145 replies to this topic

#121 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

View Posthouseofclouse, on 23 August 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

We are now at number 4. This is the best album from the synth era.

Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, Superb
Each album will be rated on a scale of 1 to 10.

4. Grace Under Pressure
Year: 1984
Track Listing:

1. Distant Early Warning
This song has a perfect blend of synths, guitar, and vocals to deliver a stellar track.

Grade: Superb

2. Afterimage
Afterimage has fantastic lyrics and synths. I love Geddy's vocals and I really enjoy the guitar solo.

3. Red Sector A
Another memorable lyrical beast from this album. Throw in the synths and guitar work and you have an awesome song.

4. The Enemy Within
The great reggae style guitar mixed with the fantastic chorus make this another synth heavy classic.

5. The Body Electric
This song has a great chorus and guitar solo, but the rest of the song is not great.

Grade: Good

6. Kid Gloves
Kid Gloves has a very unique guitar solo and a very catchy chorus. I really enjoy the guitar work throughout.

Grade: Great

7. Red Lenses
Red Lenses is a really odd track that reminds me of U2. It's a decent experimental tune.

Grade: Above Average

8. Between the Wheels
Now comes one of the strongest tracks from the album. It has a great opening synth line and great guitar work throughout.

Grace Under Pressure is an excellent release with great lyrics, guitar, synths, and production. The album is dark lyrically and is musically as good as synth rock gets.

Rating: 9.5/10

My #9. I like or love everything on GUP.

At the time Bones was new I read an article in which Geddy stated that Distant Early Warning is the ultimate Rush song because it ((and this part is paraphrased--->)) has the perfect mix of Rush at their best in all areas. That was a surprising thing to read from Geddy. It is an awesome, perfect 10 song for me though.

Sponsored Post

#122 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 August 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, Superb

4. Grace Under Pressure
Track Listing:

1. Distant Early Warning
This song has a perfect blend of synths, guitar, and vocals to deliver a stellar track.

2. Afterimage
Afterimage has fantastic lyrics and synths. I love Geddy's vocals and I really enjoy the guitar solo.

3. Red Sector A
Another memorable lyrical beast from this album. Throw in the synths and guitar work and you have an awesome song.

4. The Enemy Within
The great reggae style guitar mixed with the fantastic chorus make this another synth heavy classic.

5. The Body Electric
This song has a great chorus and guitar solo, but the rest of the song is not great.

6. Kid Gloves
Kid Gloves has a very unique guitar solo and a very catchy chorus. I really enjoy the guitar work throughout.

7. Red Lenses
Red Lenses is a really odd track that reminds me of U2. It's a decent experimental tune.

8. Between the Wheels
Now comes one of the strongest tracks from the album. It has a great opening synth line and great guitar work throughout.

Grace Under Pressure is an excellent release with great lyrics, guitar, synths, and production. The album is dark lyrically and is musically as good as synth rock gets.

At the time Bones was new I read an article in which Geddy stated that Distant Early Warning is the ultimate Rush song because it ((and this part is paraphrased--->)) has the perfect mix of Rush at their best in all areas. That was a surprising thing to read from Geddy. It is an awesome, perfect 10 song for me though.

It's my favorite from the album

#123 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

View Posthouseofclouse, on 23 August 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 August 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

4. Grace Under Pressure
Track Listing:

1. Distant Early Warning

2. Afterimage

3. Red Sector A

4. The Enemy Within

5. The Body Electric

6. Kid Gloves

7. Red Lenses

8. Between the Wheels

It's my favorite from the album

Same here.

#124 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

This is an interesting way to start off your time as a member here at TRF, I like the bravery and the honesty of your choices! I cannot say I agree with many of them, but your reasoning is respectable and, as Segue has mentioned, reminds me of why I personally rank Rush so highly. Nice to see a thread inspiring more love for Rush. Oddly they aren't popular topic around here these days, lol.

Anyway, some have posted their ranking in here, so I shall do the same. This is not reconsidered as it was carefully considered upon it's original creation, but perhaps someday in the more distant future it shall be. Until then...

