Fishing Stories?

Indica

Sometimes a few of us in the Random samples will highjack a thread and start talking about fishing. So I figured we could make a thread in the sporting section so we won't have to highjack threads. We can post pictures, fishing stories, and tell what the biggest fish you ever caught before. It might catch on, it might not. I'm sure troutman has some cool pictures to share with us. I will find some to post also. I'm looking forward to see some big fish pictures and fishing stories. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 26 2005, 08:25 PM)
Sometimes a few of us in the Random samples will highjack a thread and start talking about fishing. So I figured we could make a thread in the sporting section so we won't have to highjack threads. We can post pictures, fishing stories, and tell what the biggest fish you ever caught before. It might catch on, it might not. I'm sure troutman has some cool pictures to share with us. I will find some to post also. I'm looking forward to see some big fish pictures and fishing stories.  1022.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif hey my intentions were not to highjack anything laugh.gif just a coming back to the forum chat. but yes this would be cool cool.gif I have alot of pics. but they are mostly on negatives, sent most of the originals to friends and relatives over the yrs. I will try to find time to dig them out and get copy's. but this will be cool I think. Good idea trink39.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/icantspell.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/blues-brothers-the-unplugged-bw-370.jpg

Great topic!

I love to fish even if I mostly suck at it. I really only fish for bluegill and bass and have no success fishing for catfish.

Abbout the only story I have is one time where I was fishing for bluegill with bee moths and this big-ass pike roaming the bank - I could see him clearly - took my bait and cut my line three times in a row before I had the good sense to move elsewhere. He must have been hungry to keep taking that little-bitty bait. I didn't even know Pike would go after that.

Unfortunately for him, he also wound up with three hooks in his craw. I'm sure they would probably work themselves out over time, but I did feel kind of badhe wound up with a mouthful of metal.

O well, it was his own damn fault!

smile.gif

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Sep 27 2005, 12:38 AM)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/shanny66/bass.jpg

These are the kinda fish I like to catch  yes.gif

Largemouth Bass

Sometimes called the Bucketmouth..no wonder  wink.gif

Are girls allowed to be here?  unsure.gif

only if you drink beer rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Sep 27 2005, 01:38 AM)

These are the kinda fish I like to catch yes.gif

Largemouth Bass

Sometimes called the Bucketmouth..no wonder wink.gif

Are girls allowed to be here? unsure.gif

The more the merrier!! I love catching largemouths also!!! And smallmouths!! I have a few cool unbelievable fishing stories and pics that I will post. I have to get in the mood to rehash them though. Some of these stories are crazy!! I don't even have to make them up ahahaha. laugh.gif

I LOVE fishin!

I just dont like to bait my hook unsure.gif

http://p.webshots.com/ProThumbs/87/55787_wallpaper280.jpg

<--------------------------it was this big-------------------------->

Honest ;-)

Here is a pike I caught, I never took it out of the water, I used pliers to get the hook out of his mouth so I wouldn't remove much protective slim from it and it could live a long long time and someone else can catch it later. biggrin.gif

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2466/minipicture0178ad.jpg

QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 27 2005, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Sep 27 2005, 12:38 AM)

These are the kinda fish I like to catch  yes.gif

Largemouth Bass

Sometimes called the Bucketmouth..no wonder  wink.gif

Are girls allowed to be here?  unsure.gif

only if you drink beer rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif

*******SIGH*******

I've been an angler for 30 years; smallmouth are my faves.

My top 3 "WANTS"are Northern Pike, Tarpon, and Barracuda.

But I don't like beer... unsure.gif so I guess I'm out http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/Rhiannon_of_Rivendell/sad-smiley-067.gif

Wait...

What if I don't drink beer; but I can do tequila shots?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/Rhiannon_of_Rivendell/General/tequila.jpg

Who's got the limes?

I got some sea salt here...

