Jump to content


The Atlantic: Prog Rock is the Whitest Music Ever

trapped eunuch ferocity the tragically pseudo hip

  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 11942 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 04 August 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 04 August 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 04 August 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

Quote

The trapped, eunuch ferocity of Geddy Lee’s voice, squealing inside the nonsense clockwork of Rush, disturbs me...

Oh my.
Dude is a pussy. I ever see him in a bar I'll beat him over the head with a Presto compact disk.
It's only right that you use the musical equivalent of a wet noodle (thanks for the obvious setup)

oh thank god .. the time away from the forum hasn't changed you

Sponsored Post

#22 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 11942 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

This is Dave Weigel

One picture is worth a thousand words

Posted Image

#23 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5489 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gillette, Wyoming
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:11 AM

He mentions Tool and Meshugga as a few modern  seen bands he enjoys that dabble in prog influence. Both those bands are more self indulgent and pretentious than Rush and Yes combined.

Edited by Xanadoood, 05 August 2017 - 01:11 AM.


#24 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5221 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:15 AM

View PostAncient Ways, on 04 August 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

Doesn't bother me since I don't really like prog, just rush.
Rush hasn't really been very proggy for quite a while but once they got the label, it stuck.

#25 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10105 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:59 AM

Someone doesn't like prog and decided to write about it.......move along, nothing to see here.....

#26 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 34104 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:01 AM

This thread reminds me how little I give a damn abkut anything and how many cupcakes I haven't baked lately.

#27 Texas King

Texas King

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1818 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:01 AM

"The Atlantic: Prog Rock is the Whitest Music Ever"

What is a meaning of "WHITE"? Can someone explain me?

#28 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 803 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canberra, Australia
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:44 AM

Geeez. I used to respect the Atlantic, but this kind of blatant hate has no place in a decent publication. Why bother to write an article about how much you hate something?

#29 By Tor

By Tor

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 683 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester. UK.
  • Interests:Music, Live Music , Films , Books , Football and all things Sci Fi .

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:54 AM

Interesting how some people only listen to Rush when it comes to Prog !

I would say also Folk and especially Trad Folk is white music
But yes Prog is without doubt the whitest music

#30 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 73596 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:29 AM

View PostLucas, on 04 August 2017 - 11:38 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 04 August 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 04 August 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 04 August 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

Quote

The trapped, eunuch ferocity of Geddy Lee’s voice, squealing inside the nonsense clockwork of Rush, disturbs me...

Oh my.
Dude is a pussy. I ever see him in a bar I'll beat him over the head with a Presto compact disk.
It's only right that you use the musical equivalent of a wet noodle (thanks for the obvious setup)

oh thank god .. the time away from the forum hasn't changed you
They say that time heals all wounds...but 9 months away isn't nearly enough to close the festering sore that is Presto.

#31 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4437 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:55 AM

music journalists.... :moon:

Prog Music...it's the other white meat.

Edited by HemiBeers, 05 August 2017 - 06:57 AM.


#32 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

Quote

"You nerds don't get it because you're not as smart and cool as me. Allow me to enlighten and belittle you while I use a lot of 20-point Scrabble words."

SOCN in one sentence.  :lol: :cool:

#33 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:34 AM

View PostTexas King, on 05 August 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

"The Atlantic: Prog Rock is the Whitest Music Ever"

What is a meaning of "WHITE"? Can someone explain me?

Clearly racist.  :16ton:

#34 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 05 August 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

This thread reminds me how little I give a damn abkut anything and how many cupcakes I haven't baked lately.
Get busy.   And write a quick rebuttal article for the Atlantic while they are in the oven.  :)

#35 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 23846 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

View Postthirteen, on 04 August 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

I don't consider myself a 'Prog Fan'. Rush is the only prog I listen to, although I do like some songs from other bands in the genre. Most prog doesn't engage me emotionally, but I respect the musical prowess none the less. I just wish prog was more 'song' and less 'look at what I can do'. As for Prog's arch nemesis Punk? It does nothing for me on any level.

It's the same for me.  Neither genre is really a favorite of mine.  

Interesting that he seems to like punk while criticizing prog for not being catchy enough.

#36 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 05 August 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

View Postthirteen, on 04 August 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

I don't consider myself a 'Prog Fan'. Rush is the only prog I listen to, although I do like some songs from other bands in the genre. Most prog doesn't engage me emotionally, but I respect the musical prowess none the less. I just wish prog was more 'song' and less 'look at what I can do'. As for Prog's arch nemesis Punk? It does nothing for me on any level.

It's the same for me.  Neither genre is really a favorite of mine.  

Interesting that he seems to like punk while criticizing prog for not being catchy enough.

I found that odd too.

#37 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 73596 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

View PostLorraine, on 05 August 2017 - 07:32 AM, said:

Quote

"You nerds don't get it because you're not as smart and cool as me. Allow me to enlighten and belittle you while I use a lot of 20-point Scrabble words."

SOCN in one sentence.  :lol: :cool:
Well, this thread may end up there after this post, but here goes with one take on why the author feels that prog is the whitest music ever.

For someone who hates prog, he seems to have quite a bit of his thinking rooted in and defined by prog music.     In fact, his basic theme seems to take from one of the greatest prog albums ever, Hemispheres, albeit in a way that Neil would completely reject and say that is a malignant use of the basic premise of his work.    Not to mention that the genesis for the author's theme came from listening to a prog musician he quotes (though strangely doesn't name) in the article.

Basically, the author seems that there is a division (irrevocably so in his mind) between the mind and heart (as embodied in the body, as bad a turn of phrase as that is), with whiteness associated with the logical mind (the European classical roots) and "blackness" associated with feeling the music.    He doesn't, as Peart explicitly says is possible (and appropriate)--though he would reject the simplistic,malignant associations between the hemispheres of the brain and the races--attempt to reconcile the two but thinks that they must be separate (and presumably unequal).    As someone firmly entrenched on the left, he doesn't see this as the explicitly racist take it is, but appears to see whiteness as the ultimate evil, redeeming himself by choosing the black over the white (proggers having somehow "gotten away with murder, artistically speaking" in his words, and concluding by touting the triumph of a well known African American group from the 1970s over those oppressive proggers ("(a)nd then, like justice, came the Ramones").

This word salad, if it could be compared to real salad, is the equivalent of the cheapest stuff you could buy out of a bag at Walmart, after about two weeks on the shelf and a month in your freezer.

#38 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6854 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Jul
    Tedeschi Trucks Band - Oct
    Brian Wilson - Dec

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

I'm reading the book now.   Not looking.

#39 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 11942 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

Prog Rock is the Whitest Music Ever

As one of the whitest people you will ever meet, this makes me very happy .. I fail to see the problem here

I just thank God it's prog and not Riverdance music

#40 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 34104 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

View PostLucas, on 05 August 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Prog Rock is the Whitest Music Ever

As one of the whitest people you will ever meet, this makes me very happy .. I fail to see the problem here

I just thank God it's prog and not Riverdance music

Riverdance music is as negro as it gets.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trapped eunuch ferocity, the tragically pseudo hip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users