1. A Farewell To Kings
2. Permanent Waves
2.5. Moving Pictures
2.75. Signals
3. 2112
4. Clockwork Angels
5. Power Windows
6. Hemispheres
7. Caress Of Steel
8. Grace Under Pressure
9. Snakes & Arrows / Vapor Trails
10. Presto
11. Hold Your Fire
12. Test For Echo
13. Fly By Night
14. Rush
15. Counterparts
16. Roll The Bones

#125 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 23 August 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

This is an interesting way to start off your time as a member here at TRF, I like the bravery and the honesty of your choices! I cannot say I agree with many of them, but your reasoning is respectable and, as Segue has mentioned, reminds me of why I personally rank Rush so highly. Nice to see a thread inspiring more love for Rush. Oddly they aren't popular topic around here these days, lol.

Anyway, some have posted their ranking in here, so I shall do the same. This is not reconsidered as it was carefully considered upon it's original creation, but perhaps someday in the more distant future it shall be. Until then...

1. A Farewell To Kings
2. Permanent Waves
2.5. Moving Pictures
2.75. Signals
3. 2112
4. Clockwork Angels
5. Power Windows
6. Hemispheres
7. Caress Of Steel
8. Grace Under Pressure
10. Presto
11. Hold Your Fire
12. Test For Echo
13. Fly By Night
14. Rush
15. Counterparts
16. Roll The Bones
It's been a fun and interesting task!

#126 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10808 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

View Posthouseofclouse, on 23 August 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 23 August 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

1. A Farewell To Kings
2. Permanent Waves
2.5. Moving Pictures
2.75. Signals
3. 2112
4. Clockwork Angels
5. Power Windows
6. Hemispheres
7. Caress Of Steel
8. Grace Under Pressure
10. Presto
11. Hold Your Fire
12. Test For Echo
13. Fly By Night
14. Rush
15. Counterparts
16. Roll The Bones
It's been a fun and interesting task!

HOC, I don't think I said welcome to the forum, but

WELCOME !!

#127 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1185 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

4. Grace Under Pressure
Track Listing:

1. Distant Early Warning

2. Afterimage

3. Red Sector A

4. The Enemy Within

5. The Body Electric

6. Kid Gloves

7. Red Lenses

8. Between the Wheels

GUP is a bit of an odd duck for me.  In my album rankings (rating the individual songs to get an overall album rating) GUP comes in at 8.  If I would rank the albums based on how much I want to listen to any given Rush album, GUP is near the bottom.  I think it's because there is no really weak song that I don't like (like Rivendell or Tai Shan, or Sweet Miracle) but not really any song that would be in my top 25 Rush songs.

Love the thread!!

#128 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

Welcome to the forum, House!  :)

#129 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3540 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

So this thread made me go to sleep to 2112 last night and kick off my morning with HYF. I discovered that High Water isn't entirely bland, it does have it's moments, so thanks.

#130 Chronos

Chronos

Up the irons, down the Lagavulin!

• Members *
  • 2778 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

Apparently I'm in a weird minority that views High Water as a highlight of the album.

#131 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3540 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

View PostChronos, on 24 August 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Apparently I'm in a weird minority that views High Water as a highlight of the album.

I believe the general complain is that it's somewhat samey and doesn't have a very strong melody (by 80s Rush standards) to adhere to, nor is an a great example of anyone's brilliant playing or songwriting abilities (though perhaps Neil's drums are more complex than they seem on first listen). At any rate, after Tai Shan, I think the stereotypical Rush fan comes to detest anything halfway resembling it that would follow it, and High Water does sound a little much like Tai Shan in the first place...

Nevertheless, it does have some interesting bits if one is actually listening. It's no Neurotica or Heresy (the song and literally).

#132 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

Sorry that I was unable to post today. I will be posting tomorrow number 3 and then 2 and 1 the following day.

#133 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

I love it.

#134 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:25 PM

View Posthouseofclouse, on 24 August 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Sorry that I was unable to post today. I will be posting tomorrow number 3 and then 2 and 1 the following day.
Posted Image

#135 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:34 PM

View Postgoose, on 24 August 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

I love it.

Except for Available Light, I like it more than any of the other closers that followed.
Yes, that includes The Garden which I also like.

Hold Your Fire is the last Rush album that I liked everything on it.

#136 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

We are now at number 3. This is considered by many to be the best Rush album.

3. Moving Pictures
Year: 1981
Track Listing:

1. Tom Sawyer
You've all heard it and it's fantastic. The lyrics and music blend perfectly to make a near perfect track.

2. Red Barchetta
My favorite from the album is definitely Red Barchetta. The story is excellent and I love the guitar solo.