Ok Let'see.. first of all I have caught a fish on a fly rod for 18 sraight months and for Alaska that is pretty cool. We had a mild winter last year so we were able to fish all winter which actually was better than this summer laugh.gif Anyway, I was out last friday trying to keep the streak alive and was fishing a local stream that flows out of a hatchery here in town and has some really nice Trout.This stream has alway's givin me fitts I have hooked alot of fish but never landed any which was quite frustrating.The water temperature stays warm enough to flow all year around. It was about 28 degrees outside and there were some Silver Salmon still running I was amazed to see that, but was also excited because that means trout will be hanging around. Well, I spooked a couple of nice fish at the same time freezing my ass off!! but the trout keep you going so I kept trying and I was fishing a deep pool that had a couple of Salmon it it and a few trout. I was using an Egg Pattern and hooked what I thought was a huge rainbow turned out it was a nice 8lb. Salmon. I was a little disapointed that it wans't a trout but it kept the streak alive. Well, I decided to change flies and put on a Sculpin, that didn't work so I tried an egg sucking leech no luck put on a Prince nymph,nothing. At this point my hands were so cold I could barely even change flies, plus my reel and line were feezing up so I could not reel the line in. I decided to try one more fly before getting to a warm truck. I went with the classic Beadhead "Gold ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph" and the second cast my rod just bent over with a serious tug and I had hooked a nice fat 18" Rainbow.I was freaking out thinking I might lose this one as all of the previous times before, I fought him out of a log jam and was able to land him down stream about 50 yds. from where I had hooked up.I was so pumped up and no longer as cold as I thought laugh.gif Anyway, here he is and the streak continues. Next up December wish me luck!!!

troutman trink39.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/IMGP0378.jpg

Edited by troutman

Great story troutman.

When I lived in Ohio I did something like that when I caught a Bass in every month of the year. It's not easy to catch bass in December and Jan in Ohio. But I found a small stream that ran out of the water department and the water was warm all year round for some reason so thats the only way I caught bass in December and Jan but it still counts right? lol

QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 26 2005, 06:19 AM)
Great story troutman.

When I lived in Ohio I did something like that when I caught a Bass in every month of the year. It's not easy to catch bass in December and Jan in Ohio. But I found a small stream that ran out of the water department and the water was warm all year round for some reason so thats the only way I caught bass in December and Jan but it still counts right? lol

Thanks, a little long but sometimes it is hard to tell a story like that and keep it short. And yes, that does count. That would be cool to catch a few Bass in the middle of winter cool.gif trink39.gif By the way, how is that Gremlin Running new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I have my one fishing story.

4 years ago my family rented a cottage (gone there every year since). Well, on our 2nd last night, well afternoon, my dad saw something splashing around in the water not to far from the dock, so he grabbed a fishing rod, and me, gave me the rod and put me at the end of the dock while he went to go get another beer. Well I stood there for maybe 2 miniutes before something grabbed onto my hoo (which was baited by Hot Dog). Well, I started reeling it in, then it started swimming twords me... and under the dock. My rod was bent in half... and broke! That fish was huge, must have been a 5 lb bass.

All I have now is a broken fishing rod somewhere in the garage as my only memory of that day.

*This story is too insane to be made up. Trust me!*

QUOTE (rushengal @ Nov 26 2005, 11:32 AM)
I have my one fishing story.

4 years ago my family rented a cottage (gone there every year since). Well, on our 2nd last night, well afternoon, my dad saw something splashing around in the water not to far from the dock, so he grabbed a fishing rod, and me, gave me the rod and put me at the end of the dock while he went to go get another beer. Well I stood there for maybe 2 miniutes before something grabbed onto my hoo (which was baited by Hot Dog). Well, I started reeling it in, then it started swimming twords me... and under the dock. My rod was bent in half... and broke! That fish was huge, must have been a 5 lb bass.

All I have now is a broken fishing rod somewhere in the garage as my only memory of that day.

*This story is too insane to be made up. Trust me!*

rofl3.gif that's awesome new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif you are not the first person to have a rod broken sad.gif it is just a total shock when it happens you stand there in disbelief and wonder what happen what did I do wrong? Plus you lose the fish and will alway's wonder how big it was. Well, at least your dad still had his beer trink39.gif Great story!!!

