Marco Minnemann and Alex

In case it wasn't noticed and I haven't seen anything on TRF about it, Marco Minnemann has a new CD out with our own Alex playing on 3 tracks and Joe Satriani on 4. I don't know quite what make of his music based on limited listening but for those of you who are interested. It's called Barrago and is available on Marco's website or Lazybones Music.
  • Like 5

Minneman is great. I would recommend to check out also Levin/Minneman/Rudess. They have two albums out, and Minneman plays guitars and drums on both.

I think Tony Levin is on the new album too

• Like 1

Ordered a signed version of this before I even knew Alex and Satch were on it.(Guess that's called added value.) Like the first disc so far. Haven't gotten to the second yet.

Have his two previous solo albums (signed.) Both Levin Minnemann Rudess CDs (Play live please!) and a live Aristocrats CD.

Love the guy. Very talented. Zappaesque too. Love his guitar work (and the guy is an amazing drummer!)

He was my choice for Dream Theater drummer but we know how that worked out.

• Like 1

I don´t think Marco wanted that role, and auditioned to bump his profile with all the exposure he got. I had barely heard of him before that audition, even though he´d played with Paul Gilbert before. He did quite well though, and would have been my choice too, based on the final cut of the auditions. I believe there was a lot more than they showed us, and that they were set on Mangini before the whole process began.In the audition episodes you get the impression that Virgil Donati was insecure and made mistakes, but that was only because he composed something rather intricate for Dance of Eternity - a song that was already complicated to start with. I think thta technically, Virgil is the best of the guys who auditioned, but what I saw in those episodes got me rooting for Marco or Thomas Lang.
  • Like 1

I don´t think Marco wanted that role, and auditioned to bump his profile with all the exposure he got. I had barely heard of him before that audition, even though he´d played with Paul Gilbert before. He did quite well though, and would have been my choice too, based on the final cut of the auditions. I believe there was a lot more than they showed us, and that they were set on Mangini before the whole process began.In the audition episodes you get the impression that Virgil Donati was insecure and made mistakes, but that was only because he composed something rather intricate for Dance of Eternity - a song that was already complicated to start with. I think thta technically, Virgil is the best of the guys who auditioned, but what I saw in those episodes got me rooting for Marco or Thomas Lang.

I'm going to grab that off of the shelf again. It's been a while since I've watched it. You're right though, I think it was heavily edited since it was put together after Mangini got the gig.

If I'm honest though, Mangini is the right guy for the band. (Always was.) He's from their generation and has a similar music vision.

I was hoping for a guy who would push them instead of going for the guy in their comfort zone, but it's not my band obviously.

• Like 1

I was so excited to hear guitar tracks on this album featuring Satch and Lifeson.

I went on Pledge Music and bought an autographed copy.

I was so pumped to hear some amazing drumming and guitar wizardry!!!

FUKKKKK!

This album is a piece of shit.

I want my money back!!!!!

Marco has no sense of melody in his records. He has horrific vocalists. It's shite.

So bummed.

That's life.

Life is a cash grab.

Steer away from this album.

One of the worst albums I have ever listened to.

I haven have a Marco tee shirt.

Anyone want to buy this bundle package of shit?

Junk

• Like 1

I was so excited to hear guitar tracks on this album featuring Satch and Lifeson.

I went on Pledge Music and bought an autographed copy.

I was so pumped to hear some amazing drumming and guitar wizardry!!!

FUKKKKK!

This album is a piece of shit.

I want my money back!!!!!

Marco has no sense of melody in his records. He has horrific vocalists. It's shite.

So bummed.

That's life.

Life is a cash grab.

Steer away from this album.

One of the worst albums I have ever listened to.

I haven have a Marco tee shirt.

Anyone want to buy this bundle package of shit?

Junk

thanks for the heads up.... I was very curious (still will find a download). Bummer. I love Marco in The Aristocrats (we wrote some killer instrumental for those albums) and Steve Wilson (of course.) He puts out soooooo many solo albums; surely experiemental, but also no quality control....

• Like 1

He puts out soooooo many solo albums; surely experiemental, but also no quality control....

As someone mentioned a few posts up, Marco's solo work is just too zany to wrap my brain around. Mind you, I spend much of my college years listening to Zappa, jazz, and classic prog.

It's obvious he's milking his post-SW fame for as much as it's worth. The Aristocrats are mostly the result of the bump SW's affiliation provided them. We'll see if they have enough momentum and traction on their own to sustain the smallish following they've found, but I'm highly doubting it. Talent alone doesn't sell records or draw people to shows. Youtube is chock full of talent that gets a hundred hits. They're not catchy or writing meaningful tunes, they're hack jazz musicians playing weirdo rock.

• Like 1

Fwiw, as a musician I like The Aristocrats but only purchased one of their albums, downloaded the others. I rarely play any of them as I don't find it alluring (for casual consumption) and at best it's good commute/driving music. Govan's guitar playing on SW's stuff was tempered, purposeful, and sometimes masterful, but left to his own designs he's a wandering noodle. It just has no pleasing form. It's wankery personified. There's plenty of good bassists and drummers in rock and jazz, I don't personally find Marco or what's his name to be best at either in any genre. It's three highly skilled musicians who got lucky and rode their wave. That wave crashed when they lost their SW connection. Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I like the Aristocrats (Not a Govan or Beller fan I was in it for Marco and the music is pretty good for what it is) but I like Marco's solo albums better and I was in on Borrego before I even found out Alex and Satch were on it (they were only on a few songs anyway, Marco plays pretty much everything else.)

I had no idea he was with Steven Wilson but that doesn't matter to me either.

While I'd probably like to see him with Levin and Rudess live it would be a great consolation prize for me if he put a band together and hit the road himself, but I doubt that will ever happen in the US. If the Aristocrats can do shows here, (they're better live) don't see why Marco can't.