145 replies to this topic

#61 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 16 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Snakes And Arrows grew on my massively last year. Definitely in the mood to try it again!

Let's see if you can guess number 11. It's somewhat of a polarizing album that some would say is one of Rush's worst albums and some regarded it as a return to form at the time of its release.

Sponsored Post

#62 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

View Posthouseofclouse, on 16 August 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

We are now at number 12. Here is the album that brought Rush back to a level musically they had not been at in years.

Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, Superb
Each album will be rated on a scale of 1 to 10.

12. Snakes & Arrows
Year: 2007
Track Listing:

1. Far Cry
Far Cry is one of Rush's all time best opening tracks. It has great energy and an excellent chorus. Throw in Lifeson's guitar solo and you've got an all time great Rush track.

Grade: Superb

Using your scale, I'd say it's Above Average.
As far as being one of their all time best opening tracks, for me it's towards the bottom and barely beats out One Little Victory and Caravan.

#63 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

We are now at number 12. Here is the album that brought Rush back to a level musically they had not been at in years.

Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, Superb

12. Snakes & Arrows
Track Listing:

1. Far Cry
Far Cry is one of Rush's all time best opening tracks. It has great energy and an excellent chorus. Throw in Lifeson's guitar solo and you've got an all time great Rush track.

As far as being one of their all time best opening tracks, for me it's towards the bottom and barely beats out One Little Victory and Caravan.
I love it! As far as Rush in their comeback era goes, this song is probably my favorite from the period.

#64 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

View Posthouseofclouse, on 16 August 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

12. Snakes & Arrows
Track Listing:

1. Far Cry

I love it! As far as Rush in their comeback era goes, this song is probably my favorite from the period.

Under it all, what it really means is that I've liked all of Rush's opening tracks. Just at varying degrees.

#65 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

We are now at number 11. This album is often criticized by fans for its inconsistency in track quality and its thin production. I personally enjoy it though.

11. Roll the Bones
Year: 1991
Track Listing:

1. Dreamline
Dreamline had that signature "Rush" sound that the band had not had since Moving Pictures. It's upbeat and has a great guitar solo. This is one of Rush's finest openers

2. Bravado
Bravado is my favorite track from the album. It is beautifully written with terrific melody and a great emotional guitar solo.

3. Roll the Bones
Roll the Bones is definitely a love or hate track. I absolutely love it. I even like the rap. It's hilarious. That guitar solo is excellent as well.

Grade: Great

4. Face Up
This song is the least memorable from the album. It has a poppy chorus and a decent guitar solo, but that's it.

Grade: Average

5. Where's My Thing?
This is a good instrumental. It's very catchy and has great rhythm as well as catchy guitar riffs, synths and bass lines.

Grade: Good

6. The Big Wheel
The Big Wheel has a pretty good chorus and is an enjoyable listen. The production is just underwhelming.

Grade: Above Average

7. Heresy
Heresy is a bit of a bland listen. It's a decent song, but is somewhat boring to listen to.

8. Ghost of a Chance
Ghost of a Chance is a terrific song. It is such an emotional listen that just grows on me every time I listen to it.

9. Neurotica
Neurotica is a good track with a really catchy chorus that I can't help but sing along to. Plus, that guitar solo is on point.

10. You Bet Your Life
You Bet Your Life is probably my least favorite track on the album. It's okay, but I really don't dig this song.

Roll the Bones is a bit of a mixed album, but it's stronger songs are top notch. The Rupert Hine production is clean sounding, but is thin just like Presto. Overall, this album may be somewhat inconsistent, but its high points are fantastic.

Rating: 8/10

#66 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32236 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

Bravado is my favourite song on this album.

I know for many this is a weaker album, it used to be for me as well, but nowadays it has become a real earworm. I play it the most of any Rush album nowadays. This year...pretty much the only Rush album to get several spins.

#67 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 17 August 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

I know for many this is a weaker album, it used to be for me as well, but nowadays it has become a real earworm. I play it the most of any Rush album nowadays. This year...pretty much the only Rush album to get several spins.

It's a good album for me, but I will admit that there's some weak stuff.

#68 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Bones is second from the bottom of my Rush album list.

However, using your scale, I'd rate Dreamline and Bravado as "Superb" or at least "Great".
Where's My Thing is an underrated instrumental IMHO too. It'd be a strong "Good".

Those are my three standout tracks.

#69 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32236 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

View Posthouseofclouse, on 17 August 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 17 August 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

It's a good album for me, but I will admit that there's some weak stuff.

I am not the biggest fan of Face Up (but I no longer skip it, its a *good* song), Neurotica I now like more than I did and You Bet Your Life...weakest song? Yeah but...honestly don't hate it anymore.

But the rest of the album I love!

I would say the nearest to weak after those three is Heresy. But I like it a lot.

The great stuff vastly outweighs the good, and i really love the smooth, shiny production. It is perhaps the least Rush like album sound wise but I truly enjoy it.

