Could The Drum Fill By Phil Collins In The Classic Track "In The Air Tonight" Be Better Than Any Neil Peart Fill?

RUSHHEAD666

Just being cool watching "Risky Business" tonight and "In The Air Tonight" just played.

Damn, that song is soooooo overplayed like many tunes we all adore.

But shit, even if you aren't a drummer isn't that drum "PHIL" SO FUN TO "AIR" DRUM TOO? LOL!!!!

It's amazing.

You know I'm just fuckking with you Rush Fans. Life is boring now that our band is dead and gone.

Luckily the boys are still healthy and alive. That's all that matters now!

Personally I think Phil was right up there with Neil. Have you Rush Fruits ever picked up the Brand X album "Unorthodox Behavior?" The track "Nuclear Burn" with blown your mind out like a candle dripping with nitro glycerin.

Nothing can truly touch a classic Neil Peart fill, yet I'm always trying to be the devil's advocate. A "Double Agent?"

Phil Collins is so underrated.

No matter what you say or type, that "Phil" on "In The Air Tonight" is beyond GREAT!

I suppose the third drum fill on YYZ could be better.

Hmmmmmm...............

• Like 1

Okay Earl, using your same universe of buttons and advocates, I'm going to say Risky Business was more enjoyable than The Graduate. Though, like Collins & Peart, both films are quality classics.

Oh, and music by Tangerine Dream fits perfectly.

Signed,

Guido the Killer Pimp

:blaze:

• Like 2

Okay Earl, using your same universe of buttons and advocates, I'm going to say Risky Business was more enjoyable than The Graduate. Though, like Collins & Peart, both films are quality classics.

Signed,

Guido the Killer Pimp

Hahaaaa!!! That's a phrase (and a character) that I haven't heard in quite a long time.

I'm glad you're just messing with us, Earl. It's a fun tune and all, and Collins was a brilliant drummer. But the drumming in that particular song ain't no YYZ. Or even Different Strings. Or...

Signed,

Guido the Killer Pimp

Hahaaaa!!! That's a phrase (and a character) that I haven't heard in quite a long time.

I'm glad you're just messing with us, Earl. It's a fun tune and all, and Collins was a brilliant drummer. But the drumming in that particular song ain't no YYZ. Or even Different Strings. Or...

"Sometimes you gotta say, 'What the f**k'."

Just being cool watching "Risky Business" tonight and "In The Air Tonight" just played.

Damn, that song is soooooo overplayed like many tunes we all adore.

But shit, even if you aren't a drummer isn't that drum "PHIL" SO FUN TO "AIR" DRUM TOO? LOL!!!!

It's amazing.

You know I'm just fuckking with you Rush Fans. Life is boring now that our band is dead and gone.

Luckily the boys are still healthy and alive. That's all that matters now!

Personally I think Phil was right up there with Neil. Have you Rush Fruits ever picked up the Brand X album "Unorthodox Behavior?" The track "Nuclear Burn" with blown your mind out like a candle dripping with nitro glycerin.

Nothing can truly touch a classic Neil Peart fill, yet I'm always trying to be the devil's advocate. A "Double Agent?"

Phil Collins is so underrated.

No matter what you say or type, that "Phil" on "In The Air Tonight" is beyond GREAT!

I suppose the third drum fill on YYZ could be better.

Hmmmmmm...............

I just remembered, did you ever see the alternate (original) ending for Risky Business? I haven't but apparently you can check it out on the remastered edition.

Signed,

Guido the Killer Pimp

Agree about Tangerine Dream.

• Like 1

I hear that song, I think Miami Vice. Then I get all nostalgic for guys in pastel suits with t-shirts underneath and their sleeves pushed up to their elbows. Then I slap myself and shout 'NO'...Neil in his beanie is way better!

The black Ferrari was nice though.

Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 2

Any redeeming value that Phil's drumming had was flushed when he turned into a Bono-esque megalomaniac pop star.

Su...Su...sudio....su...su...sucks.

That opening drum fill on 'in the air tonight' could be played by anyone that can keep a beat. Not fast, not complicated at all.

Edited by HemiBeers

The song was great when it came out but yeah it's been massively overplayed. Phil was a great drummer but more basic than Neil.

Phil is the main reason I play music. He was the guy that got me real serious about, well, everything.

Maybe not as busy, but he certainly built his parts the same and was superior at improvising in the moment.

• Like 1

No. The drum fill in In the Air Tonight is cool and perfect for that song, but nothing like some of the Neil stuff. Example, as simple as it is, the five stroke rolls that come tumbling down after the first verse in Lakeside Park are way cooler than the fill by Phil.

Phil was a monster drummer in his time though... check out some Brand X.

• Like 1

"Could The Drum Fill By Phil Collins In The Classic Track "In The Air Tonight" Be Better Than Any Neil Peart Fill?", no not any; but many on the other hand...

The thing about the "in the air tonight" fill is you forget about the bass drum beat before each 'Tom' hits.. Makes it a little more interesting! Collins was a superb drummer, his early genesis work was up there with the best. Whatever you think of his pop career, and I think he wrote some great pop songs, his stature as a drummer should not be under estimated.