houseofclouse

MARATHON MIGHT BE THE BEST RUSH SONG OF ALL TIME

We are now at number 7. This is the album that that turned everything around for the band.

Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, Superb

Each album will be rated on a scale of 1 to 10.

7. 2112

Year: 1976

Track Listing:

1. 2112

2112 is perhaps the most ambitious track Rush has ever done. You all know how it goes.

Grade: Superb

2. A Passage to Bangkok

Now comes the more commercial side of the disc. This track has a memorable chorus and a fantastic guitar solo.

Grade: Great

3. The Twilight Zone

This track shows the band's psychedelic side. It has some great guitar licks, a trippy chorus, and another great solo.

Grade: Good

4. Lessons

I like the blend of acoustic guitar with the heavier chorus. Geddy's vocals have so much passion and Lifeson's solo is good as well.

5. Tears

Tears has a really emotional chorus and some great lyrics. It's definitely softer, but the overall softer music really works on this track.

6. Something for Nothing

This is a great hard rocker. The vocals are so raw and the guitar work is top notch. I love the lyrical message as well.

2112 was the first album from Rush that was fantastic. The title track is one of their best songs of all time and side 2 definitely pales in comparison to side 1, but it's still really good.

Rating: 9/10

• Like 1

We are now at number 6. This is the album that put more emphasis on synths than ever before for the band.

Each track will be rated as follows: Awful, Very Poor, Poor, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Great, Superb

6. Signals

Year: 1982

Track Listing:

1. Subdivisions

Subdivisions utilizes powerful synths and lyrics to make one of Rush's classics.

2. The Analog Kid

I love the chorus and the terrific guitar solo. The song is one Rush's best from their synth period.

3. Chemistry

Chemistry is one of the more guitar driven tracks. It's catchy, memorable, and has an excellent guitar solo.

4. Digital Man

Digital Man is a really odd tune with great bass work and an amazing guitar solo. It doesn't flow as well as the others on the album, but it's really impressive musically.

5. The Weapon

The Weapon has some awesome synths and a really good chorus. The synth work is outstanding.

6. New World Man

New World Man is the most simple track from the album. It has catchy lyrics and is a fun song, but it's the least impressive from the album.

7. Losing It

Losing It is an awesome song with lots of emotion and a terrific violin solo. I love the lyrics as well.

8. Countdown

Countdown is a neat track. It has great atmosphere and synth work. It's a good song lyrically.

Signals is an album that is liked by most Rush fans, but there are those who see it as the first album that changed Rush for the worst. I really enjoy the entire album. The production is a bit underwhelming, but it's decent.

We are now at number 7. This is the album that that turned everything around for the band.

7. 2112

Track Listing:

1. 2112

2112 is perhaps the most ambitious track Rush has ever done. You all know how it goes.

2. A Passage to Bangkok

Now comes the more commercial side of the disc. This track has a memorable chorus and a fantastic guitar solo.

3. The Twilight Zone

This track shows the band's psychedelic side. It has some great guitar licks, a trippy chorus, and another great solo.

4. Lessons

I like the blend of acoustic guitar with the heavier chorus. Geddy's vocals have so much passion and Lifeson's solo is good as well.

5. Tears

Tears has a really emotional chorus and some great lyrics. It's definitely softer, but the overall softer music really works on this track.

6. Something for Nothing

This is a great hard rocker. The vocals are so raw and the guitar work is top notch. I love the lyrical message as well.

2112 was the first album from Rush that was fantastic. The title track is one of their best songs of all time and side 2 definitely pales in comparison to side 1, but it's still really good.

Overture and Temples are among my all time favorite pieces of music. And both of them performed live are always a highlight of the concert.

7. 2112

Track Listing:

1. 2112

2. A Passage to Bangkok

3. The Twilight Zone

4. Lessons

5. Tears

6. Something for Nothing

Overture and Temples are among my all time favorite pieces of music. And both of them performed live are always a highlight of the concert.

They are fantastic! I love both!

1. Counterparts

2. Snakes & Arrows

3. Power Windows

4. Signals

5. Hold Your Fire

6. Moving Pictures

7. Clockwork Angels

8. 2112

9. Permanent Waves

10. Hemispheres

11. A Farewell to Kings

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Fly By Night

15. RUSH

16. Presto

17. Caress of Steel

18. Test For Echo

19. Roll The Bones

1. Counterparts

2. Snakes & Arrows

3. Power Windows

4. Signals

5. Hold Your Fire

6. Moving Pictures

7. Clockwork Angels

8. 2112

9. Permanent Waves

10. Hemispheres

11. A Farewell to Kings

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Fly By Night

15. RUSH

16. Presto

17. Caress of Steel

18. Test For Echo

19. Roll The Bones

Reading from the top or the bottom of your list is like reading "from worst to best" but somehow...all the standard classics are in the middle.

Well done!

The most interesting list I have seen in ages!

We are now at number 5. This is the album that had a shift towards an even more progressive styling.

