houseofclouse

Caress has grown on me significantly over the years.

The next time I play a Rush record top to bottom, it'll probably be Caress of Steel.

I honestly wish I could place it a little bit higher, but their are other records that sound more polished from later in their discography.

Here's a hint about number 12. It came out after Test for Echo and it has one of Rush's best opening tracks to any of their albums.

Can you guess it?

SNAKES AND ARROWS

Although personally Caravan was a better opener.

We are now at number 12. Here is the album that brought Rush back to a level musically they had not been at in years.

Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, Superb

Each album will be rated on a scale of 1 to 10.

12. Snakes & Arrows

Year: 2007

Track Listing:

1. Far Cry

Far Cry is one of Rush's all time best opening tracks. It has great energy and an excellent chorus. Throw in Lifeson's guitar solo and you've got an all time great Rush track.

Grade: Superb

2. Armor & Sword

This song has great emotion and phenomenal melody. The guitar work is excellent as well. The guitar solo is awesome.

Grade: Great

3. Workin' Them Angels

This song is very well liked by many Rush fans. For me it's a solid track, but other than the phenomenal chorus, I don't think it's that great of a song.

Grade: Good

4. The Larger Bowl

This song has a catchy folk rock feel. For what it is, it's very good, but overall I'm not that into this one.

Grade: Above Average

5. Spindrift

This is a very psychedelic track with catchy guitar licks and odd vocals from Geddy. I like it just fine.

6. The Main Monkey Business

Wow, this song is amazing. It's my second favorite Rush instrumental. The guitar is fantastic as well as the other instruments.

7. The Way the Wind Blows

Those bluesy guitar riffs are killer on this track. The guitar solo is as well. This is definitely a Lifeson driven track.

8. Hope

This is a nice acoustic short instrumental piece that is a fun listen. Still, it is the weakest song on the album.

9. Faithless

Not a huge fan of the lyrics, but it does sound beautiful musically and is well written.

10. Bravest Face

I really like this song. The chorus is killer and the verses are very different, but they are extremely catchy.

11. Good News First

This is an odd sounding track. It has some cool parts though like the chorus and the guitar solo.

12. Malignant Narcissism

This may be a short instrumental, but it is fantastic for the duration it lasts. I really enjoy the bass work and the rhythm of the song.

13. We Hold On

We Hold On is a well placed closer and I love it's style as the last track on the album. It's upbeat and extremely catchy.

This album has good production, catchy choruses, and excellent instrumentals. It really sounds great and is the first Lifeson centered album since Counterparts. There's a lot of quality songs throughout and no bad tracks on the entire disc.

Rating: 8/10

Edited by houseofclouse

Here's a hint about number 12. It came out after Test for Echo and it has one of Rush's best opening tracks to any of their albums.

Can you guess it?

SNAKES AND ARROWS

Although personally Caravan was a better opener.

Caravan is killer as well, they're basically even

Snakes And Arrows grew on my massively last year. Definitely in the mood to try it again!

Snakes And Arrows grew on my massively last year. Definitely in the mood to try it again!

Let's see if you can guess number 11. It's somewhat of a polarizing album that some would say is one of Rush's worst albums and some regarded it as a return to form at the time of its release.

We are now at number 12. Here is the album that brought Rush back to a level musically they had not been at in years.

Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, Superb

12. Snakes & Arrows

Track Listing:

1. Far Cry

Far Cry is one of Rush's all time best opening tracks. It has great energy and an excellent chorus. Throw in Lifeson's guitar solo and you've got an all time great Rush track.

Using your scale, I'd say it's Above Average.

As far as being one of their all time best opening tracks, for me it's towards the bottom and barely beats out One Little Victory and Caravan.

12. Snakes & Arrows

Track Listing:

1. Far Cry

As far as being one of their all time best opening tracks, for me it's towards the bottom and barely beats out One Little Victory and Caravan.

I love it! As far as Rush in their comeback era goes, this song is probably my favorite from the period.

12. Snakes & Arrows

Track Listing:

1. Far Cry

I love it! As far as Rush in their comeback era goes, this song is probably my favorite from the period.

Under it all, what it really means is that I've liked all of Rush's opening tracks. Just at varying degrees.

We are now at number 11. This album is often criticized by fans for its inconsistency in track quality and its thin production. I personally enjoy it though.

11. Roll the Bones

Year: 1991

Track Listing:

1. Dreamline

Dreamline had that signature "Rush" sound that the band had not had since Moving Pictures. It's upbeat and has a great guitar solo. This is one of Rush's finest openers

2. Bravado

Bravado is my favorite track from the album. It is beautifully written with terrific melody and a great emotional guitar solo.

3. Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones is definitely a love or hate track. I absolutely love it. I even like the rap. It's hilarious. That guitar solo is excellent as well.

4. Face Up

This song is the least memorable from the album. It has a poppy chorus and a decent guitar solo, but that's it.

Grade: Average

5. Where's My Thing?

This is a good instrumental. It's very catchy and has great rhythm as well as catchy guitar riffs, synths and bass lines.

6. The Big Wheel

The Big Wheel has a pretty good chorus and is an enjoyable listen. The production is just underwhelming.

