Jump to content


Looking for love in all the wrong places


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 791 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canberra, Australia
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'm a widow of rather advanced age living at the end of the world and I like men and male companionship. I'm also educated (my late husband was a PhD in astrophysics) and really want someone I can carry on a decent conversation with. Physical intimacy may me out of the question (health issues). I've tried the online dating sites but they never turn up anybody either physically in my vicinity or they have barely graduated from high school and want to go camping and fishing.  Any ideas? I do like things like rock music and classic cars so it's not all high brow stuff I like.

Sponsored Post

#2 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5861 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

View PostIwillchooseFreeWill, on 05 August 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I'm a widow of rather advanced age living at the end of the world and I like men and male companionship. I'm also educated (my late husband was a PhD in astrophysics) and really want someone I can carry on a decent conversation with. Physical intimacy may me out of the question (health issues). I've tried the online dating sites but they never turn up anybody either physically in my vicinity or they have barely graduated from high school and want to go camping and fishing.  Any ideas? I do like things like rock music and classic cars so it's not all high brow stuff I like.

There are two things that singles around here use; I don't know if they have them in Australia but maybe some version of them?  The first is over 40 singles dances; it sounds unappealing when I put it like that but they are held regularly around here and from what I understand from a friend they are less about dancing and more about mixing and meeting other singles that grew up in the same general era.  They announce them in our local newspaper.  

The other thing is an internet site called Meetup.com.  It is an internet listing of people in your area that have formed groups that share general interests. Some of the ones on our Meetup are:  Wine lovers of Central PA; Nifty fifties and up socials; Central PA game club; Nifty Over Fifty daytime social group; etc etc. I haven't gone to any of them but it looks like they usually have a contact person that you email and they meet in a public place.

I just remembered, also, that our library has a lot of things that some pretty interesting retired men used to attend!  Four different book groups and music events.  I don't know if Australia has a lot of public libraries but maybe something like that would be a way to meet people as well.  Just meeting a few new people might expand your social circle a bit and lead to meeting someone interesting.  :)

Edited by blueschica, 06 August 2017 - 11:56 AM.


#3 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3036 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:The Final Frontier
  • Interests:art, supernatural, Holy Trinity of Metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

I don't think a man's educational level is indicative of his value as a person.  I dumped a man who was a PhD candidate.  I wasn't attracted to him and he was too old for me.

#4 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 9838 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

I don't know if they have it in Australia but I've seen commercials for online dating sites for people over 50. It's worth a look to see if something like that is in your area I'd you haven't tried already.

#5 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 791 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canberra, Australia
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

View Postblueschica, on 06 August 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

View PostIwillchooseFreeWill, on 05 August 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I'm a widow of rather advanced age living at the end of the world and I like men and male companionship. I'm also educated (my late husband was a PhD in astrophysics) and really want someone I can carry on a decent conversation with. Physical intimacy may me out of the question (health issues). I've tried the online dating sites but they never turn up anybody either physically in my vicinity or they have barely graduated from high school and want to go camping and fishing.  Any ideas? I do like things like rock music and classic cars so it's not all high brow stuff I like.

There are two things that singles around here use; I don't know if they have them in Australia but maybe some version of them?  The first is over 40 singles dances; it sounds unappealing when I put it like that but they are held regularly around here and from what I understand from a friend they are less about dancing and more about mixing and meeting other singles that grew up in the same general era.  They announce them in our local newspaper.  

The other thing is an internet site called Meetup.com.  It is an internet listing of people in your area that have formed groups that share general interests.    Some of the ones on our Meetup are:  Wine lovers of Central PA; Nifty fifties and up socials; Central PA game club; Nifty Over Fifty daytime social group; etc etc.    I haven't gone to any of them but it looks like they usually have a contact person that you email and they meet in a public place.

I just remembered, also, that our library has a lot of things that some pretty interesting retired men used to attend!  Four different book groups and music events.  I don't know if Australia has a lot of public libraries but maybe something like that would be a way to meet people as well.  Just meeting a few new people might expand your social circle a bit and lead to meeting someone interesting.  :)

I've thought about those things but right now I have limited mobility. Cross fingers, I will improve. I would even be interested in an email conversation sharing common interests. Thanks for giving it some thought

#6 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5861 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

View PostIwillchooseFreeWill, on 06 August 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 06 August 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

View PostIwillchooseFreeWill, on 05 August 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I'm a widow of rather advanced age living at the end of the world and I like men and male companionship. I'm also educated (my late husband was a PhD in astrophysics) and really want someone I can carry on a decent conversation with. Physical intimacy may me out of the question (health issues). I've tried the online dating sites but they never turn up anybody either physically in my vicinity or they have barely graduated from high school and want to go camping and fishing.  Any ideas? I do like things like rock music and classic cars so it's not all high brow stuff I like.

There are two things that singles around here use; I don't know if they have them in Australia but maybe some version of them?  The first is over 40 singles dances; it sounds unappealing when I put it like that but they are held regularly around here and from what I understand from a friend they are less about dancing and more about mixing and meeting other singles that grew up in the same general era.  They announce them in our local newspaper.  

The other thing is an internet site called Meetup.com.  It is an internet listing of people in your area that have formed groups that share general interests. Some of the ones on our Meetup are:  Wine lovers of Central PA; Nifty fifties and up socials; Central PA game club; Nifty Over Fifty daytime social group; etc etc. I haven't gone to any of them but it looks like they usually have a contact person that you email and they meet in a public place.

I just remembered, also, that our library has a lot of things that some pretty interesting retired men used to attend!  Four different book groups and music events.  I don't know if Australia has a lot of public libraries but maybe something like that would be a way to meet people as well.  Just meeting a few new people might expand your social circle a bit and lead to meeting someone interesting.  :)

I've thought about those things but right now I have limited mobility. Cross fingers, I will improve. I would even be interested in an email conversation sharing common interests. Thanks for giving it some thought

Yes, I remember you had a bad fall.  I hope things get better as spring approaches!

#7 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 69712 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:08 AM

View PostBoots, on 06 August 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

I don't think a man's educational level is indicative of his value as a person.  I dumped a man who was a PhD candidate.  I wasn't attracted to him and he was too old for me.
I don't think she was being disparaging of anyone because of their educational level, I think she was indicating that she didn't think they'd have enough shared interests to sustain the kind of relationship she's looking for.  That doesn't mean she thinks they're of lesser value.

#8 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 791 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canberra, Australia
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:00 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 07 August 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

View PostBoots, on 06 August 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

I don't think a man's educational level is indicative of his value as a person.  I dumped a man who was a PhD candidate.  I wasn't attracted to him and he was too old for me.
I don't think she was being disparaging of anyone because of their educational level, I think she was indicating that she didn't think they'd have enough shared interests to sustain the kind of relationship she's looking for.  That doesn't mean she thinks they're of lesser value.

Exactly. If you don't get literary allusions or know at least one foreign language. You could be self educated like some drummers we know and still be able to hold up your end of a conversation. But I don't think I'm interested in somebody who scraped through high school and now is a mechanic (although we could talk about cars, one of my hobbies).




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users