Those first three songs, especially Bravado, rank very high on my list of top Rush songs. Oddly enough, majority of my favourite Rush songs are from Presto, Roll The Bones and the synth. Which is odd!

As I really hated synth era Rush at first.

#70 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

However, using your scale, I'd rate Dreamline and Bravado as "Superb" or at least "Great".
Where's My Thing is an underrated instrumental IMHO too. It'd be a strong "Good".

Thanks for your thoughts! I will pe posting number 10 very soon.

#71 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32236 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

I love this thread. Really reminds me of how great Rush are.

I haven't been into them for a long time and...reconnecting with them is really comforting! I forgot how amazingly precious they are!

#72 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32236 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

When you are done I might give it a go, but review each album in order as I don't right now feel familiar enough to rank!

#73 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1189 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

RTB is my 2nd least favorite Rush album.  My dislike of Heresy knocks it down quite a bit in my ratings.  And while i do enjoy "You Bet Your Life" and "Face Up", they also keep RTB from being ranked higher.

Dreamline is a monster tune.

The Big Wheel is in my Top 15 Rush songs.

Digging the thread!!!

#74 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

View Posthouseofclouse, on 17 August 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 August 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Thanks for your thoughts! I will pe posting number 10 very soon.

And thanks for your thoughts! I'll be reading! And posting! :hail:

#75 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

We are now at number 10. This album is the concept album that is likely to be the band's last release.

10. Clockwork Angels
Year: 2012
Track Listing:

1. Caravan
Rush has a way of making great openers and they've done it again. The guitar riffs are outstanding and the whole rhythm of the song flows really well.

2. BU2B
There are some excellent heavy guitar riffs here. The chorus is very catchy and Geddy's voice sounds solid.

3. Clockwork Angels
This is the most ambitious track Rush has done in a long time. It's big sounding with a very anthemic chorus. It works for me and is probably my favorite song from the album.

4. The Anarchist
This song seems to get high praise from many Rush fans, but for me this song as a whole is solid, but not great. Geddy pushes his vocal range too much as well.

5. Carnies
The guitar riff to open this track is sick. The lead upto the chorus is very catchy as well.

6. Halo Effect
Halo Effect is a more simple tune, but I enjoy it. It's a really solid track.

7. Seven Cities of Gold
This song has a really great chorus and I love its catchy bass lines. The story telling is also great as well.

8. The Wreckers
This song has another very catchy chorus accompanied by some really pleasant sounding guitar work.

9. Headlong Flight
The guitar riffs are phenomenal in this track. The guitar solo is also fantastic. Geddy's vocals are overproduced though.

10. BU2B2
I will not be grading this song because it's not anything more than a short interlude.

11. Wish Them Well
I love the lyrics to the song, but instrumentally it just doesn't have the punch of others on the album.

12. The Garden
The Garden is a beautiful song that is a perfect ending to this album. It has a great guitar solo, excellent melody and great atmosphere.

Clockwork Angels is a great album that feels wrong to put this far back, but that just speaks to how great the material ahead of this album is. There are plenty of unique and memorable tracks as well as terrific progressive music arrangements. The vocals are very inconsistent though (Understandably considering Geddy's age), but I can't just give him a pass. Also the overproduced vocals sound very artificial as well.

Rating: 8.5/10

Edited by houseofclouse, 17 August 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#76 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

Bones has a lot of sentimental value for me.. I'd just turned 21 when it came out. Loved the tour. I was living in FL going to school . Had a fun girlfriend and was lovin' life.

Lots of great songs on that record. A few weak ones too, but the strong ones carry it, for me.

#77 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostMystic Slipperman, on 17 August 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Bones has a lot of sentimental value for me.. I'd just turned 21 when it came out. Loved the tour. I was living in FL going to school . Had a fun girlfriend and was lovin' life.

Lots of great songs on that record. A few weak ones too, but the strong ones carry it, for me.

I agree with you about this record. The great tracks have a way of out weighing the lesser ones. That is why it is number 11 on my countdown.

#78 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Did a huge binge on Rush.  and it's funny all that time away and my favs are still what they are.

meaning my top 5 albums would be this.

1. Hold Your Fire
2. Hemispheres
3. Permanent Waves
4. Presto
5. Signals.

it's amazing how literally nothing shifted, lol

Mick

#79 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 17 August 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Did a huge binge on Rush.  and it's funny all that time away and my favs are still what they are.

1. Hold Your Fire
2. Hemispheres
3. Permanent Waves
4. Presto
5. Signals.

Mick

LOL sometimes that happens!

If I did a full-on binge now, I wonder if my rankings would change!

Seems like Perm Waves and HYF are always #1 and #2.

#80 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1189 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 17 August 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

1. Hold Your Fire
2. Hemispheres
3. Permanent Waves
4. Presto
5. Signals.

Mick
I would think that most long time Rush fans find that their favorite albums don't change over time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rush, Rush Albums Ranked, Progressive Rock, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart, Geddy Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users