New Car Shopping

edhunter

I have NEVER really shopped for a car. Every car I have ever owned since I was 18 was pretty much the only one I looked at at the time. I'm planning to possibly buy my first ever new car this month. If I go new, it'll most likely be a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Kia Soul or Forte, or comparable Mazda, Hyundai or Mitsubishi. If I go with a 2015, that may open up mid-size possibilities. I haven't really considered any American models, so don't tell my Teamster bosses. They're actually sending a reporter to do an interview with me about something else soon.

The plan for new is to spend the month testing all new models, decide what I want, and then play 2 or 3 dealers against each other to see how motivated they are to clear a 2017 off the lot.

The used plan may take longer because dealers arent under as much pressure to get them off the lot.

Here's the curveball I came across today. A fully loaded, brand new 2016 Kia Sedona. Its initial sticker is $44,180 which is more than double what I was looking to spend. But the damn thing only had 13 miles on it, so it had never even been test driven. How does a car like that sit untouched on the lot for 2 years? I thought Sedonas were in demand, no?

Part of me wants to see if he'll take 25 grand and zero percent financing. My FICO is over 800 so financing won't be an issue. Is that crazy?

So who likes what?

Edit: Just for reference, my current vehicles are an '02 Grand Am I bought in 2011 for $2500, and an '05 Grand Caravan bought in '08 for 14K. I paid cash for each. They have 190K and 210K miles, respectively.

Edited by edhunter

My last two cars were Nissans. I had a 1990 Maxima (bought it used in '93, kept it until 2006), and currently drive a 2006 Altima, which I bought brand new. I've yet to make any major repairs to the Altima -- only normal maintenance. The Maxima lasted for 240,000 miles, and the drive train was still in tip-top shape when I finally got rid of it. I've had super good luck with Nissan.

Kia and Hyundai have real good reps for dependability. Mazda's been catching my eye lately, but I don't know much about them.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 1

My last two cars were Nissans. I had a 1990 Maxima (bought it used in '93, kept it until 2006), and currently drive a 2006 Altima, which I bought brand new. I've yet to make any major repairs to the Altima -- only normal maintenance. The Maxima lasted for 240,000 miles, and the drive train was still in tip-top shape when I finally got rid of it. I've had super good luck with Nissan.

Kia and Hyundai have real good reps for dependability. Mazda's been catching my eye lately, but I don't know much about them.

I've had a Hyundai since 2010 and have had no repairs that weren't covered by warranty. If mileage is important you can't do better than what I get out of my Hyundai. And while the exchange rate may influence things differently now than 7 years ago, it was about $2000 less than anything comparable in sedans.

I have a Mazda 3 that I love. It was the only car in its class that I could get my legs in and not hit the steering column with my knees. I had a Hyundai years ago that was a nightmare but I hear they're better now. I drove a Kia Soul as a rental for a month and loved it.

I have NEVER really shopped for a car. Every car I have ever owned since I was 18 was pretty much the only one I looked at at the time. I'm planning to possibly buy my first ever new car this month. If I go new, it'll most likely be a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Kia Soul or Forte, or comparable Mazda, Hyundai or Mitsubishi. If I go with a 2015, that may open up mid-size possibilities. I haven't really considered any American models, so don't tell my Teamster bosses. They're actually sending a reporter to do an interview with me about something else soon.

The plan for new is to spend the month testing all new models, decide what I want, and then play 2 or 3 dealers against each other to see how motivated they are to clear a 2017 off the lot.

The used plan may take longer because dealers arent under as much pressure to get them off the lot.

Here's the curveball I came across today. A fully loaded, brand new 2016 Kia Sedona. Its initial sticker is $44,180 which is more than double what I was looking to spend. But the damn thing only had 13 miles on it, so it had never even been test driven. How does a car like that sit untouched on the lot for 2 years? I thought Sedonas were in demand, no?

Part of me wants to see if he'll take 25 grand and zero percent financing. My FICO is over 800 so financing won't be an issue. Is that crazy?

So who likes what?

Edit: Just for reference, my current vehicles are an '02 Grand Am I bought in 2011 for $2500, and an '05 Grand Caravan bought in '08 for 14K. I paid cash for each. They have 190K and 210K miles, respectively.