I was doing some catfishing at this pay lake I used to go to when I was around 15 and I would have my parents drop me and my friend off and we would fish from like 9 pm to 9 am in the morning. We had a lantern and we always built a nice fire, brought food, sleeping bag and we would sit around listening to Rush waiting on the fish to bite.

I always had pretty nice fishing poles to use but my dad just bought a really expensive rod and reel combo and I wanted to use his new one so he let me use it and he told me to leave the bail open if I think I am going to go to sleep because the catfish will drag the rod into the lake. I have seen other people lose their rods by walking away to take a piss and they leave the bail open. I usually always left the bail open anyway, I just put a rock on the line right by the reel, i did this to keep the line nice and tight but if the fish took off with my bait then it just pulled the line out from under the rock. Or another trick I always opened the bail, put a rock on the line by the reel, then lifted the tab of a soda can and put the fishing line around the tab, then set the can by some rocks so if the fish took off with my bait then it would knock the can over and you could hear this from like 50 feet. So I would cast out 2-3 fishing poles and you wouldnt even have to pay attention to the poles until you hear the can fall.

Anyway, I didn't open the bail because I had the poles sitting real close and I was laying on my sleeping bag. I fell alseep, and forgot about it.......My dad came to pick us up about 7am and we were both sleeping. He woke us up and we started getting our gear together. He asked me "Wheres my new pole"??? I thought he was tricking me, and he hid the pole to teach me a lesson for falling asleep. When he started acting mad then I figured he wasn't joking around.

My dad asked me which direction I casted on his pole and I pointed a directed, "that way"........ I thought we would never see the pole again........He added some more sinkers and a couple of hooks so it would stay on the bottom and snag anything in its path. He cast in the direction and on the first cast it appeared he snaged a HUGE fish!!!! I didn't catch any all night and he cast one time and has a fish...... Well, he fought this fish for a good 10 minutes because he didn't want to lose it because he insisted it was a fish which was dragging his pole around the lake..... HE WAS RIGHT!!! He snagged the tip of his new rod, I grabbed the rod and fought for a good 20 more minutes and reeled in a 20 lb shovelhead catfish.

I always opened my bail after that, no matter if I was close or not. yes.gif

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 22 2005, 08:24 PM)
I was doing some catfishing at this pay lake I used to go to when I was around 15 and I would have my parents drop me and my friend off and we would fish from like 9 pm to 9 am in the morning. We had a lantern and we always built a nice fire, brought food, sleeping bag and we would sit around listening to Rush waiting on the fish to bite.

I always had pretty nice fishing poles to use but my dad just bought a really expensive rod and reel combo and I wanted to use his new one so he let me use it and he told me to leave the bail open if I think I am going to go to sleep because the catfish will drag the rod into the lake. I have seen other people lose their rods by walking away to take a piss and they leave the bail open. I usually always left the bail open anyway, I just put a rock on the line right by the reel, i did this to keep the line nice and tight but if the fish took off with my bait then it just pulled the line out from under the rock. Or another trick I always opened the bail, put a rock on the line by the reel, then lifted the tab of a soda can and put the fishing line around the tab, then set the can by some rocks so if the fish took off with my bait then it would knock the can over and you could hear this from like 50 feet. So I would cast out 2-3 fishing poles and you wouldnt even have to pay attention to the poles until you hear the can fall.

Anyway, I didn't open the bail because I had the poles sitting real close and I was laying on my sleeping bag. I fell alseep, and forgot about it.......My dad came to pick us up about 7am and we were both sleeping. He woke us up and we started getting our gear together. He asked me "Wheres my new pole"???  I thought he was tricking me, and he hid the pole to teach me a lesson for falling asleep. When he started acting mad then I figured he wasn't joking around.

My dad asked me which direction I casted on his pole and I pointed a directed, "that way"........ I thought we would never see the pole again........He added some more sinkers and a couple of hooks so it would stay on the bottom and snag anything in its path. He cast in the direction and on the first cast it appeared he snaged a HUGE fish!!!!  I didn't catch any all night and he cast one time and has a fish...... Well, he fought this fish for a good 10 minutes because he didn't want to lose it because he insisted it was a fish which was dragging his pole around the lake..... HE WAS RIGHT!!!  He snagged the tip of his new rod, I grabbed the rod and fought for a good 20 more minutes and reeled in a 20 lb shovelhead catfish.