5. A Farewell to Kings

Year: 1977

Track Listing:

1. A Farewell to Kings

It begins with some great acoustic guitar, but is then amped up in heaviness. I love the chorus to the song more than any other part.

2. Xanadu

This 11 minute epic is fantastic. It has atmosphere, great guitar work, bass work and drumming. This is definitely top 10 Rush for me.

3. Closer to the Heart

Now comes the most catchy song from the entire album. I like the blend of acoustic and electric guitar. Lyrically it's fantastic.

4. Cinderella Man

Cinderella Man is catchy and has a memorable chorus and guitar solo, but the verses are forgettable. It's a good song though.

5. Madrigal

Rush shows their soft side with this short ballad. It fits pretty well here on the album, but as a stand alone track it is pretty average.

Grade: Average

6. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 is the 10 minute epic that is a 2 part epic that is continued on the next album. It's very progressive and has some of Rush's catchiest guitar riffs.

A Farewell to Kings is a fantastic album with a ton of progressive song writing. Every minute is not wasted on the album and every song is placed perfectly. This is an amazing listen.

Rating: 9.5/10

We are now at number 5. This is the album that had a shift towards an even more progressive styling.

5. A Farewell to Kings

Track Listing:

1. A Farewell to Kings

It begins with some great acoustic guitar, but is then amped up in heaviness. I love the chorus to the song more than any other part.

2. Xanadu

This 11 minute epic is fantastic. It has atmosphere, great guitar work, bass work and drumming. This is definitely top 10 Rush for me.

3. Closer to the Heart

Now comes the most catchy song from the entire album. I like the blend of acoustic and electric guitar. Lyrically it's fantastic.

4. Cinderella Man

Cinderella Man is catchy and has a memorable chorus and guitar solo, but the verses are forgettable. It's a good song though.

5. Madrigal

Rush shows their soft side with this short ballad. It fits pretty well here on the album, but as a stand alone track it is pretty average.

6. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 is the 10 minute epic that is a 2 part epic that is continued on the next album. It's very progressive and has some of Rush's catchiest guitar riffs.

A Farewell to Kings is a fantastic album with a ton of progressive song writing. Every minute is not wasted on the album and every song is placed perfectly. This is an amazing listen.

Hey, your #6 album is my #6. And now your #5 is my current #4 but sometimes it fluctuates at #5.

My weakest track is the same as yours, Madrigal. And I'd rate that the same too -- average.

My favorite track on here is without a doubt Xanadu BUT there are other Superb songs on here. In fact, I'd rate them all "Superb" except for the aforementioned Madrigal.

5. A Farewell to Kings

Track Listing:

1. A Farewell to Kings

2. Xanadu

3. Closer to the Heart

4. Cinderella Man

5. Madrigal

6. Cygnus X-1

Hey, your #6 album is my #6. And now your #5 is my current #4 but sometimes it fluctuates at #5.

My weakest track is the same as yours, Madrigal. And I'd rate that the same too -- average.

My favorite track on here is without a doubt Xanadu BUT there are other Superb songs on here. In fact, I'd rate them all "Superb" except for the aforementioned Madrigal.

Xanadu is my favorite as well!

I took a crack at updating my list (last did one in 2015 and many times prior....) It was interesting to note how some albums ranking had changed; there is certainly some "recency" effect in past lists. However, now in 2017, there is no such effect as I don't really listen to Rush frequently (almost not at all since the end of the last tour.) I would add that I actually love every album on the list; even Rush & Presto (my bottom two) have some charm and memory that I like; just relatively less so.

It would be interesting to do some statistical comparison between various people's lists - how much variation between rankings - to get an idea of who is most similar / different. Hmmm, how to do that?

1 MP

2 PeW

3 Hemispheres

4 Signals

5 2112

6 P/G

7 Clockwork Angels

8 Counterparts

9 Power Windows

10 A Farewell to Kings

11 Hold Your Fire

12 Snakes and Arrows

13 Test For Echo

14 Vapor Trails

15 Fly By Night

16 Caress of Steel

17 Roll the Bones

18 Rush

19 Presto

I rank mine but then I forgot the rankings. Not sure where my last one was posted here.. will have to look.

If I did it right now, it would be:

1 Permanent Waves

2 Hold Your Fire

3 Signals

4 Moving Pictures

5 Power Windows

6 Hemispheres

7. Grace Under Pressure

8 2112

9 Clockwork Angels

10 Roll The Bones

11 Counterparts

12 A Farewell to Kings

13 Fly By Night

14 Presto

15 Snakes and Arrows

16 Rush

17 Vapor Trails

18 Caress of Steel

19 Test For Echo

We are now at number 4. This is the best album from the synth era.

4. Grace Under Pressure

Year: 1984

Track Listing:

1. Distant Early Warning

This song has a perfect blend of synths, guitar, and vocals to deliver a stellar track.

2. Afterimage

Afterimage has fantastic lyrics and synths. I love Geddy's vocals and I really enjoy the guitar solo.