Haven't been in a Kia Sedona but we have stacks of Consumer Reports around here even though we buy a car about every 12 years. Sedonas get up arrows for drive ability and average on reliability and a down arrow on comfort, so I guess sit in it awhile before you make that offer! ;). (I bet they would let you have it for for around 28-29 K. :) )

2 years ago we went to our local new /used Toyota dealer just to look, ha ha, the day after someone traded in a 2007 Camry with 20 K something miles on it for a 4 Runner. We bought the Camry and absolutely love it. (And something like 75-80% of their parts are made in Kentucky and Indiana if you want to drive your boss around.). Mostly we love the speakers; I don't know what they are but they are good ones. :) We had a Nissan Quest van for 250,000 miles before that. :0

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

here's a couple of websites that I reference for used cars:

www.carcomplaints.com - lists complaints, common problems, recalls, TSBs and crash tests for nearly all cars less than 15 years old. it's interesting how some models have great years and some years are awful. I use this as a general guide to eliminate certain years of models.

www.fueleconomy.gov - if you click on the graph on the main page, you can look up real life fuel economy as reported by owners.

As for the '16 sedona, offering $25k for a $44k sticker car will probably get you nowhere...that's too steep a cut. He probably wouldn't sell for less than mid to high 30s.

I've purchased 4 hyundai/kias since 07 with mixed results:

07 elantra - bought this new for my step-daughter in college. it's been great and she still owns it with lots of miles.

07 spectra - bought this as a project fixer upper for my son about 3 years ago. It was wrecked in the rear quarter and door but the guy only wanted $1000 and it only had 44k on it. I took the gamble and paid for the body work and maintenance. So far, so good. This was basically a clone of the same 07 elantra i bought.

05 Sedona - bought this last year with only 72k on it. gramma van. wasn't maintained well but so far so good. sedonas ARE GAS HOGS.

11 Sonata - bought this new. my wife worked for the dealership at the time. we're looking to get rid of it next year when it gets closer to 100k. AVOID 2011 Sonatas or newer...they have engine problems, which is why we're dumping it before warranty runs out.

We're moving on from Kias/Hyundais because the newer models seem to have more problems. Plus you can get hondas/toyotas for nearly the same price.

I was just checking yesterday and Camrys are discounted in our area. You can get a new one for around $20k. Or get a certified used with 20k miles for around $15-16. Boring gramma car but a no brainer for reliability. We'll probably get a Camry when we dump the Sonata.

Edited by HemiBeers

So who likes what?

Haven't been in a Kia Sedona but we have stacks of Consumer Reports around here even though we buy a car about every 12 years. Sedonas get up arrows for drive ability and average on reliability and a down arrow on comfort, so I guess sit in it awhile before you make that offer! ;). (I bet they would let you have it for for around 28-29 K. :) )

2 years ago we went to our local new /used Toyota dealer just to look, ha ha, the day after someone traded in a 2007 Camry with 20 K something miles on it for a 4 Runner. We bought the Camry and absolutely love it. (And something like 75-80% of their parts are made in Kentucky and Indiana if you want to drive your boss around.). Mostly we love the speakers; I don't know what they are but they are good ones. :) We had a Nissan Quest van for 250,000 miles before that. :0

When I look for used, I try to find gramma cars that were barely driven.
  • Like 1

My first new car was a Mazda 323, which was great. But in the past 15 years, Mazdas have become Ford clones.

So who likes what?

If you aren't set on a specific model or brand, you can come across great deals. That Kia sounds like a great deal. I don't know much about the reliability on the Sedona, but my daughter has a Kia Spectra which has been a great car.

Edited by workingcinderellaman

So who likes what?

If you aren't set on a specific model or brand, you can come across great deals. That Kia sounds like a great deal. I don't know much about the reliability on the Sedona, but my daughter has a Kia Spectra which has been a great car.

They haven't offered me a deal on the Sedona yet. The 25K thing was me wishful thinking. I don't want to risk pissing them off yet, because if I decide to go with a Kia Soul or Forte, I'll need them to work against the other Kia dealer I'm talking to get a good deal.

So who likes what?