7. Heresy

Heresy is a bit of a bland listen. It's a decent song, but is somewhat boring to listen to.

8. Ghost of a Chance

Ghost of a Chance is a terrific song. It is such an emotional listen that just grows on me every time I listen to it.

9. Neurotica

Neurotica is a good track with a really catchy chorus that I can't help but sing along to. Plus, that guitar solo is on point.

10. You Bet Your Life

You Bet Your Life is probably my least favorite track on the album. It's okay, but I really don't dig this song.

Roll the Bones is a bit of a mixed album, but it's stronger songs are top notch. The Rupert Hine production is clean sounding, but is thin just like Presto. Overall, this album may be somewhat inconsistent, but its high points are fantastic.

Rating: 8/10

Bravado is my favourite song on this album.

I know for many this is a weaker album, it used to be for me as well, but nowadays it has become a real earworm. I play it the most of any Rush album nowadays. This year...pretty much the only Rush album to get several spins.

I know for many this is a weaker album, it used to be for me as well, but nowadays it has become a real earworm. I play it the most of any Rush album nowadays. This year...pretty much the only Rush album to get several spins.

It's a good album for me, but I will admit that there's some weak stuff.

Bones is second from the bottom of my Rush album list.

However, using your scale, I'd rate Dreamline and Bravado as "Superb" or at least "Great".

Where's My Thing is an underrated instrumental IMHO too. It'd be a strong "Good".

Those are my three standout tracks.

• Like 1

It's a good album for me, but I will admit that there's some weak stuff.

I am not the biggest fan of Face Up (but I no longer skip it, its a *good* song), Neurotica I now like more than I did and You Bet Your Life...weakest song? Yeah but...honestly don't hate it anymore.

But the rest of the album I love!

I would say the nearest to weak after those three is Heresy. But I like it a lot.

The great stuff vastly outweighs the good, and i really love the smooth, shiny production. It is perhaps the least Rush like album sound wise but I truly enjoy it.

Those first three songs, especially Bravado, rank very high on my list of top Rush songs. Oddly enough, majority of my favourite Rush songs are from Presto, Roll The Bones and the synth. Which is odd!

As I really hated synth era Rush at first.

However, using your scale, I'd rate Dreamline and Bravado as "Superb" or at least "Great".

Where's My Thing is an underrated instrumental IMHO too. It'd be a strong "Good".

Thanks for your thoughts! I will pe posting number 10 very soon.

• Like 1

I love this thread. Really reminds me of how great Rush are.

I haven't been into them for a long time and...reconnecting with them is really comforting! I forgot how amazingly precious they are!

• Like 1

When you are done I might give it a go, but review each album in order as I don't right now feel familiar enough to rank!
  • Like 1

RTB is my 2nd least favorite Rush album. My dislike of Heresy knocks it down quite a bit in my ratings. And while i do enjoy "You Bet Your Life" and "Face Up", they also keep RTB from being ranked higher.

Dreamline is a monster tune.

The Big Wheel is in my Top 15 Rush songs.

Digging the thread!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts! I will pe posting number 10 very soon.

And thanks for your thoughts! I'll be reading! And posting! :hail:

We are now at number 10. This album is the concept album that is likely to be the band's last release.

10. Clockwork Angels

Year: 2012

Track Listing:

1. Caravan

Rush has a way of making great openers and they've done it again. The guitar riffs are outstanding and the whole rhythm of the song flows really well.

2. BU2B

There are some excellent heavy guitar riffs here. The chorus is very catchy and Geddy's voice sounds solid.

3. Clockwork Angels

This is the most ambitious track Rush has done in a long time. It's big sounding with a very anthemic chorus. It works for me and is probably my favorite song from the album.

4. The Anarchist

This song seems to get high praise from many Rush fans, but for me this song as a whole is solid, but not great. Geddy pushes his vocal range too much as well.

5. Carnies

The guitar riff to open this track is sick. The lead upto the chorus is very catchy as well.

6. Halo Effect

Halo Effect is a more simple tune, but I enjoy it. It's a really solid track.

7. Seven Cities of Gold

This song has a really great chorus and I love its catchy bass lines. The story telling is also great as well.

8. The Wreckers

This song has another very catchy chorus accompanied by some really pleasant sounding guitar work.

9. Headlong Flight

The guitar riffs are phenomenal in this track. The guitar solo is also fantastic. Geddy's vocals are overproduced though.

10. BU2B2

I will not be grading this song because it's not anything more than a short interlude.

11. Wish Them Well

I love the lyrics to the song, but instrumentally it just doesn't have the punch of others on the album.

12. The Garden

The Garden is a beautiful song that is a perfect ending to this album. It has a great guitar solo, excellent melody and great atmosphere.

Clockwork Angels is a great album that feels wrong to put this far back, but that just speaks to how great the material ahead of this album is. There are plenty of unique and memorable tracks as well as terrific progressive music arrangements. The vocals are very inconsistent though (Understandably considering Geddy's age), but I can't just give him a pass. Also the overproduced vocals sound very artificial as well.

Rating: 8.5/10

Edited by houseofclouse