

Big Money was the first song I heard, and I remember calling Ronnie to talk about it .. We were mortified and agreed that was pretty much the end of Rush ..

Time really hasn't changed much in this regard

Too bad for you and Ronnie.

I love it . I love synthesizers. I love guitars and bass and drums. I love geddy;s singing. I even love the video. I love Lerxt;s guitar solo. I love how the middle eight leads up the guitar solo. Did I mention that I love this song? :D-13:
  • Like 1

Anyway I don't like this song much at all but the rest of the album I really enjoy!

BANISHED...never return!

• Like 1

BANISHED...never return!

You'd miss my selfies

• Like 1

But you are no longer an 18 year old metalhead, so what does it matter? Try being a 19 year old goth metal fan when your favourite band releases a chart pop flavoured rock album? I am no longer that 19 year old, and my bands creative journey inspired me to open my mind.

You like Celtic Frost right? They released an album that was a total abomination of their core sound and I have seen you praise it. Power Windows was an honest evolution from what had come before.

Not sure why now you are so open minded you still feel the need to pick apart an album from the now very dated perspective you had back in your youth.

Bands evolve, and Rush created bold music in every style they wanted too. They never sold out. They always loved what they did. Power Windows is as brave and often as shortsighted as Caress Of Steel, and it is just as enjoyable/flawed for being such a far reaching effort. Like CoS, the next album took this new found confidence in a bold new sound and pushed it to the max. Whatever you think of these albums, it shouldn't matter how you felt about them aged 18.

18 year old Lucas would probably blow himself up knowing he'd grow up to adore ABK48, just as 16 year old me would slap himself silly for loving Little Mix.

We grow, we change, tastes develop. If we as listeners try and embrace many new styles, why on earth do we act surprised when our favourite bands do too?

Great post Segue, not too much I can disagree with .. esp that last sentence

I think more than the song ( and album ) itself was the change ... Everything that I loved about Rush and everything that I found a connection with went out the window ..

One thing about Cold Lake though - I think that album gets a bad rap more for the change in the band's image than the actual music - sure, it was not quite as heavy as previous CF albums, but it still rocks ..

But regardless, great post

Edited by Lucas

Summer 1985 ... I had just graduated high school and was putting ads in the Aquarian music paper looking for other musicians to start a band with ..

I got together with a bassist named Ronnie, who, like me, was a big Rush fan .. We talked all the time about Rush, and about the changes in the band's sound and vibe - neither of us were crazy about it, but we were both excited about the new album that was coming out .. I remember hearing things about Rush returning to heavier sound, and we had hopes that this new album would put them back where they belong ..

Big Money was the first song I heard, and I remember calling Ronnie to talk about it .. We were mortified and agreed that was pretty much the end of Rush ..

Time really hasn't changed much in this regard

Too bad for you and Ronnie.

An interesting aside ( and this is true )

Ronnie and I ended up meeting a drummer, who, at the time, was playing around with the idea of having electronic triggers on his body so he could "play drums" by hitting these triggers with his hands ..

It was the dumbest ******* thing I had ever heard of, but Ronnie liked it

Needless to say, we lost touch after that

• Like 1

BANISHED...never return!

You'd miss my selfies

:drool:

Great post Segue, not too much I can disagree with .. esp that last sentence

I think more than the song ( and album ) itself was the change ... Everything that I loved about Rush and everything that I found a connection with went out the window ..

One thing about Cold Lake though - I think that album gets a bad rap more for the change in the band's image than the actual music - sure, it was not quite as heavy as previous CF albums, but it still rocks ..

But regardless, great post

Don't get we wrong I can see why you dislike the turn the band took. I still dislike a lot of In Flames recent work because I will never fathom how they went from being melodic death metal Gods to...purveyors of the lowest and most bland forms of pop metal. Seriously...they left me cold rigid and yet, like you with Rush, nothing will change my devotion to their early sound, and I even like a couple of the nore recent works!

Same argument applies to Nightwish. If Tarja drew you in, of course her removal would see a decline in your interests!

• Like 1