The 2017-2018 NHL Thread

blueschica

And will anyone in the NHL sign Jaromir Jagr??

Someone will sign him. He'll play one more season then hang them up.

I hope someone does! It was kind of funny last December; the 1991-1992 Stanley Cup Pens had a 25 year reunion and Jagr couldn't go because he had a game . . .

And will anyone in the NHL sign Jaromir Jagr??

Someone will sign him. He'll play one more season then hang them up.

I hope someone does! It was kind of funny last December; the 1991-1992 Stanley Cup Pens had a 25 year reunion and Jagr couldn't go because he had a game . . .

Must we start this thread with such unpleasant memories for the Blackhawks? ;)
  • Like 3

Pens to 3 peat? I would say damn near impossible...but they got Sid!!

I actually think they will win it again.

As talented as they are winning 3 in a row will be ridiculously difficult.

I don't see anyone matching up with them and they aren't the kind of team who plays down to lesser opponents.

I hate them. They are large group of douche c***suckers. But they sure do play good team hockey and the league loves them. They are Goliath with no David in sight.

I don't see anyone matching up with them and they aren't the kind of team who plays down to lesser opponents.

I hate them. They are large group of douche c***suckers. But they sure do play good team hockey and the league loves them. They are Goliath with no David in sight.

easy go hate winners. I get it.

The Penguins haven't been able to win again since the 2008-09 season with mostly the same cast, that's about eight years by my calculation, which tells me those guys are getting a bit old now. Also, playing so much hockey in the last two years will wear them down. Of course, if teams like the Capitals don't take their fingers out off their asses, Pittsburgh may have a chance to get to the big dance again, but winning it will surely be a tall order. The Hawks, with all the trouble they've had lately, will be able to beef up, using Hossa's money and challenge for the Cup.
  • Like 1

Or hate dickheads who just happen to be winners.

But it's easy to jump on the bandwagon of a winner. I get it.

The Penguins haven't been able to win again since the 2008-09 season with mostly the same cast, that's about eight years by my calculation, which tells me those guys are getting a bit old now. Also, playing so much hockey in the last two years will wear them down. Of course, if teams like the Capitals don't take their fingers out off their asses, Pittsburgh may have a chance to get to the big dance again, but winning it will surely be a tall order. The Hawks, with all the trouble they've had lately, will be able to beef up, using Hossa's money and challenge for the Cup.

Don't look for the Capitals to make any waves this year. They went all in last year and missed. They lost quite a bit to free agency and will take a step back next year and probably the few years after that. The Ovechkin and Backstrom contracts are going to hurt them as those two are both getting past their prime. They also paid too much for Oshie and for too long.

I am interested to see if young teams like Edmonton and Toronto can take the next step.

Edited by thesweetscience

I have been a Pens fan since around 1981, and i don't really see them as dickheads. Why do you? Because Crosby gets tired of all of the BS he deals with and calls the league out on it? So people label him a whiner? Same with Mario 20 years ago?

Sorry, but you just sound like a whiny fan who picks on the winners. And Crosby is a winner over and over and over, so it's easy for crybaby fans of other teams to find fault with him.

Edited by Mithrandir

I have been a Pens fan since around 1981, and i don't really see them as dickheads. Why do you? Because Crosby gets tired of all of the BS he deals with and calls the league out on it? So people label him a whiner? Same with Mario 20 years ago?

Sorry, but you just sound like a whiny fan who picks on the winners. And Crosby is a winner over and over and over, so it's easy for crybaby fans of other teams to find fault with him.

There are teams that win and don't get hate from fans of the other teams in the league. I didn't see the Kings and Blackhawks getting the hate that the Pens do. Few hockey fans hated the Habs, Isles and Oilers when they were winning Cups during their dynasty eras -- people probably hated that they were the only ones winning Cups in the '70s and '80s but those teams were easy to like and respect (though guys like Semenko could get under your skin).

These days, outside of Pittsburgh there aren't a lot of Pens fans out there. People admire their talent and ability to win, but they hate them because they play dirty and whine when other teams play dirty against them. That sense of entitlement is annoying.

• Like 4

Speaking of the Pens, this photo of Marc Andre Fleury (and Calvin Pickard) has been making the rounds in Pittsburgh. Looks like the Vegas practice jerseys are taking awhile to arrive!

http://i.imgur.com/RKfBPS2l.png

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Speaking of the Pens, this photo of Marc Andre Fleury (and Calvin Pickard) has been making the rounds in Pittsburgh. Looks like the Vegas practice jerseys are taking awhile to arrive!

It was good to see Marc so open to going to Vegas. He's won some Cups, and now he gets to be a starter on a new team. Guy's a professional.

And I kinda like the Vegas uniforms.

• Like 2

It was good to see Marc so open to going to Vegas. He's won some Cups, and now he gets to be a starter on a new team. Guy's a professional.

Yeah, I like the dark gray/black! You can see Fleury's wearing the pads-but I guess we'll have to wait for a jersey pic.

• Like 1

There are teams that win and don't get hate from fans of the other teams in the league. I didn't see the Kings and Blackhawks getting the hate that the Pens do. Few hockey fans hated the Habs, Isles and Oilers when they were winning Cups during their dynasty eras -- people probably hated that they were the only ones winning Cups in the '70s and '80s but those teams were easy to like and respect (though guys like Semenko could get under your skin).

These days, outside of Pittsburgh there aren't a lot of Pens fans out there. People admire their talent and ability to win, but they hate them because they play dirty and whine when other teams play dirty against them. That sense of entitlement is annoying.

The Oilers of the 80's had a huge sense of entitlement. Gretzky whined as much as, if not more, than Crosby. Were you watching hockey then? I was a big time hockey fan during the 80's and remember quite well the height of Gretzky's crybaby years.

The Oilers of the 80's had a huge sense of entitlement. Gretzky whined as much as, if not more, than Crosby. Were you watching hockey then? I was a big time hockey fan during the 80's and remember quite well the height of Gretzky's crybaby years.

Of course I watched hockey during those years. Yes, Gretzky was a crybaby but he wasn't also a sneaky dirty player like Crosby is.

• Like 3

Well he is going to get to start again. He was only going to play second fiddle to Murray in Pittspuke.
  • Like 1

Well he is going to get to start again. He was only going to play second fiddle to Murray in Pittspuke.

We were so lucky to have him when Murray got injured in the playoff run! Another reason a three peat would be hard.(Although not impossible! Pens still have the mighty Phil Kessel !)

Edited by blueschica

Latest odds to win the Cup: Pittsburgh 7-1, Edmonton 9-1, Chicago, Dallas 12-1, Anaheim, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Washington 14-1...Detroit 100-1 :P

Well I would hope the odds of Tampa be better than 14-1 odds. But in retrospect after last season I should be glad the Bolts are even on the list or not down there with Detroit :LOL:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2