Meet-and-Greet

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Meet&Greet (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you pay $40 USD for a brief meet-and-greet (maybe 30 seconds). It includes one photo with them and one item to be autographed by all three.

1. Yes (18 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (12 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 edhunter

edhunter

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1719 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

If the money goes to them, no. If it goes to a charity of my choice, still no.

Sponsored Post

#22 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

$40 for a photo AND signed item with all three would be a steal in today's world.  They'd have to pay Neil seven figures to get him to do it though.

Even if you ran into them in public, you'd still be lucky to get a full minute of their time and they wouldn't look any more excited in the photo to have met you.  Only exception might be Alex since he seems a bit more outgoing.

#23 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

This thread hypothetical isn't about what THEY would do or that it'd never happen or bla bla bla, it's about what YOU would do for the rate and terms I suggested.

#24 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostLucas, on 09 August 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

Absolutely yes

I have dozens of autographed photos from celebs that I have met at various conventions and shows - it's always fun .. some more than others, but given the chance to meet Geddy, Alex and Neil, it would be a blast - even for less than a minute

You'll like this--this thread was inspired from a recent article I read which partly discussed meet-and-greets with a few members of AKB48. Apparently, that rate is ¥3500...about $35-40 USD. But it's just the greeting and photo. And it's a mere few seconds and that's it.

The article talked about the bulk of the attendees: junior high/high school girls and middle aged, single men.

No I won't and didn't go and no I'm not making fun of you Lucas.  ;)

#25 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5531 posts
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

Absolutely.  I pay $40 for a damn concert tee...so sign  me up.

#26 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

Yes in heartbeat. I know Alex and Ged did it for years and actually seemed to enjoy it. For a photo and a handshake and saying thank you I would pay more that $40. Alex is such a goof and still seems surprised that people love them. I just watched the scene from I love You Man where they get caught backstage by the band. If they hadn't eaten Neil's sandwich, I think it would have been sweet.

#27 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10784 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 August 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

Absolutely yes

I have dozens of autographed photos from celebs that I have met at various conventions and shows - it's always fun .. some more than others, but given the chance to meet Geddy, Alex and Neil, it would be a blast - even for less than a minute

You'll like this--this thread was inspired from a recent article I read which partly discussed meet-and-greets with a few members of AKB48. Apparently, that rate is ¥3500...about $35-40 USD. But it's just the greeting and photo. And it's a mere few seconds and that's it.

The article talked about the bulk of the attendees: junior high/high school girls and middle aged, single men.

:lol:

JB, don't forget about the biggest part of the AKB48 fan interaction - the handshake events .. Certain CD releases have tickets that allow you to go and meet your favorites members ... and this is free, so long as you buy the CD ... It's a great marketing ploy and is part of the entire accessibility they want to portray .. They have these events often ..

Posted Image

I'd love to go .. it's all in good fun, with any celeb

You remember my Manute Bol story :lol:

And Nici Sterling

Edited by Lucas, 09 August 2017 - 10:14 PM.

#28 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

View PostLucas, on 09 August 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

Absolutely yes

JB, don't forget about the biggest part of the AKB48 fan interaction - the handshake events .. Certain CD releases have tickets that allow you to go and meet your favorites members ... and this is free, so long as you buy the CD ... It's a great marketing ploy and is part of the entire accessibility they want to portray .. They have these events often ..

Posted Image

And Nici Sterling

The article I mentioned was talking about Japanese adult male attitude trends toward dating in that many (upwards to over 50%) don't want to bother, calling it troublesome. Soooo, many of them (mainly middle aged) find escape in the youthful, cutesy, pure-presented J-pop idol members. Some of those idols themselves have admitted that it's a bit creepy that male fans as old as their dads would be that devoted. But hey, I guess "10 bucks is 10 bucks". Or, in this case, 40 bucks.

#29 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 09 August 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

It would be much better to meet one of them out in public in a chance encounter. I'd love to run into Alex at a guitar shop and talk some gear talk with him.

Of course it'd be better to meet one of them out in public in a chance encounter...except for at the urinals.

Despite everyone needing to take a piss at some point, it'd still be kind of weird standing next to Geddy while taking care of #1.

Hold Your Fire!

#30 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10784 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 August 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 09 August 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

Absolutely yes

Posted Image

And Nici Sterling

The article I mentioned was talking about Japanese adult male attitude trends toward dating in that many (upwards to over 50%) don't want to bother, calling it troublesome. Soooo, many of them (mainly middle aged) find escape in the youthful, cutesy, pure-presented J-pop idol members. Some of those idols themselves have admitted that it's a bit creepy that male fans as old as their dads would be that devoted. But hey, I guess "10 bucks is 10 bucks". Or, in this case, 40 bucks.