I've had good luck with a few Nissans, pickup and minivan. Same for Toyota, Honda, and Subaru. Living in the Northeast, that all-wheel drive may come in handy and they are just as highly rated as the other "Japanese" vehicles. I'd be a little leery of Mr. Bishi.

So who likes what?

They haven't offered me a deal on the Sedona yet. The 25K thing was me wishful thinking. I don't want to risk pissing them off yet, because if I decide to go with a Kia Soul or Forte, I'll need them to work against the other Kia dealer I'm talking to get a good deal.

I don't think they should be upset with an honest offer, even if they think it's low. And if they are, you don't want to buy from them. I had one dealer ask me how much I would pay for a used car I was looking at they had listed for $4,000. I really didn't want to buy it and I told him that. He pressed me for a number so I told him I would pay $2,000 for it. He then proceeded to tell me how insulting that price was and I told him that he didn't have to sell it to me, or any other car on his lot for that matter.

• Like 2

So who likes what?

I've had good luck with a few Nissans, pickup and minivan. Same for Toyota, Honda, and Subaru. Living in the Northeast, that all-wheel drive may come in handy and they are just as highly rated as the other "Japanese" vehicles. I'd be a little leery of Mr. Bishi.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of these:

http://www.oldcaronline.com/photos/673287/673287_1.jpg

• Like 1

Ed, you won't get a $44,000 car for $25,000. That won't happen. Maybe $35,000.

American cars have gotten a lot better over the last 20 years. You should at least test drive them and see how they compare to the foreign cars.

Have you checked out the Chevy Malibu?

You're going to get your best deal at the end of the month or end of a quarter.

Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 1

^ I would run away from the Chevrolet Malibu--possibly the fastest-depreciating sedan of all time.

Japanese (except Mitsubishi) will run long with minimal problems, and hold fair value. Simple as that. Korea has been competent at car building for a decade now, as well. American cars are good these days, but still inherently more risky. And prone to losing value faster.

^ I would run away from the Chevrolet Malibu--possibly the fastest-depreciating sedan of all time.

Japanese (except Mitsubishi) will run long with minimal problems, and hold fair value. Simple as that. Korea has been competent at car building for a decade now, as well. American cars are good these days, but still inherently more risky. And prone to losing value faster.

But a car that depreciates isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're buying a used car, depreciation can help you, especially if you're comparing it to an overvalued used car that doesn't depreciate. The bottom line is, are you getting your money's worth.

• Like 1

Well, I guess I was thinking of the Impala for fast depreciating, but all American *cars* suffer from the same fate.

Not really.

Have you priced used U.S. made diesel trucks lately?

ETA: I guess you specified "cars" which may have meant that you weren't including pickup trucks.

Edited by workingcinderellaman

Well, I guess I was thinking of the Impala for fast depreciating, but all American *cars* suffer from the same fate.

Impala's yes. Malibu, no.

As someone who has owned many American cars of the last 30 years, I can tell you first hand, that the quality is very good now.

And if you are buying a car to drive for a long period of time, then resale value isn't a big deal. If you are someone who only holds onto a car for only three of four years, then yes, pay attention to resale value.

But a car that depreciates isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're buying a used car, depreciation can help you, especially if you're comparing it to an overvalued used car that doesn't depreciate. The bottom line is, are you getting your money's worth.

The cars that depreciate the most are luxury sedans. You'll take a bath if you buy most Infinities or Cadillacs. Some BMWs are bad too.

You are absolutely right about depreciation being a big help in buying a used car. In 2014, my A6 was $59,000. I bought it in March, after it came off a three year lease. I got it for $36,000 with only 37,000 miles. It still looked brand new except for a scuff on one wheel and one door ding. I'll take that for a $23,000 savings. :haz:

• Like 1

At the moment I'm driving a 2013 plate Ford Fiesta...can't praise it enough as the handling, driveability and comfort are great in such a small package.

The real triumph is the engine though...it's a 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo, is the size of an A4 sheet of paper but goes like a rocket..unbelievable power from such a small unit...it also returns very high fuel economy, so i'm a happy bunny right now.

have owned a good few cars over the years, and like this better than most of them, even the powerful ones.

• Like 2

try this line when haggling with the salesman:

"would you rather accept less money from me today or no money at all?"

it's worked for me with software vendors but I haven't tried it with car salesman. ;)