I always opened my bail after that, no matter if I was close or not.  yes.gif

That's a great story Indy new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Do you have bite alarms or baitrunner reels over there?

Occasionally I do night time Carp fishing and they are essential yes.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Dec 22 2005, 05:58 PM)

Anyway, I didn't open the bail because I had the poles sitting real close and I was laying on my sleeping bag. I fell alseep, and forgot about it.......My dad came to pick us up about 7am and we were both sleeping. He woke us up and we started getting our gear together. He asked me "Wheres my new pole"???  I thought he was tricking me, and he hid the pole to teach me a lesson for falling asleep. When he started acting mad then I figured he wasn't joking around.

My dad asked me which direction I casted on his pole and I pointed a directed, "that way"........ I thought we would never see the pole again........He added some more sinkers and a couple of hooks so it would stay on the bottom and snag anything in its path. He cast in the direction and on the first cast it appeared he snaged a HUGE fish!!!!  I didn't catch any all night and he cast one time and has a fish...... Well, he fought this fish for a good 10 minutes because he didn't want to lose it because he insisted it was a fish which was dragging his pole around the lake..... HE WAS RIGHT!!!  He snagged the tip of his new rod, I grabbed the rod and fought for a good 20 more minutes and reeled in a 20 lb shovelhead catfish.

Yes, I saw them before but I don't even use them. I mostly fish for Bass anymore and only go catfishing once every couple years.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 24 2005, 07:21 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Dec 22 2005, 05:58 PM)

Yes, I saw them before but I don't even use them. I mostly fish for Bass anymore and only go catfishing once every couple years.

Okey dokey biggrin.gif

I don't blame you only Cat fishing once every couple of years...those things are ugly muthas laugh.gif

Man... I can't wait till this season. I gave up on fishing for awhile. I had fished for two years on a near daily basis with my cousin who was more a brother to me. He died a few years ago and since we fished EVERYWHERE it got to be a pain. Even my kids would be crying when we'd think about Tom. I'm not saying that any of us won't still remember him, but we all miss fishing and Tom wouldn't want us to stop on his account anyway. I already have a bunch of new gear on layaway for this year. Needed everything. I lost so much shit in the last few moves. Hope to be sharing stories soon. My buddy wants to take me ice fishing this year and THAT will be something totally new for me. I'll post that experience when it happens.

Few weeks ago, well maybe bout a month ago now

Me & my brother were surfcastin off the beach & i caught my biggest fish ever in my life!!

i was sooooo excited!!! common001.gif

it was bout 4ft long & it was a SHARK!!!

it was called a sand shark, I couldnt believe it!

i was so mad i didnt bring my camera angry.gif

later that night i was talkin to SlackABob on the phone and he totaly

dissed my fish sayin it was "ONLY" a dog fish & it was no biggy eh.gif

& that they suck lol

We ended up throwin it back in the Sound ( Long Island Sound)

and right after that i caught a Sea Robin wacko.gif blahhhh

those are the grossest things i eva saw & they even make these strange noises unsure.gif

anyhowz thats my fish story & im still Excited every time i think bout how

it felt reelin in that HUGE laugh.gif shark yes.gif

I love fishin!!! common001.gif

Wow!

A fishing thread!!!!!!

I'm a committed trout and pike angler, but at the moment, river and lake fishing in Ireland is average, especially coarse fishing. This is mainly down to people taking fish for culinary purposes. Some great Pike lakes around Galway are empty, as Pike is seen as a highly desirable fish by the Eastern European and Brazilian communities. The government has recently passed laws allowing anglers to take no more than 1kg of coarse fish flesh, length restrictions apply.

Hopefully this will work, but it's going to take time.

Luckily for me, my father in law knows every scrap of land like the back of his hand, and knows where the last few un-touched lakes are, so last Saturday we caught 6 pike in 4 hours, one a fine fish of 9lbs.

Still waiting to break the 20lb barrier!!

Tight lines everyone!