How do you feel about the song "The Big Money"?

Texas King

How do you feel about Rush song "The Big Money"?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Rush song "The Big Money"?

• It's one of my fave Rush tunes, hands down.
    • It's not in the upper level of Rush songs but I like it pretty much.
    • It's the OK tune, but I'm not crazy about it.
    • I don't like it that much but there are many other Rush songs that are worse.
    • I hate it. It just sucks.
  2. 2. What grade would you give "The Big Money"?

Too synthy for my tastes. I think it would have been better if it weren't so synth saturated.

I came across a demo version of it on YouTube several years ago which - to my ears at least - sounded a lot better than the version that ultimately appeared on the album. It was less overwhelmingly synthy and somewhat more guitar driven. Still no gem in my opinion.

I think they just got way too synthy in the mid to late 80s, and so much of that sounds so cheesy and dated today (hell, it sounded cheesy back then).

Ironically their synth era stuff sounds more dated today than their late 70s stuff.

It's a decent song but it would have been better if it wasn't so synth saturated, IMHO.

But if you are partial to synth era Rush you will probably love it.

• Like 1

Too synthy for my tastes. I think it would have been better if it weren't so synth saturated.

I came across a demo version of it on YouTube several years ago which - to my ears at least - sounded a lot better than the version that ultimately appeared on the album. It was less overwhelmingly synthy and somewhat more guitar driven. Still no gem in my opinion.

I think they just got way too synthy in the mid to late 80s, and so much of that sounds so cheesy and dated today (hell, it sounded cheesy back then).

Ironically their synth era stuff sounds more dated today than their late 70s stuff.

It's a decent song but it would have been better if it wasn't so synth saturated, IMHO.

But if you are partial to synth era Rush you will probably love it.

So . . . what do you really think?

• Like 1

I can imagine geddy saying in interviews, "yeah, we been listening to starship a lot lately and we really like what they are doing" because !! we built this city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can imagine geddy saying in interviews, "yeah, we been listening to starship a lot lately and we really like what they are doing" because !! we built this city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a fine line between a synthy song and a shitty song. We Built This City crossed that line, Big Money didn't. :P

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Your thoughts?

This is an amazing RUSH song! I remember seeing the video on MTV for the first time and I almost had a stroke!

Once that album came out I learned it on the drums pronto. I already had cowbells on my kit. I had to adjust high toms and my cowbells to make it work.

I figured it out.

So fun to play to! Even today!!!

I love when Neil catches his drumstick and actually let's out a very rare chuckle.

He's my man.

Rush went bad by this point. they tried changing with the whole snyth pop thing and lost the edge they once had as a great 3 piece guitar driven rock band they once were! fact! a lot of real hard fans had left them at this point too! while their tours were still selling and they even got some new fan base during all this, it was evident that they had run dry and it wasn't working anymore, Their live act saved them though cause people loved neil and he was still regarded as an awesome drummer still. But fans who wanted stuff from caress of steel and hemispheres, were not happy at this point. so they split.

Unlike some people, I do not resort to homophobic slurs like the one below.

Me homophobic ? .. Now wouldn't that be the pot calling the kettle black

diatribein, ok, as I've said before, we're all Rush fans here and I like your passion

We're like a big, fun dysfunctional family here ... at least that's how I see it, and that's what makes it enjoyable

The broad, sweeping generalizations you have put in some of your posts are a bit over the top, but hey, that's your style, and that fine - you've got spunk

But speaking for myself, I come here for fun and to exchange opinions and ideas - on a good natured level

I'm here to learn stuff and I've sure learned a lot so far.

Rush went bad by this point. they tried changing with the whole snyth pop thing and lost the edge they once had as a great 3 piece guitar driven rock band they once were! fact! a lot of real hard fans had left them at this point too! while their tours were still selling and they even got some new fan base during all this, it was evident that they had run dry and it wasn't working anymore, Their live act saved them though cause people loved neil and he was still regarded as an awesome drummer still. But fans who wanted stuff from caress of steel and hemispheres, were not happy at this point. so they split.

People started leaving after the first album. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley were two of those people,

One of the better tunes from the synth era. It's a favorite of mine as well. Definitely a good track to open Power Windows and pretty good as a setlist opener. It's definitely above average for 80s Rush.