RIP Don Baylor, 68...1979 AL MVP

laughedatbytime

A great player for many years (though he'd never win MVP with his style of play in the era of sabermetrics), who passed away from cancer at the age of 68. He was the king of the HBP in his era, and had 338 HR and 1276 RBI before going on to manage, including being the first manager of the Colorado Rockies, leading them to the playoffs in only their third year.

Once again, it was cancer that cost Baylor his life, far too early.

RIP, Don :rose:

• Like 2

After the Senators moved to Texas in 71' I was resigned to the fact that as a young child who loved baseball I would have to watch the O's for years to get my baseball fix. I'll never forget Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell's nickname for Mr. Baylor. RIP to "The Groove"....
  • Like 1

After the Senators moved to Texas in 71' I was resigned to the fact that as a young child who loved baseball I would have to watch the O's for years to get my baseball fix. I'll never forget Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell's nickname for Mr. Baylor. RIP to "The Groove"....

Earl Weaver's 70s teams weren't a bad consolation prize.

• Like 1

Little League, collecting and trading baseball cards and baseball in general were a huge part of my childhood, and guys like Don Baylor are etched in my memories forever ..

68 is too young, damn

RIP Mr Baylor

• Like 1

An integral part of the Red Sox' 1986 team. They were a fun team, and he was said to have been a big reason why.

Didn't he come up big in the ALCS?

Darren Daulton has also died from brain cancer at the age of 54. He was a pretty good player in his day.

Yes (he got his own thread, BTW)

An integral part of the Red Sox' 1986 team. They were a fun team, and he was said to have been a big reason why.

Huge. He hit .346 and homered in the 9th in game 5 when the Sox were facing elimination.

I thought I'd remembered something big but I wasn't sure it was that big. Dave Henderson got most of the credit (and should have) but he wasn't the full story.

• Like 1

Darren Daulton has also died from brain cancer at the age of 54. He was a pretty good player in his day.

Yes (he got his own thread, BTW)

Oops. Missed it.

NP.... :cheers:

Huge. He hit .346 and homered in the 9th in game 5 when the Sox were facing elimination.

I thought I'd remembered something big but I wasn't sure it was that big. Dave Henderson got most of the credit (and should have) but he wasn't the full story.

Henderson's was more dramatic, and in hindsight has the Donnie Moore angle, but Baylor's saved the season.

At the time, at least.

Henderson's was more dramatic, and in hindsight has the Donnie Moore angle, but Baylor's saved the season.

At the time, at least.

Since Baylor's HR directly led to the chain of events which resulted in the Cubs getting Al Nipper and Calvin Schiraldi (sp?), one can hardly consider it any way but negatively.

At the time, at least.

Since Baylor's HR directly led to the chain of events which resulted in the Cubs getting Al Nipper and Calvin Schiraldi (sp?), one can hardly consider it any way but negatively.

You spelled Schiraldi right. He was stud before that WS. Another guy completely destroyed by the limelight.