Blackhawks analyst Ed Olyczk announces he has colon cancer...

laughedatbytime

http://www.chicagotr...0808-story.html

Blackhawks and NBC national hockey analyst Eddie Olczyk said he has been diagnosed with colon cancer.

Olczyk, 50, said in a statement released by the Hawks that he is undergoing treatment for the disesase and hopes to be back in the broadcast booth soon.

"I have been working with outstanding health care professionals and expect to be back in the broadcast booth after I complete my treatment," Olczyk said in the statement. "Having the support and encouragement from my family, the Chicago Blackhawks organization, NBC Sports and all my friends and fans means the world to me and will give me continued strength to beat this. My family and I appreciate privacy during this time as we focus our attention on my treatments."

Hawks team physicain Dr. Michael Terry said in a statement that Olczyk recently had surgery to remove a tumor and will undergo chemotherapy to treat the cancer. Terry did not put a timetable on Olczyk's recovery but said: "We look forward to his return to good health after the completion of his treatment."

Olczyk has been the analyst on Hawks games alongside play-by-play partner Pat Foley since the 2006-07 season. Before his career in the booth, Olczyk served as coach of the Penguins for parts of two seasons after a decorated career in the NHL, including multiple seasons with the Hawks.

Olczyk, a native of Chicago, was the third overall pick in the 1984 entry draft and played in the NHL from 1984 through the 1999-00 season. He played parts of five seasons with the Hawks and started and ended his NHL career with the Hawks.

He tallied 342 goals and 452 assists in 1,031 NHL games. He became a Stanley Cup champion with the Rangers in 1994.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

I don't like the way he does Hawks games, always trying to take the other team's point of view, but that's no reason not to wish him well. Hope you beat this crap, Eddie. Edited by blackhawkrush
  • Like 1

I don't like the way he does Hawks games, always trying to take the other team's point of view, but that's no reason not to wish him well. Hope you beat this crap, Eddie.

Yes, I should have included my.well wishes, not that he reads this. This is a heinous disease and I hope he kicks its ass, no pun intended.

Edited by laughedatbytime