How do you feel about the song "The Big Money"?

Texas King

How do you feel about Rush song "The Big Money"?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Rush song "The Big Money"?

• It's one of my fave Rush tunes, hands down.
    • It's not in the upper level of Rush songs but I like it pretty much.
    • It's the OK tune, but I'm not crazy about it.
    • I don't like it that much but there are many other Rush songs that are worse.
    • I hate it. It just sucks.
  2. 2. What grade would you give "The Big Money"?

For its era, one of their better efforts. But it can't touch the transcendence of the 2112-p/g era.
  • Like 1

Cool tune. I don't care for the synthesizers at the start and throughout, but once it gets going it's very enjoyable. Lee's voice is great in that song.

I'd like to hear a version without synths.

• Like 4

Cool tune. I don't care for the synthesizers at the start and throughout, but once it gets going it's very enjoyable. Lee's voice is great in that song.

Agree with all of that.

And a version without synths? That looks like a job for Superman aka MusicInTheAbstract, an old school TRFer who is capable of such magic. Haven't seen him in ages though.

• Like 1

I like it a lot but it's not in my top 10.

Acceptable, you won't be banished.

I love it.

It's not in my top ten, but it would make my top twenty.

A much better live experience than as a studio track, IMO.

I always found this song to be very cheesy for Rush musical standards.

AWAY WITH YOU...never darken this place again with your taint!

For its era, one of their better efforts. But it can't touch the transcendence of the 2112-p/g era.

• Like 2

Summer 1985 ... I had just graduated high school and was putting ads in the Aquarian music paper looking for other musicians to start a band with ..

I got together with a bassist named Ronnie, who, like me, was a big Rush fan .. We talked all the time about Rush, and about the changes in the band's sound and vibe - neither of us were crazy about it, but we were both excited about the new album that was coming out .. I remember hearing things about Rush returning to heavier sound, and we had hopes that this new album would put them back where they belong ..

Big Money was the first song I heard, and I remember calling Ronnie to talk about it .. We were mortified and agreed that was pretty much the end of Rush ..

Time really hasn't changed much in this regard

• Like 2

I don't like it all that much. I think Power Windows is a really strong album, but this is the weakest song on it.

I still have it a C, though. :huh:

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I don't like it all that much. I think Power Windows is a really strong album, but this is the weakest song on it.

I filed an application to have your membership suspended.

• Like 1

Weaker than Emotion Detector (bleh)?! Weaker than Middletown Dreams (double bleh)?! Pfffftttttt.....

If they re-did it without all the synch burps and squawks, it would have more redeeming value. but definitely not a go to tune for me.

The only redeeming thing about Rush's synth era was that it was better than becoming a 80s hair metal band or power ballad band.

Edited by HemiBeers

A perfect opener for one of their best albums, no games, no tricks, just three guys rocking out with like five or six instruments all at once.

I agree/disagree with so many of the comments. Geddy's voice is good on this song, but I never could get past the synths. I think Power Windows is one of their stronger albums, but "Big Money" always sounds like a pop song stuck in the 80's to me. Not one of my favorites, obviously.

After reading everyone else's comments, though, I wish I had had the chance to hear it live; it might have changed my mind. I'll have to give a live version a listen today.

Doomed to being banished by JohnRogers forever! :fuckinputer:

Better expedite it. :yes: Don't give him a chance to poison anyone else. :no: Remember: one rotten apple spoils the whole bunch.