3. YYZ
This instrumental is probably the 2nd best from the band. The musicianship is ridiculous.

4. Limelight
Another lyrical beast with excellent vocals and guitar work. The solo is also phenomenal.

5. The Camera Eye
This 11 minute epic starts slowly, but I still love its atmospheric feel throughout. It may not be their best epic, but it's definitely a top 15 Rush song for me.

6. Witch Hunt
Witch Hunt is the only thing about Moving Pictures that is always under appreciated. The eerie atmosphere of the track is so fitting.

7. Vital Signs
People will probably hate on this choice. Oh well, I've always thought this was a very average song. The chorus is very poorly sung and the track doesn't flow well at all.

Grade: Average

If Rush removed Vital Signs, this would be a perfect album, but it is still really strong. It has excellent choruses, memorable lyrics, and the musicianship is top notch as usual.

Rating: 10/10

#137 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7033 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

Hemispheres
A Farewell to Kings
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Caress of Steel
Power Windows
Fly by Night
Grace Under Pressure
Signals
Rush
Hold Your Fire
Counterparts
Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails
Snakes & Arrows
Presto
Roll the Bones
Test for Echo

#138 Texas King

Texas King

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1444 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

19.Test for Echo - 1.5 stars/5
18.Rush - no rating
17.Vapor Trails (original) - 1.5 stars
16.Roll the Bones - 2 stars
15.Hold Your Fire - 2.5 stars
14.Presto - 2.5 stars
13.Snakes & Arrows - 2.5 stars

12.Counterparts - 3.5 stars
11.Power Windows - 3.5 stars
10.Fly by Night - 3.5 stars
9.Clockwork Angels - 4 stars
8.Signals - 4 stars
7.Grace Under Pressure - 4 stars
6.Caress of Steel - 4 stars
5.2112 - 4 stars
4.Moving Pictures - 4.5 stars
3.A Farewell to Kings - 5 stars
2.Hemispheres - 5 stars
1.Permanent Waves - 5 stars

#139 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3540 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostTexas King, on 26 August 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

19.Test for Echo - 1.5 stars/5
18.Rush - no rating
17.Vapor Trails (original) - 1.5 stars
16.Roll the Bones - 2 stars
15.Hold Your Fire - 2.5 stars
14.Presto - 2.5 stars
13.Snakes & Arrows - 2.5 stars

12.Counterparts - 3.5 stars
11.Power Windows - 3.5 stars
10.Fly by Night - 3.5 stars
9.Clockwork Angels - 4 stars
8.Signals - 4 stars
7.Grace Under Pressure - 4 stars
6.Caress of Steel - 4 stars
5.2112 - 4 stars
4.Moving Pictures - 4.5 stars
3.A Farewell to Kings - 5 stars
2.Hemispheres - 5 stars
1.Permanent Waves - 5 stars

At last, we finally get a peek into the mind of TK.

#140 houseofclouse

houseofclouse

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

We are now at number 2. This is Rush's perfect blend of both progressive and radio friendly tracks.

2. Permanent Waves
Year: 1980
Track Listing:

1. The Spirit of Radio
It's a track that I literally never get sick of. It has amazing guitar work and a couple of awesome tempo changes.

2. Freewill
My favorite from the album is Freewill. The lyrics are great and the chorus may be Rush's best. I love the guitar solo.

3. Jacob's Ladder
Another Progressive epic. It clocks in at 7.5 minutes and the entire song is about a thunderstorm. It's mostly instrumental and the atmosphere it creates is fantastic.

4. Entre Nous
I really enjoy the lyrics to this song and I definitely enjoy how well this track flows.

5. Different Strings
The ballad from the album may be its weakest track but it's still really great. It has emotional lyrics and a terrific guitar solo.

6. Natural Science
This 9 minute epic has my favorite Rush guitar riff. It's guitar work is stellar as well as its multiple tempo changes. It was my favorite Rush song for awhile.

This is a perfect album. It has excellent choruses, memorable lyrics, and the musicianship is top notch as usual. The mix of progressive and radio friendly tracks is perfect for many listeners.

Rating: 10/10

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rush, Rush Albums Ranked, Progressive Rock, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart, Geddy Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users