3. Red Sector A

Another memorable lyrical beast from this album. Throw in the synths and guitar work and you have an awesome song.

4. The Enemy Within

The great reggae style guitar mixed with the fantastic chorus make this another synth heavy classic.

5. The Body Electric

This song has a great chorus and guitar solo, but the rest of the song is not great.

6. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves has a very unique guitar solo and a very catchy chorus. I really enjoy the guitar work throughout.

7. Red Lenses

Red Lenses is a really odd track that reminds me of U2. It's a decent experimental tune.

Grade: Above Average

8. Between the Wheels

Now comes one of the strongest tracks from the album. It has a great opening synth line and great guitar work throughout.

Grace Under Pressure is an excellent release with great lyrics, guitar, synths, and production. The album is dark lyrically and is musically as good as synth rock gets.

• Like 3

Grace Under Pressure is one of the all time greatest albums.

Not sure why I don't rate it the highest...

• Like 1

4. Grace Under Pressure

Track Listing:

1. Distant Early Warning

This song has a perfect blend of synths, guitar, and vocals to deliver a stellar track.

2. Afterimage

Afterimage has fantastic lyrics and synths. I love Geddy's vocals and I really enjoy the guitar solo.

3. Red Sector A

Another memorable lyrical beast from this album. Throw in the synths and guitar work and you have an awesome song.

4. The Enemy Within

The great reggae style guitar mixed with the fantastic chorus make this another synth heavy classic.

5. The Body Electric

This song has a great chorus and guitar solo, but the rest of the song is not great.

6. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves has a very unique guitar solo and a very catchy chorus. I really enjoy the guitar work throughout.

7. Red Lenses

Red Lenses is a really odd track that reminds me of U2. It's a decent experimental tune.

8. Between the Wheels

Now comes one of the strongest tracks from the album. It has a great opening synth line and great guitar work throughout.

Grace Under Pressure is an excellent release with great lyrics, guitar, synths, and production. The album is dark lyrically and is musically as good as synth rock gets.

My #9. I like or love everything on GUP.

At the time Bones was new I read an article in which Geddy stated that Distant Early Warning is the ultimate Rush song because it ((and this part is paraphrased--->)) has the perfect mix of Rush at their best in all areas. That was a surprising thing to read from Geddy. It is an awesome, perfect 10 song for me though.

4. Grace Under Pressure

Track Listing:

1. Distant Early Warning

2. Afterimage

3. Red Sector A

4. The Enemy Within

5. The Body Electric

6. Kid Gloves

7. Red Lenses

8. Between the Wheels

At the time Bones was new I read an article in which Geddy stated that Distant Early Warning is the ultimate Rush song because it ((and this part is paraphrased--->)) has the perfect mix of Rush at their best in all areas. That was a surprising thing to read from Geddy. It is an awesome, perfect 10 song for me though.

It's my favorite from the album

4. Grace Under Pressure

Track Listing:

1. Distant Early Warning

2. Afterimage

3. Red Sector A

4. The Enemy Within

5. The Body Electric

6. Kid Gloves

7. Red Lenses

8. Between the Wheels

It's my favorite from the album

Same here.

This is an interesting way to start off your time as a member here at TRF, I like the bravery and the honesty of your choices! I cannot say I agree with many of them, but your reasoning is respectable and, as Segue has mentioned, reminds me of why I personally rank Rush so highly. Nice to see a thread inspiring more love for Rush. Oddly they aren't popular topic around here these days, lol.

Anyway, some have posted their ranking in here, so I shall do the same. This is not reconsidered as it was carefully considered upon it's original creation, but perhaps someday in the more distant future it shall be. Until then...

1. A Farewell To Kings

2. Permanent Waves

2.5. Moving Pictures

2.75. Signals

3. 2112

4. Clockwork Angels

5. Power Windows

6. Hemispheres

7. Caress Of Steel

8. Grace Under Pressure

9. Snakes & Arrows / Vapor Trails

10. Presto

11. Hold Your Fire

12. Test For Echo

13. Fly By Night

14. Rush

15. Counterparts

16. Roll The Bones

This is an interesting way to start off your time as a member here at TRF, I like the bravery and the honesty of your choices! I cannot say I agree with many of them, but your reasoning is respectable and, as Segue has mentioned, reminds me of why I personally rank Rush so highly. Nice to see a thread inspiring more love for Rush. Oddly they aren't popular topic around here these days, lol.

Anyway, some have posted their ranking in here, so I shall do the same. This is not reconsidered as it was carefully considered upon it's original creation, but perhaps someday in the more distant future it shall be. Until then...

1. A Farewell To Kings

2. Permanent Waves

2.5. Moving Pictures

2.75. Signals

3. 2112

4. Clockwork Angels

5. Power Windows

6. Hemispheres

7. Caress Of Steel

8. Grace Under Pressure

9. Snakes & Arrows / Vapor Trails

10. Presto