Le Studio burned down

Permanent-Rush

Who's to say the band or others that recorded there didn't try to do something or look into what it would cost to rebuild it?

I don't get the strong feelings some fans have for the place. They're not the ones who recorded there and had a connection with the building. Outside of this place, I couldn't name you a single studio any album I like was recorded in.

There is the obvious connection to Rush, but as I mentioned, I am a bit of a preservation fanatic in general .. I live in a house form 1850 that has been a passion for me to restore over time - and what went into building a place a Le Studio and all the good that came out of that place, it's a disgrace to see it come to this ..

Just watching the video and seeing the inside with all the graffiti and disrepair was sickening

Then again, this is coming from someone who shudders that the notion of putting recessed lighting in a historic home, not to mention tearing one down for modern condos

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I think it is pretty unfortunate that a place like this burnt down. I don't know if anybody else on here is doing this, but I'm listening to every Rush album recorded at Le Studio. So that would be Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Presto, Roll the Bones, and Counterparts.
  • Like 2

Is a f*ckin disgrace, in Britain that woulda been a listed building with its historical significance

Thought for years the guys, with all their money that the building helped generate for em, could've maybe chipped in and done something productive with the place. Like wtf all that money for.

If nothing else the place must have given them some great memories

I completely agree

I restore classic cars for a living, and I have a bit of an obsession with preserving historic sites - so this is inexcusable to me ..

I'm sure some the musicians who recorded at Le Studio were aware - does it not hold any importance ??

It doesn't even have to be sentimental - for f**k's sake, there are young bands that could have recorded there in the years to come ..

Imagine the money that could have been raised if some of the well known musicians went there for a day and made it look like they were volunteering to restore it ..

Very sad ... Pathetic effort on the part of a bunch of candy ass musicians

What if they didn't know? Can they be blamed if so?

If I weren't a TRFer I wouldn't have known.

If none of us made any effort to try and save it then how can we blame anyone else (who KNEW of its condition) for not doing anything either?

There is a clip of Neil walking around the abandoned studio talking about it - I forget which documentary

This just hits a sore spot with me

Ah ok.

And how about the rest of the music world?

Maybe it's not as important to Neil as it is to fans?

Neil even mentioned that it is his dream property. He truly did love the property

• Like 3

Is a f*ckin disgrace, in Britain that woulda been a listed building with its historical significance

Thought for years the guys, with all their money that the building helped generate for em, could've maybe chipped in and done something productive with the place. Like wtf all that money for.

I completely agree

I restore classic cars for a living, and I have a bit of an obsession with preserving historic sites - so this is inexcusable to me ..

I'm sure some the musicians who recorded at Le Studio were aware - does it not hold any importance ??

It doesn't even have to be sentimental - for f**k's sake, there are young bands that could have recorded there in the years to come ..

Imagine the money that could have been raised if some of the well known musicians went there for a day and made it look like they were volunteering to restore it ..

If none of us made any effort to try and save it then how can we blame anyone else (who KNEW of its condition) for not doing anything either?

There is a clip of Neil walking around the abandoned studio talking about it - I forget which documentary

Ah ok.

Neil even mentioned that it is his dream property. He truly did love the property

Well, he didn't seem to do anything about it.

Doesn't matter anymore.

• Like 1

I completely agree

Ah ok.

Well, he didn't seem to do anything about it.

Doesn't matter anymore.

we-can-rebuild-him.jpg

• Like 1

Your comment is debatable, according to this article here.

I get the sentiment. For avid fans and Rush itself, it's like having your childhood home burn down. But 99% of buildings have to have a modern purpose for existence or they become obsolete 'things'.

Around here, there was alot of anguish over tearing down some original buildings of our local university that I attended. They weren't being used and the preservationists were up in arms about it. But they had to either get torn down or require tons of money to make them current and usable...and there really wasn't a good use for them. Fortunately, the university created an alumni center that used a large portion of one of the old buildings, so that was a reasonable compromise. A similar dilemma is currently happening to a large old convent that is getting replaced due to age and downsizing by the nuns. Everyone wants to keep these old buildings but no one wants to put money into them. It doesn't work that way.

This contains a list of album recorded there. A history to be proud of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Studio

Perhaps it's not the buildings falling into disrepair that's upsetting, but coming to the realization that they no longer have a valid, useful purpose. LeStudio has been vacant for 10 years without finding a useful purpose for it. It's time to let it go.