The whole idea of meeting a celebrity in a canned environment is a little awkward to begin with .. Whatever the case, it is a promotional or money making endeavor, so right there, it's different than just seeing someone on the street ..

But no matter what, the celebrity ( whoever it may be ) is just a regular person under all the hype - and I think, in my experience, they appreciate sincerity and respond to it ..

#31 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

Sure I would. People pay a lot more than that to have their picture taken with celebrities at conventions.

#32 Laurabw

Laurabw

The Seeker

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:golf, hockey, skiing, ballet

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:13 PM

I did get to meet Alex and Getty for free when I won the Sirius Townhall thing, but of course Neil was not there.  But yeah I would pay 40 bucks to meet those two again and Neil too.

#33 garyg7133

garyg7133

The Seeker

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Nope. The $40 wouldn't make a difference. I learned the hard way that sometimes you just don't want to meet certain famous people. I'd like to keep my image of Geddy and Alex being decent guys untarnished. I'm sure Neil wouldn't even show up for that matter. Met one of my bass idols at a meet and greet and he was rather drunk and was a complete jerkoff (to put it mildly) to me. Luckily one of his band mates completely made up for it by being completely awesome and very generous with his time.

#34 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

View Postgaryg7133, on 15 August 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

Nope. The $40 wouldn't make a difference. I learned the hard way that sometimes you just don't want to meet certain famous people. I'd like to keep my image of Geddy and Alex being decent guys untarnished. I'm sure Neil wouldn't even show up for that matter. Met one of my bass idols at a meet and greet and he was rather drunk and was a complete jerkoff (to put it mildly) to me. Luckily one of his band mates completely made up for it by being completely awesome and very generous with his time.

This is a fantasy land scenario so there's no case of Neil not showing up. There is no "Neil wouldn't show up." He shows up because I told him to! I'm guessing that wouldn't make a difference to you but I thought I should clarify. :yes:

#35 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10784 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

Met one of my bass idols at a meet and greet and he was rather drunk and was a complete jerkoff (to put it mildly) to me. Luckily one of his band mates completely made up for it by being completely awesome and very generous with his time.

Gary, you can't keep us in suspense  

Who was it ??

#36 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostLucas, on 15 August 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

Met one of my bass idols at a meet and greet and he was rather drunk and was a complete jerkoff (to put it mildly) to me. Luckily one of his band mates completely made up for it by being completely awesome and very generous with his time.

Who was it ??

I'd guess Jack Bruce but if it were Jack he probably would've been name dropped.

#37 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3763 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

Who was it ??
Sounds like an interesting guessing contest for a poll.

#38 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

View PostHemiBeers, on 15 August 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Who was it ??

I'm pre-guessing that Andy Summers was completely awesome

:P

#39 garyg7133

garyg7133

The Seeker

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 16 August 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 15 August 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Who was it ??

I'm pre-guessing that Andy Summers was completely awesome

:P
That is actually probably true as I bet he would be, BUT at the risk of being labeled a total chode, Ross Valory of Journey was the reason I STARTED playing bass. The bass line from Stone In Love was the first one I ever learned (albeit incorrectly at the age of 18). Fast forward to...jeez, 12 years ago my wife and I go to see them at PNC in NJ and my buddy calls as we're leaving the venue and says don't leave, we're heading to the after party. We get back there and the guys just sort of casually stroll in. It was mostly their families who had flown in because it was one of the last shows of the tour. Everybody is just kinda hanging around and the guys are making their rounds. I walk over to Ross who was literally standing by himself and say hello and shake his hand. Before I can get a word out he starts bitching me out because when I shook his hand his shot of whatever cat pee he was drinking got on his other hand. I wanted to crawl away. My wife said she literally was dying watching this go down.  Luckily Deen Castronovo and my wife  came over and literally grabbed me and walked back to the table and hung out with my wife and myself for quite a while. Funny side story here, but Steve Augeri was fronting the band at the time and my buddy took me over to introduce me to him and he said " oh yeah, I remember you" I was like huh? " yeah man, I remember you from Future Star right?" Future Star was a studio on Staten Island where I used to occasionally rehearse. one night my drummer wanted to go across the hall because Tyketto were rehearsing and he was a big fan. We hung out for about 20 minutes. 20 minutes and Augeri remembers me almost 17 years later....

#40 garyg7133

garyg7133

The Seeker

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 15 August 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

This is a fantasy land scenario so there's no case of Neil not showing up. There is no "Neil wouldn't show up." He shows up because I told him to! I'm guessing that wouldn't make a difference to you but I thought I should clarify. :yes:
  Got it, but still, I don't think it'd be worth it. Something tells me he'd just be a grouch.  From the very few interactions with Geddy and Alex I've ever heard about I'm told they are nice to the fans that they meet and I'd like to keep that image intact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users