Edited by HemiBeers

From Geddy lee

"I've spent so many hours in that room. You created your own world when you moved in there, and certainly the effect was felt on the records you made there," says Rush frontman Geddy Lee, remembering Quebec's legendary Le Studio. The Laurentian Mountains studio, where Rush recorded the video for "Tom Sawyer," was destroyed by an early morning fire today. Provincial police received a call about the blaze around 5:30 a.m., but when firefighters got to the studio, it was too late. Investigators with the Sûreté du Québec are working to determine the cause of the fire. ...

So sad ♥

• Like 1

There is a little article with new quotes from Geddy and old quotes from Neil at Rush's website- http://www.rush.com/...ring-le-studio/

There's a little sound clip from a new CBC radio interview that Geddy gave here- it is sweet- http://www.cbcmusic....uebec-le-studio

The Rush website says this about the whole interview- "You can tune in to hear the full interview Monday August 14th on CBC Radio One or the same day via cbc.ca/radio/q at 10:30 AM ET.

• Like 1

I think that the main undoing of Le Studio is what made it so attractive to musicians: its remote location.

It's not that close to Montreal, and can really only be accessed if you have your own vehicle.

If it was right downtown, I'm sure it would've been turned into a cool pub at the very least, or a coffee shop, or a poutinerie...

• Like 3

I think that the main undoing of Le Studio is what made it so attractive to musicians: its remote location.

It's not that close to Montreal, and can really only be accessed if you have your own vehicle.

If it was right downtown, I'm sure it would've been turned into a cool pub at the very least, or a coffee shop, or a poutinerie...

LeStudio's main undoing was technology.

• Like 4

So many terrible things going on in this world.

It's just a building.

• Like 2

Having lost everything in a house fire years ago I just picked up the pieces and started again.Let Studio is gone and there is not much to do about it but remember the great albums that were made there.
  • Like 2

I completely agree

This ^^

You're worth $100m+ and you cant collectively restore an iconic building that helped you generate such great music and wealth?

Single thing i disappointed in the guys about loved these men for decades like my own family but jeez, you f*ckin minted, you shoulda sorted Le Studio out years ago

Now it's a burned out wreck

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 2

I completely agree

This ^^

You're worth $100m+ and you cant collectively restore an iconic building that helped you generate such great music and wealth?

Single thing i disappointed in the guys about loved these men for decades like my own family but jeez, you f*ckin minted, you shoulda sorted Le Studio out years ago

Now it's a burned out wreck

On that note, should they restore every building (if they're dilapidated) that played a part in their history?

No, only Le Studio.

Permanent waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts

The British studios for Hemispheres/Farewell To Kings more than ok dont worry about em

Jesus, these guys got more money than sense, what was the problem?

No, only Le Studio.

Permanent waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts

The British studios for Hemispheres/Farewell To Kings more than ok dont worry about em

Whether or not these guys have money, it's a bad financial investment. Fix up the studio and then do what with it? Suppose nobody wants to record there? It is in a remote location maybe bands don't want to bother going there. Especially if they have their own studio or can do it for much cheaper locally.Then what purpose would restoring it serve? Now they have a property that's not being used that they are responsible to maintain and pay taxes on.

They may love the place and have great memories of it. But those memories aren't worth them potentially being stupid with their money.

• Like 1

No, only Le Studio.

Permanent waves

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts

Whether or not these guys have money, it's a bad financial investment. Fix up the studio and then do what with it? Suppose nobody wants to record there? It is in a remote location maybe bands don't want to bother going there. Especially if they have their own studio or can do it for much cheaper locally.Then what purpose would restoring it serve? Now they have a property that's not being used that they are responsible to maintain and pay taxes on.

They may love the place and have great memories of it. But those memories aren't worth them potentially being stupid with their money.

It doesn't necessarily have to be about money

It's about getting involved and doing something that makes a difference - for the better

It's not simply about a building that had fallen into disrepair - it is about having pride and doing something positive with the gifts you've been afforded ..

For the members of Rush, as an example, I hold nothing against them ... But I would be lying if I said that it wouldn't have impressed me for one or all three of them to have gone up there - if only for a day - just to try to generate some interest in restoring the place ....

What's done is done

We can now all go back to our wine tasting parties

• Like 1